Hey Dan….. (merged threads) | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Hey Dan….. (merged threads)

Reaction Score
Actually they are. They aren’t nearly as good offensively, but they are way tougher on the whole and bump you all over Court. Peecee plays vintage BigEast hoops
Nah, I’ve been thoroughly impressed by Xavier. Different level than PC

Reaction Score
And unless something changes, when / if this team gets down at the end of a game, guys that can be shooting quick threes are Hawkins, Calcatara, and Karaban, with a nod to Newton, Diarra, and Alleyne if need be. NOT Andre Jackson. He can hit them, with time, when set, in the flow of the offense. Chuck and duck is not his game. That's gonna be a problem in this kind of situation

Reaction Score
And Jackson didn’t either. Kid thinks he’s a 3 point shooter now.
Also dislike his defense. He consistently gets beat going to the rim, relying on the fact, he can usually outjump a player and block them from behind. That is not good defense.
Sadly, Jackson, for all the great things he does, absolutely gets beat by guys going to the rim WAY too frequently. He bodies guys up and rides them, but can't get in front of them for some reason.

Reaction Score
And unless something changes, when / if this team gets down at the end of a game, guys that can be shooting quick threes are Hawkins, Calcatara, and Karaban, with a nod to Newton, Diarra, and Alleyne if need be. NOT Andre Jackson. He can hit them, with time, when set, in the flow of the offense. Chuck and duck is not his game. That's gonna be a problem in this kind of situation
Agree. I don't mind Andre taking 3's in the flow of the offense when he's open, but the game was still within reach when he started chucking up 3's. The ball needs to go to hawk or Joey C in those situations.

Reaction Score
The T was bad timing, but the foul discrepancy was abhorrent. Didn’t hate the Tech, just the timing of it

Reaction Score
This thread must be a joke. Some fans we have here on the boneyard. 14-0 and #2 Hurley is the best and lose a tough game where the refs were awful and you’re all complaining. If and when he leaves, partially because of some trash fans, you’ll be missing him. Ollie days were fun tho.

Reaction Score
This thread must be a joke. Some fans we have here on the boneyard. 14-0 and #2 Hurley is the best and lose a tough game where the refs were awful and you’re all complaining. If and when he leaves, partially because of some trash fans, you’ll be missing him. Ollie days were fun tho.
If you think Hurley will ever leave because of “trash fans”, you arent very bright. There are critics everywhere at high level programs. Comes with the territory.

Give me a break

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
His scoring is great (incredible even) and they have to game plan for him defensively but there's a lot more to the game than that. Why do we have to roll with him for 33 minutes when he was sieve defensively?

Sanogo is obviously a much more skilled offensive player/scorer than Clingan at this stage but Clingan is a much better defender, he shuts down the paint and is a much better rebounder than Sanogo.

The luxury of having Clingan is that he does some of the things Sanogo isn't so great at and does them amazingly well. There's no reason Sanogo's minutes should basically be what they are last year like tzznandrew is suggesting.
Think the biggest difference between the 2 is the Clingan is a play finisher and Sanogo is a creator. Clingan can’t create his own offense but he finishes so easily it doesn’t matter…

That puts so much pressure on a defense that opens driving lanes and keep shot blockers attached to him. Because if they step out then it’s a dunk… that’s important and matters. Not to mention his passing and what he does defensively. There’s no reason for Sanogo to play when he isn’t playing well…

Reaction Score
Jackson took 1/3 of UConn's three point attempts (albeit several of them gunned up at the end). That's not great. Hurley's T was at a huge point in the game (right at the start of the game ending 13-2 runs).

Team faced real adversity for the first time, which is good in the long run, but the way the team seemed to respond wasn't great today. Hopefully they'll learn from it. Onto Providence.

Reaction Score
Because Clingan only plays 10-20 minutes, he looks incredible. These people don't know what they're watching if they think he should be playing over Sanogo.

And next year Clingan may be better than Sanogo is this year, and that will be used as justification that he should have played more this year, as if sophomores aren't necessarily better than their freshman selves.
Just so off base…people know what they are looking at. Nobody is suggesting he goes 40. We are talking about not wasting a talented 7 footer when you’re getting murdered inside and he was contributing and altering the game when he was in.

Reaction Score
If you think Hurley will ever leave because of “trash fans”, you arent very bright. There are critics everywhere at high level programs. Comes with the territory.

Give me a break
Couldn't agree more- Last week Hurley is National Coach of the year....today he is a bum.
He is an excellent coach who has assembled this great team. Lots of ball left this season - relax and enjoy!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Firstly, DH has brought some really good talent for the UConn men's program and has some good ones coming in next season. He has proven that he can recruit, albeit it helps with a last name Hurley. People here blast KO for the lack of talent that he recruited, and you cannot argue it has been better with DH. However you have ask yourself, could DH recruit at the same level had UConn not entered the NBE, had not UConn been the elite team in the OBE, had UConn not won won 4 NCs in the last 25 years? I'm more than quite sure the answer is no. But he has the players and you have to be happy about that fact.
I and others here have questioned DH's ability to be an effective in game coach. I have suggested he have a mentor to help him with managing changing line-ups to take advantage of mismatches, having a trust in all the young players; not a chosen few. Xs and Os has never been a strong part of his arsenal but he has coached quite a few years and should be better at this point. He seems to get lost in big situations and get caught up in things other than what he needs to pay attention to at the time. Why was DC sitting on the bench the last 12 minutes of the 2nd half? Why was Newton in there when he was not contributing?
To be honest the T was almost an expectation. He lost his composure and it's hard for him not to do so.
The loss is not the end of the world and I would rather see a loss to a ranked opponent on their home court than to PC, DePaul or worse yet, to a lower seed in the 1st round of the NCAAs
DH needs to win a NBE title, tournament and some NCAA games to be deemed a success
I think he can do this if he works on his weaknesses which to some of us are clear to see.
Do I want him gone? No. The players seem to like him and as was pointed out, he brings in some really nice talent.
Let's put this game behind and forge ahead
There's lots of basketball to be played - at PC will not be easy and Creighton in 7 days will be a huge game.
Let's go Huskies

Reaction Score
A better set of refs would have monitored the foul discrepancy.

I’m not saying they weren’t fouling much. But the calls against were ticky tacky if you’re going to argue X wasn’t doing the same thing.
Do you seriously believe it is the refs job to "monitor" foul discrepancies? If you do, is it your conclusion that the refs should look for "make-up" calls to balance the ledger. Absurd.

Reaction Score
It's not the worst tech I've seen, he's gotten 3 or 4 that have been just as bad as that one.

Calhoun got technicals, but he never got them with 2 minutes left in a 3 point game. We're not winning anything if he can't keep his compusure in a close game.
If Calhoun had been coaching this team today, he would have gotten his 2nd technical early 2nd half. He never backed down from a bad ref, Hurley on the other hand………….

Reaction Score
Agree with the chorus that would have liked to see some of our subs get more time (Clingan, Joe Cali, Diarra) and much less Jackson, Newton, Sanogo and Karaban. How many “And 1’s” did Karaban allow?

Our D was off, Xavier shot over 50 percent for the game.

If I’m playing against UConn, I’d give Jackson any open 3 he wants at anytime.

I like Clingan in the game more as he creates more spacing for the guards for some reason. Sanogo is too slow and seems to clog up the offense. I know - probably in the minority here. Finally, I wish Sanogo wouldn’t hedge so much on D when the other team screens up top. Sanofo creates big holes either for the player he is guarding as he rushes back or for the guard. He’s trying to be like Whaley but he needs to trust our guards to play d with a softer hedge.

MyDorona

The Hebrew Hammer
Reaction Score
To be fair, we've had numerous stars (Ben Gordon) not really "get it" until past 2.5 years.
This is a really odd take. I was 20 years old and a student at the University when Gentle Ben debuted. I remember his first season very well. It was very clear to anyone who saw him play that he was a gifted scorer from day one.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's not the worst tech I've seen, he's gotten 3 or 4 that have been just as bad as that one.

Calhoun got technicals, but he never got them with 2 minutes left in a 3 point game. We're not winning anything if he can't keep his compusure in a close game.

I got the sense that Calhoun technicals were strategic, particularly later in his career. I don’t get that since with Danny yet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom