Here we Are | The Boneyard

Here we Are

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well here we are. Elite 8. USC is gonna be a tuff grind it out game. But havent we been playing like that for quite a while. A suffocating defense and with the best player in WCBB we have survived. I would think as many of you have mentioned we will need a deeper bench Monday night. During one of Geno's interviews he mentioned we were tired. It showed late in the game as Duke was able to get more easily open and make some shots. This was a slowed down game and to have a 20 pt lead in a slowed down game is really really good. To lose that big lead is something that needed to be addressed. We may need to go 6 or 7 deep tomorrow night to avoid getting tired and avoid foul trouble.

UConn has grown into a very solid team. We know are roles and we are very proficient in executing our game plan. Defensively we suffocate opponents. This will be a big problem for USC. Paige can score and take over games with a high efficiency. This is huge moving forward.

I feel if we avoid injuries and foul trouble our defense will do the talking for us. We will need rest and that means time outs and use of a deeper bench. I expect UConn to play a deliberate game not rushing on offense which may lead to a lower score. If our defense creates alot of turnovers we could run up the score. I like our chances in this game alot. I like the way we have been able to control games too.

UConn by 5 in this game.

Reaction Score
USC on paper features similarities to the top teams that beat UConn this season. At every spot, USC will have a size advantage. Since Geno is reluctant to use his short bench, it is even more incumbent on the starters to play intelligently and relatively foul free. This is a tall task given that JuJu Watkins is the nation's leader in free throw attempts. Whoever is assigned to guard her must stay in front of her or else risking fouling on her drives to the basket.

So who will be given the task? In my mind, I would start Ashlynn out on Watkins, who will have a size advantage over any player covering her. Although Paige would be up for the task and probably welcome the challenge, she is already asked to do too many things for the team. UConn needs her scoring and assistance in helping Aaliyah on the boards. Following around Watkins would wear her out and zap her energy as the game progresses. UConn doesn't need a repeat of the 4th quarter of the Duke contest.

Nika is too valuable and has to stay on the court. Guarding JuJu, she'd likely get into foul trouble. However, she can do a lock-down job on Forbes, taking away USC's secondary scoring option. KK can be assigned to cover Padilla. That leaves Aaliyah on Marshall and keeping her off the offensive glass.

Ashlynn won't be able to shut down Watkins, but if she's able to stay in front of her and UConn is tight on their switches, JuJu might fall in love with the 3-pt shot, like she did in the Baylor game, where she was 2-11. She is most dangerous when getting into the midrange. She would do UConn a favor by launching double digit 3-pt attempts. Watkins is a tremendous talent and I feel she's more of a threat and makes USC more dangerous when she tries to facilitate, getting her teammates involved. When she's in this mode, she creates space and collects fouls - something UConn can ill afford to do.

Aaliyah has to step up offensively and help out Paige. We witnessed how gassed the team was, particularly Paige, in the 4th quarter. It's imperative that UConn control tempo and either be in the lead or keep the game close in the 4th. USC has played a lot of big games, but this is for a berth in the Final Four. UConn's 3 seniors have been there before, and if experience is a true separator, then UConn should have an advantage in a tight ballgame. That, and also Paige.

Should UConn get by USC, let's hope that Iowa can beat LSU. They are a better matchup for UConn. Before getting ahead of ourselves, there's a game to be played Monday night.

Reaction Score
I know no matter how the game ends up, our girls won’t back down or give up. They will fight and claw and do whatever they can to pull out a victory.

I think Geno is going to have to consider going to at least 7 players off the bench. Ice and Q. Fatigue is real and they have a quick turn to the next game. I think Aaliyah will be fine as she did sit a lot, but man Paige and Nika looked spent. Even if he can get them a couple minutes of a breather it could pay off big In the second half and Q4.

Should be a great game!

Reaction Score
Just to get clear on size issues, since these often get garbled in threads like this one:

USC's starting lineup is 6'4" 6'2" 6'2" 6'0" 5'9" and they bring 6'6" and 5'7" off the bench

Baylor started 6'1" 6'0" 5'11" 5'7" 5'6" with 6'0" off the bench and almost beat them.

Also worth noting one of those 6'2"s on USC is supposed to be Juju, but I don't think that's accurate. She might be 6'1", but she looks 6'0" to me. Of course, camera angles can be deceiving and I've never seen her in person.

Our starting lineup will be 6'3" 6'0" 5'11" 5'10" 5'9" with 6'3" (and maybe 6'0") off the bench.

It makes more sense to compare our height to Baylor's than to USC's since Baylor almost beat them and they play a game a little like ours. If Baylor can play them even up through 4 quarters and come within a point of winning (score was 72-71 with 22 seconds remaining) so can we.

Matchups:
Aaliyah - Marshall at worst this one is break even, but I expect Aaliyah will have a good game against her at both ends
Paige - Davis (or maybe Forbes) not even close to even
KK - Padilla break even
Ash - Forbes not even given Ash's scoring potential
Nika - Juju best Nika can hope for is to slow her down

If Paige and Juju trade 30s, will Aaliyah and Ash outscore Marshall and Forbes? That's the question that will be decided tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Well here we are. Elite 8. USC is gonna be a tuff grind it out game. But havent we been playing like that for quite a while. A suffocating defense and with the best player in WCBB we have survived. I would think as many of you have mentioned we will need a deeper bench Monday night. During one of Geno's interviews he mentioned we were tired. It showed late in the game as Duke was able to get more easily open and make some shots. This was a slowed down game and to have a 20 pt lead in a slowed down game is really really good. To lose that big lead is something that needed to be addressed. We may need to go 6 or 7 deep tomorrow night to avoid getting tired and avoid foul trouble.

UConn has grown into a very solid team. We know are roles and we are very proficient in executing our game plan. Defensively we suffocate opponents. This will be a big problem for USC. Paige can score and take over games with a high efficiency. This is huge moving forward.

I feel if we avoid injuries and foul trouble our defense will do the talking for us. We will need rest and that means time outs and use of a deeper bench. I expect UConn to play a deliberate game not rushing on offense which may lead to a lower score. If our defense creates alot of turnovers we could run up the score. I like our chances in this game alot. I like the way we have been able to control games too.

UConn by 5 in this game.
You really believe that "seeing is not believing?" Coach has left Q glued to the bench, and I cannot imagine him changing unless he has no choice. On Q's last outing, she turned the ball over and committed a foul in about 60 seconds. That is why she sits. At this level, those kind of mistakes cannot be tolerated. I love Q and hope she becomes a star. But she is on the cusp of becoming a permanent bench player, who will only be seen in blow outs. And next season, the competition for time becomes much more intense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom