Heisman Trophy/CBB POY Same Year? | The Boneyard

Heisman Trophy/CBB POY Same Year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Baylor has the uncommon honor of having both the Heisman Trophy winner, Robert Griffin III, and WCBB AP Player of the Year, Brittney Griner, with more POY honors certain to follow. In my years as a sports fan, there has only been one other school that has held a similar distinction of having the Heisman Trophy winner and a College Basketball Player of the Year in the same academic or calendar year. Any ideas as to which school to whom I am alluding and the players so named?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Not a huge pool to choose from......... Schools would have to be limited to UGA, Texas, well a few others...... lemme think

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Well, in 2004 New England had:

UConn men's basketball champions (Emeka wasn't POY, though)
UConn women's basketball champions (Diana was POY)
The Patriots won the Super Bowl (Tom Brady Sporting News Sportsman of the Year)
The Red Sox won the World Series (The Bloody Sock Series, Sox were SI Sportsmen of the Year)
The B's and C's won their division but not much more

Reaction Score
No Heismans at Duke? :D

They have had a number of pretty good basketball players at Duke, both men's and women's. One of my all time favorite baseball players, Dick Groat(another name will appear here, but he was known by the Richard nickname; Something needs to be done about the filtering. This is not a child's board for goodness sakes), attended Duke.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Not a huge pool to choose from......... Schools would have to be limited to UGA, Texas, well a few others...... lemme think
Possibly Stanford. As for Notre Dame football, well, probably better not to go there.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was thinking about Cheryl Miller and Charles White or Marcus Allen, but the years are wrong.

How about Gary Beban and that Alcindor guy?

images

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I was thinking about Cheryl Miller and Charles White or Marcus Allen, but the years are wrong.

How about Gary Beban and that Alcindor guy?

images

This is a correct response.

I was thinking Tennessee must have held this distinction. But then I remembered that Woodson stole the award at the last minute with a brilliant game against Ohio State, and then relived the awesomeness of that having occurred. So there was no Manning-Holdsclaw double.

Pardon me while I go chuckle some more.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Hard to believe that USC didn't have a Heisman winner while Cheryl Miller played.

If you are anywhere near USC, go in Heritage Hall. Their hardware collection is impressive. Of course, Reggie Bush's trophy is gone. I'm not sure if Obtuse Jury Simpson's is still on display.

Reaction Score
Baylor has the uncommon honor of having both the Heisman Trophy winner, Robert Griffin III, and WCBB AP Player of the Year, Brittney Griner, with more POY honors certain to follow. In my years as a sports fan, there has only been one other school that has held a similar distinction of having the Heisman Trophy winner and a College Basketball Player of the Year in the same academic or calendar year. Any ideas as to which school to whom I am alluding and the players so named?

Stanford got robbed in both (Luck) and Nneka.

Reaction Score
Stanford got robbed in both (Luck) and Nneka.

They would have been very good inarguable choices. Nnecka may still win one fo the remaining unannounced POY awards.

Reaction Score
They would have been very good inarguable choices. Nnecka may still win one fo the remaining unannounced POY awards.

which one? Griner got Wade and Naismith. I thought Nneka would get Wade.

Reaction Score
which one? Griner got Wade and Naismith. I thought Nneka would get Wade.

Wooden, USBWA, and Honda, although not sure if Honda still offers an award. Magazines like Sport, SI, and ESPN the Magazine(again not sure if it is still in ciculation) might also offer POY Awards.

Reaction Score
Wooden, USBWA, and Honda, although not sure if Honda still offers an award.

Well, I hope she gets one.

I thought Nneka met the criteria for the Wade quite well.

Criteria (In Priority Order)
1. NCAA Division I basketball player (sophomore, junior or senior) who is a member of the Division I WBCA Coaches' All-America Team.

2. A player who embodies the "Spirit of Margaret Wade."
• Excellence on the court (as defined above).
• Academically eligible to compete as defined by the NCAA and the institution.
• Adheres to the principles of sportsmanship and ethical conduct as outlined in NCAA Constitution 2.4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom