He'll shoot you out of some games. | The Boneyard

He'll shoot you out of some games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
His shot will win you some games.
Intelligent point guard.
But he doesn't always share the ball.
He always wants to take the last shot himself.
He is a leader but others don't always follow.
He can get worn down at the end of games.
Not a great defender.
His name is El Amin.

Reaction Score
So many times in the past 3 days, I've looked on screen and swore I saw #42 out there.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
He is a leader but others don't always follow.
That does not describe the player I know as El Amin. Khalid was the undisputed leader since the pick-up game he played during his recruiting visit, and he never had a problem getting his teammates on the same page.

I'm not saying it's all Shabazz's fault, but he's simply no El Amin imo. Not close. Granted, the supporting cast is different, and Shabazz probably has better pro potential (and he definitely has the potential to be a much better defender), but I don't agree with the comparison.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I've always thought they were similar players.

Reaction Score
That does not describe the player I know as El Amin. Khalid was the undisputed leader since the pick-up game he played during his recruiting visit, and he never had a problem getting his teammates on the same page.

I'm not saying it's all Shabazz's fault, but he's simply no El Amin imo. Not close. Granted, the supporting cast is different, and Shabazz probably has better pro potential (and he definitely has the potential to be a much better defender), but I don't agree with the comparison.

El Amin was more vocal, bossier. But not always more effective as a leader.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I don't see the similarity. KEA took relatively few 3's, but was great at driving through traffic and dishing or scoring. I think he was a better ball handler as well. Napier plays more like AJ Price in my mind, but isn't that good yet. He looks to the 3 much, much too often. He forces way too many shots. If anything, Boatright plays more like KEA.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If anything, Boatright plays more like KEA.
I wrote the exact same thing and then deleted it because I think it's too early to say that. If had to choose which one reminded me more of KEA, I would choose Ryan. But I don't think the comparison adds much to the conversation in either instance, because I just don't think it's that strong.

Reaction Score
I don't see any comparison between the way Boatright and El Amin play the game, other than they are both short guards. I like both of their games. Shabazz's attitude is a little bit like El Amin's. I like all three of their games, but each is different from the other. I think El Amin was the best at utilizing his moves to make a positive play, maybe he had to because of his body type. El Amin's game was more refined as a freshman than the other two. Shabazz has made some great plays, but clearly is way more inconsistent and erratic than El Amin. Shabazz's on ball defense, when he is committed, is better than El Amin's was. El Amin did not make as many mental errors.

Reaction Score
If our backcourt comes back for another year, it will mimic what we had in 1999:

Boat = Khalid (explosive on the dribble-drive, vocal leader, ballsy)
Bazz = Ricky (steady ball-handler and stout defender)
Lamb = Rip (off-ball scorer in a variety of ways)

I think they would all be well-served to really carve out roles the way each of those three did on our championship team. The only weakness in the comparison is that Lamb isn't nearly assertive enough.

Reaction Score
If our backcourt comes back for another year, it will mimic what we had in 1999:

Boat = Khalid (explosive on the dribble-drive, vocal leader, ballsy)
Bazz = Ricky (steady ball-handler and stout defender)
Lamb = Rip (off-ball scorer in a variety of ways)

I think they would all be well-served to really carve out roles the way each of those three did on our championship team. The only weakness in the comparison is that Lamb isn't nearly assertive enough.
Is this a joke??? Bazz = Ricky Moore? Bazz is AWFUL on D. I don't know what team you have been watching all season.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
El Amin ran the team from the moment he first stepped foot on on campus.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Is this a joke??? Bazz = Ricky Moore? Bazz is AWFUL on D. I don't know what team you have been watching all season.
Bazz has not distinguished himself on defense this season, and, again, the comparison to Ricky Moore is not a useful one imo. But, I think he has the ability to be an excellent on-ball defender, and I think he was for a good part of last season. Although different, his peskiness almost reached Linehan proportions at times last season. The only glimpses that I recall recently where he displayed those skills were the closing moments of regulation in yesterday's game when he had the two steals (one of which was admittedly a gamble that happened to pay off). He has been lazy on defense a lot this season; but I know that he knows how to play it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom