Herbst Stepping Down | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Herbst Stepping Down

Reaction Score
This is no time to rejoice. Replacing her will not be easy. Susan has been our greatest President and those who've been critical will soon come to miss her incredibly dynamic, forward looking leadership.

The primary goal of a University President is not to make the Athletic Department succeed. I think the criticism of her on conference realignment is patently absurd, but even if she had culpability there she was a great President for our state flagship and the odds that she will be replaced with someone stronger is really low.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's not just Herbst but UConn in general which has basically failed to set up research programs which lead to economic development. UConn also has yet to evolve into a major research university. No surprise we are not in AAU.

And that has nothing to do with our giving most major state flagships about a 100 year head start before the state cared about ours?

Reaction Score
Another mind blowing thread on the Yard. Unbelievable. The level of consistency in some of the posters here is awe inspiring. You never cease to amaze. There is no depth of cluelessness that is unreachable. No height of sheer stupidity beyond your grasp.

I tip my cap. Bravo!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Another mind blowing thread on the Yard. Unbelievable. The level of consistency in some of the posters here is awe inspiring. You never cease to amaze. There is no depth of cluelessness that is unreachable. No height of sheer stupidity beyond your grasp.

I tip my cap. Bravo!

You must not criticize our sacred cow.

Reaction Score
Opportunity to get somebody better with a bigger vision and ability to execute on it. UConn should be an economic hub adding to the success of Connecticut.

Reaction Score
The primary goal of a University President is not to make the Athletic Department succeed. I think the criticism of her on conference realignment is patently absurd, but even if she had culpability there she was a great President for our state flagship and the odds that she will be replaced with someone stronger is really low.
The endowment increased about $120 million or 35% during her seven years as president. Was roughly $300 million when she came in and is about $420 million now according to Wiki.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's not just Herbst but UConn in general which has basically failed to set up research programs which lead to economic development. UConn also has yet to evolve into a major research university. No surprise we are not in AAU.

UConn is an R1 research school and recognized "Public Ivy" school. There are not a lot of public Universities that can make that claim.

Reaction Score
Opportunity to get somebody better with a bigger vision and ability to execute on it. UConn should be an economic hub adding to the success of Connecticut.
What success has there been in CT based on CT policies, leadership, academics, or business growth? Now in terms of businesses moving out, trucking companies doing well, and perhaps ;) the tolls were to get one more squeeze on the people leaving. First out of UConn’s control but needs a vast improvement is attracting companies to move here for economic reasons. We used to be in the top 5 for U.S. manufacturing, then we became blue, shipped our jobs everywhere else, used bribery as a policy to get companies to stay, and stated these jobs are not the jobs we want, we want to be hi-tech. And how did that turn out? Silicon Valley is still the hi-tech place to go. So although there is some research happening, for the most part it is more attractive to do elsewhere and we lost what we once had by not fighting for it. So let’s not make America great let’s not make CT great, but you can stay here, me i’m Counting the weeks I have before i’m in NC. Good riddance and for those praising the blue please stay and enjoy your poo pie!

Reaction Score
BINGO....

No attack BlueDogs but you used UConn, economic (economy) and Connecticut in the same sentence. Do you and those that think the same have any idea just how close this state is to bankruptcy???

Again no mean spirit here but do any of those that think UConn sports are the Holy Grail (as I do myself) realize the med school is millions in debt and has been for some time? They made it bigger and better but it still is losing money at a rate faster than us fans on our beer tab. I am surprised Susan stayed as long as she did, while giving it her best at trying to bleed a rock.

I'll not disagree with your opportunity to get somebody better comment, obviously there is that chance. I will say in my opinion the odds of that are about the same as our football team being in the NC picture this year. Every one with any knowledge at all sees the writing on the wall. It will take a very optimistic ladder climber to want this job. We can only hope he / she has what it takes. I hope your prediction is right! ;)

Reaction Score
BINGO....

No attack BlueDogs but you used UConn, economic (economy) and Connecticut in the same sentence. Do you and those that think the same have any idea just how close this state is to bankruptcy???

Again no mean spirit here but do any of those that think UConn sports are the Holy Grail (as I do myself) realize the med school is millions in debt and has been for some time? They made it bigger and better but it still is losing money at a rate faster than us fans on our beer tab. I am surprised Susan stayed as long as she did, while giving it her best at trying to bleed a rock.

I'll not disagree with your opportunity to get somebody better comment, obviously there is that chance. I will say in my opinion the odds of that are about the same as our football team being in the NC picture this year. Every one with any knowledge at all sees the writing on the wall. It will take a very optimistic ladder climber to want this job. We can only hope he / she has what it takes. I hope your prediction is right! ;)
Any blue state right now that has no major natural resources (like oil, mining (metalic ores, potash, coal) agriculture, shipping, lumber) or even tourism to fall back on and is raising every category of taxes at the rate like Connecticut, can expect to be in the same trouble soon. New York and Illinois are fast working on that. Connecticuts great resource over the past 80 years was it's manufacturing, it's corporate hubs, and it's blue collar work force, but tax, tax and tax of all kinds destroyed that. Take a drive this weekend down rt 34 through Oxford, Seymour, Derby, over to Ansonia and Shelton and see all the empty warehouses and manufacturing plants. Even venerable Sikorsky Aircraft was about to leave until Governor "tax everybody and everything" Malloy realized it would be a political mistake for the Democrats to let them leave.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What success has there been in CT based on CT policies, leadership, academics, or business growth? Now in terms of businesses moving out, trucking companies doing well, and perhaps ;) the tolls were to get one more squeeze on the people leaving. First out of UConn’s control but needs a vast improvement is attracting companies to move here for economic reasons. We used to be in the top 5 for U.S. manufacturing, then we became blue, shipped our jobs everywhere else, used bribery as a policy to get companies to stay, and stated these jobs are not the jobs we want, we want to be hi-tech. And how did that turn out? Silicon Valley is still the hi-tech place to go. So although there is some research happening, for the most part it is more attractive to do elsewhere and we lost what we once had by not fighting for it. So let’s not make America great let’s not make CT great, but you can stay here, me i’m Counting the weeks I have before i’m in NC. Good riddance and for those praising the blue please stay and enjoy your poo pie!
NC will soon be the next CT. It is only a matter of time there before things change greatly. Don't think that everyone moving to NC is going to be contributing to their economy. Right now the GOP is in control there and is able to control things, but soon there will be a need to raise taxes, there will be a need to provide welfare, and things will change greatly. You will have, however, a temporary stay, until you will have to move again.

Reaction Score
Huskyrob1 we have divergent opinions on conference realignment and my post was 3 minutes after yours. I did not see yours before I posted and I agree with you.

Reaction Score
I like her. I think she is a lot better than we had. But I also think we can easily do as well or better. We have a year. I’m not concerned in the least.

Financial challenges aside, the job is a more attractive job than any of our sports jobs. We will have our pick of a lot of top candidates.

Reaction Score
Any blue state right now that has no major natural resources (like oil, mining (metalic ores, potash, coal) agriculture, shipping, lumber) or even tourism to fall back on and is raising every category of taxes at the rate like Connecticut, can expect to be in the same trouble soon. New York and Illinois are fast working on that. Connecticuts great resource over the past 80 years was it's manufacturing, it's corporate hubs, and it's blue collar work force, but tax, tax and tax of all kinds destroyed that. Take a drive this weekend down rt 34 through Oxford, Seymour, Derby, over to Ansonia and Shelton and see all the empty warehouses and manufacturing plants. Even venerable Sikorsky Aircraft was about to leave until Governor "tax everybody and everything" Malloy realized it would be a political mistake for the Democrats to let them leave.
It's unfortunate that other states have turned to corporate welfare to entice businesses while hurting their residents. It's the prisoner's dilemma.

Reaction Score
I have no confidence we will get someone better. But what do I know....
Yeah, me either. And I taught Exit 4 everything I know and he still claims to know nothing.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Financial challenges aside, the job is a more attractive job than any of our sports jobs. We will have our pick of a lot of top candidates.

^^^ This

Reaction Score
I like her. I think she is a lot better than we had. But I also think we can easily do as well or better. We have a year. I’m not concerned in the least.

Yup. We have a “beloved” Governor who will be unemployed next year. I’m guessing he will make a play for this job as his reward. Some other major universities have a ex Gov as their prez.

Reaction Score
Yup. We have a “beloved” Governor who will be unemployed next year. I’m guessing he will make a play for this job as his reward. Some other major universities have a ex Gov as their prez.
I don't think the BOT would give him the time of day. I say only one man can do the job..........

usatsi_8481979.jpg

:)

Reaction Score
I am not going to say she has been the greatest president and I am not fully convinced that she is even been "good"
I am glad she is not just diving overboard but has done the right thing in giving the system time to search for her replacement.
She has made some mistakes - the whole Warde "rock star" crap comes to mind and not sure if closing Torrington was the right call but she has had to deal with some very trying budget issues.
Her calling Malloy as a positive for the state and University has my head spinning
I'm not sad seeing her leave but am concerned at the quality of candidates UConn can expect seeing the financial crisis that the state is in currently. I always felt that she allowed her liberal political slant to be too evident.
I do find it "quirky" that she will be teaching PS at UConn-Stamford
Thought for sure her next step would be a president at a private college without being hassled with state BS
I wouldn't bet on her teaching PS at UConn-Stamford. Rather I'd bet she won't even reside in this state 3 months after she relinquishes power at Storrs.

Reaction Score
[
="Stray_Dog, post: 2725791, member: 4114"]What success has there been in CT based on CT policies, leadership, academics, or business growth? Now in terms of businesses moving out, trucking companies doing well, and perhaps ;) the tolls were to get one more squeeze on the people leaving. First out of UConn’s control but needs a vast improvement is attracting companies to move here for economic reasons. We used to be in the top 5 for U.S. manufacturing, then we became blue, shipped our jobs everywhere else, used bribery as a policy to get companies to stay, and stated these jobs are not the jobs we want, we want to be hi-tech. And how did that turn out? Silicon Valley is still the hi-tech place to go. So although there is some research happening, for the most part it is more attractive to do elsewhere and we lost what we once had by not fighting for it. So let’s not make America great let’s not make CT great, but you can stay here, me i’m Counting the weeks I have before i’m in NC. Good riddance and for those praising the blue please stay and enjoy your poo pie![/QUOTE]
The only hope for Connecticut is to massively grow its economy. This will require slashing taxes to the bone, cutting spending and running a deficit to grow out of this mess. 30 years of tax and spend has destroyed the state. We need to grow the tax base. In 1990 50% of the Fortune 500 were headquartered in Connecticut, a no income tax haven and we were the richest state in the nation. We were promised a modest 2% income tax to stabilize revenue. Today we are the most taxed state in the country. We have been raped and pillaged by government unions and special interests. Investing in UConn and building a vibrant research and industry hub is a must.

Reaction Score
UConn is an R1 research school and recognized "Public Ivy" school. There are not a lot of public Universities that can make that claim.
We suffer in comparison to the schools in our immediate area... Harvard, Yale, Brown, Columbia, MIT, RIT, WPI... starting to see the problem? This is where all those researchers have been going. No one else has those problems.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

If they didn’t ban all my other accounts this would get 8 likes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom