"Hearing that the #UNC Notice of Allegations will be released Thursday morning" | Page 4 | The Boneyard

"Hearing that the #UNC Notice of Allegations will be released Thursday morning"

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Because everyone knows that there's nothing funnier than making the same jokes that have been made dozens of dozens of times before, and didn't really make sense in the first place.
... like Saturday Night Live?

Reaction Score
1) You assume, with no evidence, that it is the same people that want UNC banned this year that objected to cuse's current-season ban.

2) The problem with the Cuse penalties, and the problem if UNC gets only a one year, current-season ban, is that, when taken in context with the recruiting-destructive and transfer-inducing ban for failure to meet APR standards, the message is clear that cheating is worth the risk.
My point regarding number 1 is that there are people who want UNC banned this year but are upset Cuse got it the same year as the sanctions were handed down, and those people are absurd. And everyone wanted Cuse banned next year, not this year, so anyone advocating for UNC to be banned this year falls into that category.

And I already made your second point previously in this thread.

Reaction Score
Cuse didn't "get banned" by the NCAA, they chose the year themselves.

And if UNC had a choice, they definitely wouldn't ban themselves in a year they knew they were preseason top 3.

It's simply about the perceived strengths of the teams in given seasons, not that "next year" or "this year" is always better across the board.

And I feel like I shouldn't have to point this out, but I will for clarity... my position is not one of what the NCAA should do, but what would be funniest to me. I'm sure there are others out there with that position too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jerry1714 said:
My point regarding number 1 is that there are people who want UNC banned this year but are upset Cuse got it the same year as the sanctions were handed down, and those people are absurd. And everyone wanted Cuse banned next year, not this year, so anyone advocating for UNC to be banned this year falls into that category. And I already made your second point previously in this thread.

Not absurd if the UNC sanctions were handed out tomorrow. Getting a postseason penalty in June would give players a chance to transfer out - Syracuse players never had that chance and were left to play a dead-end season (particularly Christmas and any other seniors they had). And they were able to self-impose sanctions at a time when their season was sliding (post-McCullough injury) and their prospects were dimmer than in recent years. It was pretty easy to sacrifice that season in hopes for leniency, even if they were still a possible NCAA team.

But if the sanctions come down in February, which is more likely with the speed these things happen, then we have apples to apples. The opinions people are giving are based on time frame, though - if Cuse had self imposed their ban in June, it would be treated differently.

Reaction Score
Not absurd if the UNC sanctions were handed out tomorrow. Getting a postseason penalty in June would give players a chance to transfer out - Syracuse players never had that chance and were left to play a dead-end season (particularly Christmas and any other seniors they had). And they were able to self-impose sanctions at a time when their season was sliding (post-McCullough injury) and their prospects were dimmer than in recent years. It was pretty easy to sacrifice that season in hopes for leniency, even if they were still a possible NCAA team.

But if the sanctions come down in February, which is more likely with the speed these things happen, then we have apples to apples. The opinions people are giving are based on time frame, though - if Cuse had self imposed their ban in June, it would be treated differently.

NCAA Hits UNC With 5 Violations in Wake of Academic Scandal

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/ncaa-hits-unc-violations-wake-academic-scandal-31530367

and the allegations are:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/articl...-of-allegations-lack-of-institutional-control

Reaction Score
So UNC just received the NOA from the NCAA, has yet to respond and people already think they know what type of penalties the NCAA will throw at them? That's cute.

Yeah, if the penalties are directed at football and women's basketball (WTF?), than the NCAA is gonna look REALLY bad.

Reaction Score
Right, but the 'joke' that has been repeated ad nauseum on here is that UConn is going to be punished for UNC's violations, just as it was made when Syracuse was waiting on their penalty. Independent of that, it's a stupid, unfunny joke, and it's been made on here probably 150 times.

Oh, OK. Then yes, that is stupid.

Reaction Score
Yeah, if the penalties are directed at football and women's basketball (WTF?), than the NCAA is gonna look REALLY bad.

What makes you believe the NCAA cares how it looks? I ask that seriously. I don't believe that give a rat's ass.

They will do whatever it takes to spare UNC Basketball, and I agree they will look terrible. I don't think they care at all as long as the P5 is content.

Reaction Score
What makes you believe the NCAA cares how it looks? I ask that seriously. I don't believe that give a rat's ass.

They will do whatever it takes to spare UNC Basketball, and I agree they will look terrible. I don't think they care at all as long as the P5 is content.

This is all over the media, and a mocking of college athletics across the board. Are we truly to believe that UNC cheated in the classroom more for their football and women's bball programs? The NCAA has to do something (instead of punishing the weak) to save face. The punishment to the basketball team may be lesser, but you would think they would get more than a slap on the wrist.

If they care about the P5 being content, then what are they doing? The P5 is in charge of the NCAA, already? Why do we have an NCAA, then? I mean this seriously, because, last I knew, the NCAA was the head of college athletics, not the P5. (I know the P5 drives $ in the form of football, but the NCAA is supposed to run this thing and not the conferences, right?)

Last edited:

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Is UNC going to self impose a light sentence, & negotiate a convenient deal like Cuse did to keep their tainted banner?

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I can only hope that now that the evidence and allegations have been released that the UNC administration will do the right thing, clean house removing the rotten apples and accept a deservedly severe punishment. Academics should matter at a school like North Carolina that has had an excellent reputation among public universities.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
My point regarding number 1 is that there are people who want UNC banned this year but are upset Cuse got it the same year as the sanctions were handed down, and those people are absurd. And everyone wanted Cuse banned next year, not this year, so anyone advocating for UNC to be banned this year falls into that category.

And I already made your second point previously in this thread.

Keep saying everyone is absurd and not read my reply. Makes you smart, too.

Reaction Score
Make no mistake the NCAA is serious about these charges. In fact they have appointed a special prosecutor especially for this case: Rollo Tomassi.

Roll Over Tomato? Sounds tough to me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Keep saying everyone is absurd and not read my reply. Makes you smart, too.
Glad you figured out how to use the reply function this time, good job.

I read your reply, it does nothing to change the point I made. Yes, people were upset Cuse got 1 year, I did not dispute that. Again, Cuse banned themselves on February 4th, this idea they were out of the tournament at this time is just wrong.

Reaction Score
Glad you figured out how to use the reply function this time, good job.

I read your reply, it does nothing to change the point I made. Yes, people were upset Cuse got 1 year, I did not dispute that. Again, Cuse banned themselves on February 4th, this idea they were out of the tournament at this time is just wrong.

Cuse knew they were a long shot to make the tournament when they banned themselves. They had just beat VT by two points at home following two previous losses. They also had in front of them their toughest part of their schedule. They then proceeded to lose 6 of their last 9 games to end up 18-13. Choosing to banned themselves from the tournament was an easy and smart decision. They were a long shot to make it..

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Stop posting stupid crap and people will stop criticizing you. It's tiresome.
What is this, the twelve-year-old's board? What's tiresome is the gratuitous digs for the sake of getting the last word in... news flash, it just smacks of pedantic whining. My joke wasn't funny to you, fine, you have the option to ignore it or call it stupid crap. Guess which is the more mature option.

Reaction Score

Yea of course, but there will be no decision on UNC until after the season starts. Cuse recieved their NOA around the same time as UNC did, so it is a very similar situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom