Herbst and Big east Commish needs to step up | The Boneyard

Herbst and Big east Commish needs to step up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Uconn stop begging to be apart of someone elses organization. Be a Leader instead of a follower and lead the Big East into a stronger Entity. We will still be apart of one of the strongest Basketball conferences in the country with the defections of Cuse and Pitt. There was a time when Uconn was a low as it gets and look at what Hard work and excellence has turned us into. Okay staying in the bigeast is not as lucrative financially for the short term but I dont see any longterm positives staying in the ACC. They also have a 20 million buyout if we want to leave ouch.

Herbst dont take the easy way out by trying to jump ship. The Big East needs to be working hard to keep its remaining teams. Other than creating a basketball superleague are there any other contigencies by Big East? There is too much tradition in the Big East to let your teams lobbying to go to greener pastures.

Reaction Score
So I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you thought this out GRUCONN when you said "Be a Leader instead of a follower and lead the Big East into a stronger Entity."

If UConn does decide to stay with the Big East what would you like to see the conference do to become a stronger entity?

I am not trying to bash you in anyway.....I am just trying to start some debate on this. Its hard to start some dialogue on here without it being taken personal. So dont think I am trying to call you out.

Reaction Score
Gru, we have to plot the best course for ourselves right now. We have a good academic reputation and a great athletic one, we have at least a share of the NYC market. We should find a home, but its not with the BEAST any longer. Landing with either the ACC, or NB10, will increase $ flow into the university. We should thank PITT and Syracuse for making us do this.

Reaction Score
Gru, we have to plot the best course for ourselves right now. We have a good academic reputation and a great athletic one, we have at least a share of the NYC market. We should find a home, but its not with the BEAST any longer. Landing with either the ACC, or NB10, will increase $ flow into the university. We should thank PITT and Syracuse for making us do this.

+1

Reaction Score
Anything we do from here on out has to be done with the understanding that there is no Big East.

Reaction Score
You must be from the Women's board. Someone over there said we should "just pick up" a school like Ohio State to salvage the Big East.

Reaction Score
The only option for salvaging the BE is to add the Kansas/Kansas State and Baylor contingency. In terms of athletics (football/basketball) it can be argued the BE maintains the status quo in hoops and upgrades in football. The prerequisite of course is that the conference fights off any future departures. Technically a commissioner and his cohorts should be held to a certain level of competence. If you are the CEO of a major corporation there are mechanisms to put in place to hinder hostile takeovers. Certainly if you were/are a shareholder of a stock with ticker symbol BE you would certainly contemplate selling and getting out. UConn has a sell rating on the BE right now after watching their colleagues dump. With leadership however the BE is very salvageable with UConn in it. This is a secondary option for UConn undoubtedly at the moment.

Reaction Score
We can debate about it all we want- as far as I know Herbst does not consult the Boneyard before making her decisions. I can only stand so much mental spanking of the monkey.

Herbst was in GA before she headed north- she has good relationships with people in the ACC via Gtech- I have to imagine that the move for her at least feels like a home coming. If we are one of the two teams out of the ten apps that they approve she will play a big part in making that happen.

Reaction Score
If you look at what will remain for a Big East/B12/CUSA conglomerate, it isn't that bad. The problem is, if a major network doesn't pay you big $ and sell the public on how good you are, it doesn't matter. The ACC is considered better than the Big East in football solely because ESPN bashes the Big East at every opportunity. ESPN knows the facts, but they created the perception that the Big East was inferior for business reasons. They helped make this happen. If the newly formed conference can't get a network behind it that will hype it, it won't thrive no matterwho is in it.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
if WVU & Louisville & TCU stay, we can make it work. But everybody is looking out for themselves at this point.

Adding KN, KSt, Baylor along with another 2 such as IA St, C Fla, E Car or Memphis would make us a solid 12/20 conference

Problem is the ACC may be looking for 2 more, the SEC is looking for at least 1 more (MO) and maybe as many as 3 and the B10 may look for another 2 t0 4. If any one of those 3 conferences comes knocking again, we can't survive.

I think Cuse and Pitt took the easy and safe road, but not necessarily the best road. At this point, the ice is thin. There is no more downside for the BEAST to absorb.

Reaction Score
Uconn stop begging to be apart of someone elses organization. Be a Leader instead of a follower and lead the Big East into a stronger Entity. We will still be apart of one of the strongest Basketball conferences in the country with the defections of Cuse and Pitt. There was a time when Uconn was a low as it gets and look at what Hard work and excellence has turned us into. Okay staying in the bigeast is not as lucrative financially for the short term but I dont see any longterm positives staying in the ACC. They also have a 20 million buyout if we want to leave ouch.

Herbst dont take the easy way out by trying to jump ship. The Big East needs to be working hard to keep its remaining teams. Other than creating a basketball superleague are there any other contigencies by Big East? There is too much tradition in the Big East to let your teams lobbying to go to greener pastures.

Does this guy write for letterman? This is hilarious!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think that UConn should take all the facts into consideration, ponder ways in which they can help make the Big East better and stronger and generally be a good partner to all remaining Big East conference members. And while they are doing all that, they should be taking a Jiffy Peeler to every Big East sticker adorning every court and field they play on in anticipation of jumping ship to the first viable conference that offers them a safe harbor. They should even change the athletic department's voice mail to include pressing one for immediate acceptance of any conference invitations.

Sure, that might cause some sticky issues if Conference USA offers, but they can weasel out of that after the fact.

Reaction Score

No. UConn needs to leave now. Who cares about the ACC buyout? If UConn goes to the ACC they are going there to stay, not just as a temporary stop. This makes no sense.

Why stay in a league with schools that don't do their part to promote the league? You may not care about the money that would be lost by not going to the ACC, but there are students that will get financial aid from the additional revenue that wouldn't otherwise.

Reaction Score
The commissioner is a total buffoon. He reminds me of Homer Simpson.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I think UConn tried to keep the BE together but Cuse and Pitt did not agree. If they continue the approach you're recommending they could find other teams leaving and they would be left without any good options for their football team. And that would be foolish.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I think that UConn should take all the facts into consideration, ponder ways in which they can help make the Big East better and stronger and generally be a good partner to all remaining Big East conference members.

In other words, Don't Be Pittsburgh.

Reaction Score
I would rather have the better Big 12 schools with a D1 football program join the Big East rather than making a commitment to the ACC. I think that merger would be attractive enough to get a TV contract and keep the BCS Status. The Big East already got offered a contract from ESPN that they turned down. The Big 12 also has some good bball teams especially if we get Kansas, Kansas St, or even Baylor. If Texas and Oklahoma leaves its over for the Big 12. The Big East should give Schools that don't have a D1 football program a smaller cut. I think long term the ACC will be mediocore in Football like they are now. Especially when Miami, Florida St and others get scooped up by the SEC. The teams in the Big East that don't have an established football program are not going to be accepted in the so called Big Conferences so we should be safe most of the conference sticks together for a long time.

Big East/former Big 12 members.
Tournament in MSG
Local Rivalries
Mediocre Football Conference
Respected Member of the Big East and a Leader in the Conference

Vs
ACC
Tournament in North Carolina
Mediocre Football Conference
Playing Second Fiddle to NC and Duke (We could win 10 ACC championship we would still be the Yankees in the North Carolina country.)

Let me know what y'all think this is turning out to be a good debate.

Reaction Score
I mean quite frankly, at this point, who gives a crap about football? All we read and hear about is football and money, and yet most college football programs are hurting. As basketball fans, how far into the cesspool do we want football to drag us?

Reaction Score
We won't have large enough fanbases with the schools left. Time to run for the ACC or B1G.

Reaction Score

Uconn is leaving the BE if the ACC takes us. It is really as simple as that. The football schools are done with the BE and the split was inevitable.
You can't lose Cuse and Pitt and think the BE is the same. It isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom