Here is another angle of the call in the final seconds, It looks to be the correct call. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Here is another angle of the call in the final seconds, It looks to be the correct call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Honestly tired of the call. I wish after the steal Paige had not called a timeout but just pushed the ball. Of course, she didn't play aggressively the entire game so it seemed fitting that she would call a timeout there. Maybe Geno called it too. I don't know.

Reaction Score
The illegality of the play may be in the eye of the beholder. Hoops luminaries from Kelsey Plum, whose NCAA Division I scoring record was broken by Clark this season, to LeBron James believed the refs should have let it go.

“I ain’t rolling with that call,” James posted on X.

Reaction Score

Gee! Do you think you are a little biased? If after all the fouls not called last night SC was the recipient of that call you would sit back and say that was the correct call? Nonsense . Go back and watch the game and look at all the obvious blatant fouls( Caitlin push off for example) not called and then justify a ref deciding who wins or loses that game, heralded as the greatest women’s game ever for purposes of growing the sport. We know the sport intimately. We know you don’t make the call unless the pressure is too much for you in which case you should not be in that game.

Reaction Score
You don't know that, it's your opinion. I just showed you proof that the call was correct. I said it before, if you want to be in the national championship game, beat the opponent by 20. Don't complain when you lose by 1 or 2 points then blame the refs.

If my Gamecocks lose by a couple of points, I will blame the coaches and players for not wanting the championship bad enough to beat IOWA handily. Blaming refs for a small point margin loss is lame. You have to take to totality of the game.
You don't know that, it's your opinion.
Bad mouth does not know how to talk ....

Reaction Score
That assumes Edwards had set her position and then reached out, which is not the case. Edwards has the right to space just like Marshall. If you notice, Edwards planted right before Marshall's last step.

Could you call that? Sure. Did you call that all game? Probably not.
Even so, at that live or die moment Edwards was reckless to chance it.

Reaction Score
You don't know that, it's your opinion. I just showed you proof that the call was correct. I said it before, if you want to be in the national championship game, beat the opponent by 20. Don't complain when you lose by 1 or 2 points then blame the refs.

If my Gamecocks lose by a couple of points, I will blame the coaches and players for not wanting the championship bad enough to beat IOWA handily. Blaming refs for a small point margin loss is lame. You have to take to totality of the game.
No you didnt. You showed what was already known, it was a borderline call at best.
If, as you suggest, taking the totality of the game, you would have seen iowa getting away with that EXACT screen, repeatedly. Sometimes twice running the same play trying to get clark open. Stuhlke didnt set a screen all night that was legal. Which is fine, if that is the way you are calling the game.
Whats lame is making that call with 4 seconds left when it hadnt been called on the other side all night.

Get a clue

Reaction Score
Thank you.
@BigTenGuy is trying to cheat us. Shame on him...
My apologies. Thought the tweet I posted had interesting video, which is why I posted it. My bias/lack of objectivity is also clear from my moniker, which is why I said nothing other than post the tweet with the video. Just thought that some might find the video interesting. This board has a great many WBB observers much more knowledgeable than I am. Peace.

Reaction Score
At that point in time and a borderline foul where the defenders were in place it should have been a play on. Especially given the way the game had been called for 39 minutes and 50 seconds It’ll be interesting to see if that ref will be calling any future tournament games.

Reaction Score
The issues are 1) almost all high ball screens involve movement and could be called, but are not, so its selective enforcement, and 2) the impact of calling the foul is all out of proportion to the impact of the foul. Was that move by Edwards a game defining move 20 + feet from the basket? No. Was the call game defining? It was.

Reaction Score
I still don't like that call being made to decide a final 4 game but it was pretty egregious, she was moving/sliding and stuck her elbow out. If people want to be mad at someone on the final play it should really be Geno for the play call. It's not all that surprising something like this would go wrong and they wouldn't even be able to get a shot up, way too many moving parts.
They probably practiced this play over and over for just this situation! Blame Geno? I don’t think so! The blame remains where it should be; on the Jackass that called a (at best) marginal call that decided the game with three seconds left! Thank you for your enlightening opinion though!

Reaction Score
Foul, not a foul, technically a foul. Okay. Still no reason to call it there. "If you call it in the first quarter you have to call it in the final seconds." But that's the thing: This isn't called all the time! Refs do let plays like that go constantly and in that moment when it's not really affecting the play, just play on.

In an alternate universe, the foul isn't called, Paige hits the 3...no one is outraged about a missed illegal screen. Sure, Iowa fans are upset. Some Twitter people point out, hey, technically that should be a foul! But there's no national angst or anger. I know this because in the past 133 years since Naismith started the game, I remember zero buzzer beaters that sparked outrage because an illegal screen went uncalled. And I guarantee a lot have been set on game winners over the past decades.

On my Twitter feed last night a high school ref was going on and on about how you HAVE to call that and folks saying it shouldn't be called don't know the game and have obviously never reffed a game and simply don't understand basketball. Meanwhile, also on my Twitter feed, two other high school refs--one of whom had just done a state tourney game--were saying you absolutely don't call that. So to act like it's something that has to be called because of the letter of the law...come on.

Reaction Score

We have many great posters on the BY who are fans of other teams; you sir are not one of them. We don’t need you to come on here and also in another thread telling us how we should feel or act on the day after a very tough loss!

Reaction Score
Plain & simple you don't make a borderline foul call in closing seconds that will end the game...you let games be decided by made or missed shots unless a foul is blatant & obvious.

Were the Refs straight out told to get Caitlin to Monday night if you have the opportunity to...probably not, but you open yourselves up to conspiracy theories with the foul discrepancy all game and the game-ending bs foul at the end.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score

Okay, you came onto the UConn board, where we readily accept fans of other teams with open arms, and not once, but twice, poured salt on what you know is a deep and painful wound. What's your motivation? Maybe it makes you feel good to upset fans of the greatest program in college basketball history. Maybe you have a miserable life and you need to beat up on someone because the world has beaten up on you. Maybe your mommy didn't breastfeed you long enough. Regardless of the circumstances that made you the flawed human being you are, you can move along. You've had your fun. It's time to get gussied up for your date with your cousin tonight.
Peace

Reaction Score
Wrong time to make that call. Now for all the purists who would claim there is no wrong time...I would say that a referee must understand the moment. With three seconds left, a kid is going to have to force up a quick shot. It either goes in or it doesn't. The players get to decide the outcome of the game it should not be left up to the referees. If the shot goes in then UConn pulls off the upset if it doesn't then Iowa becomes a team of destiny...that should be the script. From the context provided here, that foul call on AE was one of the worst calls in college sports history. They robbed UConn of a fair chance to win. The was a full-on ratings FIX to get Caitlin to the finals.
I call BS. Lastly, a call of that nature unfairly places the player it is called on in a position where they blame themselves for the loss.

It was a great game and it is too bad it will be remembered for the call instead of the great play of the players. 5 years from now everyone will remember that AE got called for an illegal screen costing UConn a chance to get to the finals. No one will remember who the foul was committed on except the players from Iowa. If there ever was a time for a no-call play-on moment this was it.
I was on TikTok and I'm sure the comments were from Iowa fans being they claimed it was a foul and it was the right call. Understanding if I jumped in with my take on it I would be ganged up on which is exactly what happened. The point I was making was the same a cferraro04. I asked the question if the foul wasn't called and UConn hit the winning shot would anybody scream about the illegal screen? I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom