Herbst and Manuel on Live Radio - 9 am 12/19 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Herbst and Manuel on Live Radio - 9 am 12/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We will be focusing on big time football and conference realignment when they come back

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Sounds like the outtro music clip there was an instrumental version of "The world is yours"...(?)

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Danksosky - realignment all about football. Louisville perceived as a better football program.

SH - we have work to do to be a better football program. Fans, look how far we've come. Losing seasons now, but Notre Dame was struggling and are succeeding now. Fans being harsh on themselves...

Dankosky - Louisville a place where fans get excited about football. May or may not be something UConn can overcome... are we big-time enough?

SH - we're growing. Self perception and how others perceive you are intimately linked. (Implies if fans help promote UConn it will help outside perception)

WM - we're having growing pains... we're struggling now. as I said before, nobody's working harder than the team and the coaching staff, we're committed to success on the field of play. As disappointing as the season was we're working towards championships.

Reaction Score
Herbst:Re football, look how far we've come. Look at what Randy Edsall did.
Warde: We're a proud member of the Big East. I'm not going to apologize for our football.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Dankosky - does UConn have to get in the ACC or another power conference?

WM - how others see us is dependent on our success in football and other sports...

Dankosky - you've actively tried to get out of the Big East, right?
WM -We've tried to make sure UConn is in a good position... we'll always do what's best for the university, but that's not to say we're not going to work to make the conference beter

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Dankosky asking about the AAU and entry to the B1G.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Caller Robert - where does UConn stand re: AAU?

SH - key for UConn to get in AAU is building faculty and research $$$. It's dependent on federal grants, increasing NIH NSF funds by $90 mil is "doable" (love that word).

Dankosky - AAU would help UConn get in another conference.

SH - we want to do these things (research) anyway, AAU recognition would be a sign we are doing it the right way

Reaction Score
SH - we're growing. Self perception and how others perceive you are intimately linked. (Implies if fans help promote UConn it will help outside perception)

Dead duck*ing on! There is a cost for those who actually are fans but come on here and are always entirely negative about every little thing. Those people need to start being shunned. There is a difference between criticism (and even rational discussions about what needs to be better) and the "whoa is me we suck" crap that we have to listen to from our own fans.

I will be pillaried for that. Because goodness forbid that anyone accepts that there can be consequences to what they say in social media.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Dan (HFD? Dan97?) question on Rent expansion

WM - would love to have the need to do that. We have to generate success on the field and fan interest. Chicken or the egg question, sounds like want to sell out first before adding the seats.

Reaction Score
WM: Re NNBE: There's been a committment to make the league strong.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Asked the million dollar question: what happens if this league you are banking on just goes away.

Warde says we don't wnat that to happen. We control how good we are. We are in the Big East.

Reaction Score
We are screwed folks I know its fun to pretend and ride the uss conn but the reality of the situation is truly awful. Pray for instability and further realignment because these two will not be getting us into a conference without it

Reaction Score
that was a quick hour. i wanted to hear much more

possibly the first (and only) time ive been captivated by NPR

Reaction Score
We are screwed folks I know its fun to pretend and ride the uss conn but the reality of the situation is truly awful. Pray for instability and further realignment because these two will not be getting us into a conference without it
Do you really expect top tier athletic departments to be built overnight? All schools coming to the Big East or whatever it will be called all have a common goal. God Almighty.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Dankosky - chance other schools leaving... BE might not exist.

WM - we don't want that to happen (duh) in my conversations with other AD's there's been a commitment to stay strong. Aresco doing a good job. We (WM, SH, UConn) are actively moving forward not just waiting for stuff to happen and react. Right now working with Big East.

(If you're really reading between the lines this could be interpreted as going beyond "monitoring the situation"... we're working on both making the BE better but also finding another home, which he CAN'T SAY EXPLICITLY)

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Asked the million dollar question: what happens if this league you are banking on just goes away.

Warde says we don't wnat that to happen. We control how good we are. We are in the Big East.

I think this isn't an issue at all... where --- are the schools going to go? There's no real western conference to speak of... Conference USA? Please.

Everyone who has an serious aspirations at all about football and is outside of a power conference NEEDS for this conference to work.

Reaction Score
I listen to NPR up in Boston, so I don't know Dankosky, but I think he did a great job as an interviewer. His expertise may not be sports, or conference realignment, but he did his research and hit all the talking points very well.

On AAU, he prefaced the question by saying that "all, most of Big Ten Schools are in AAU".

Herbst "well not all, Nebraska was kicked out, as was Syracuse"

Interesting? Dig on Cuse or are we possibly in the running for the NE spot (Cuse, BC, UConn) to team up with UVA. I know you conspirators out there will have fun with that one statement.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Warde - "John, you stupid c***, of course we've tried to get out of this conference. It's a hot duck*ing mess and my skin duck*ing crawls every time Aresco calls with 'great news'. If he drunk-dials one more backwards mid-major and offers them an invite, I'll feed that motherf***er his own heart. But I can't say that, now can I, John....so why the duck* do you keep asking me? I will rip off your face as soon as we go to commercial."

At least that is what he is thinking. What he said was, "We're still proud members of the Big East". You have to know how to read between the lines.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I think this isn't an issue at all... where --- are the schools going to go? There's no real western conference to speak of... Conference USA? Please.

Everyone who has an serious aspirations at all about football and is outside of a power conference NEEDS for this conference to work.

The MWC is no worse than our proposed league. Our league no longer has an chance at a lucrative TV deal, none. Our league includes difficult travel situations for the schools, and has no chance of generating any real mindshare because it has no identity. It is doomed to fail.

But it as clear as ever that that's where we are headed, whether the western schools join or not. The perception of UConn will drop even further, even in basketball. WM and SH seemed accutely aware of the problem, and helpless to do anything about it.

Reaction Score
John Dankosky is awesome. He's one of the only people who covers CT politics and culture with anything resembling depth. Sports are not his level of expertise. Expecting NPR personalities to be sports experts is silly.

Didn't expect him to be an expert. Just expected that line of thinking. Like I said, typical weenie NPR lib.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
The MWC is no worse than our proposed league. Our league no longer has an chance at a lucrative TV deal, none. Our league includes difficult travel situations for the schools, and has no chance of generating any real mindshare because it has no identity. It is doomed to fail.

But it as clear as ever that that's where we are headed, whether the western schools join or not. The perception of UConn will drop even further, even in basketball. WM and SH seemed accutely aware of the problem, and helpless to do anything about it.

Seriously after all the years of ESPN pimping the Mountain West over the "Big Least" you think our perception can drop off even further? Basketball is only an issue if we really do drop off. You can be viable in just about any conference.

I just think with the nature of the new national title playoffs... as a school outside of the power conferences you need as strong a SOS as possible... and if you're league contains the bottom 2/3rds of the WMC then you're in trouble.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Dan (HFD? Dan97?) question on Rent expansion

WM - would love to have the need to do that. We have to generate success on the field and fan interest. Chicken or the egg question, sounds like want to sell out first before adding the seats.

Wasn't me. I was in the car listening (my boss may have wondered where I meandered off to for an hour)...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom