Heads-up: KML/Bria on TV Saturday at.... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Heads-up: KML/Bria on TV Saturday at....

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the game:
1. Altogether too much one on one; not much like UConn BB
2. KML had an off shooting night but defended, rebounded, assisted and fought like a tiger.
3. What stopped the first Austrailia run in the 1st quarter when they were ahead by 10 or more was Theresa Plaisance, who hit an outside shot and then repeatedly scored on the inside on the tough Aussie girl. Plaissance is a gamer.
4. Sims is an amazing one-on-one player; circus shot after circus shot
5. Bria was fine, ran some great breaks
6. Shoni never took her jacket off…why? second game. Doghouse?

Our guys played tough D, rebounded poorly (other posters above) but if they were more effective in the half-court they would have won easily. As it was; it was anyone's game at end after we blew through a huge lead.

Russia will be tough in front of a full house.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Russia will be a tough nut to crack with their size and immense home court advantage. Team USA will have to stay out of foul trouble and shoot better then they did against Australia.

Russia has won 181 Medals with Japan 2nd with 54 Medals. Link

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Russia will be a tough nut to crack with their size and immense home court advantage. Team USA will have to stay out of foul trouble and shoot better then they did against Australia.

Russia has won 181 Medals with Japan 2nd with 54 Medals. Link

Agree on both counts -

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Late in the game, announcer (American) called Tolo the best player on the floor - she is good/tough/big but to me Odyssey looked like the best player on the floor today and would be my POG as well.

That announcer was Nels Hawkinson, someone I know slightly though Paradise Jam. He's the deputy director of our delegation, but I know him through running the Paradise Jam in St. Thomas. For those who may have attended that event, he was the one who gave out the awards at the end of the event.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Our guys played tough D, rebounded poorly (other posters above) but if they were more effective in the half-court they would have won easily. As it was; it was anyone's game at end after we blew through a huge lead.

Was it really a tough D? They gave up 78 points. (honest question - I didn't see the game)

Reaction Score
Bria looked like she was moving really well. That's very encouraging for this coming season. Sims played great but there is one thing I don't understand about her. She releases the ball so low in a lot of lay ups that I don't understand why her shots aren't blocked more often. Other than that, she sure can play.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Great block by KML at one point. In a game decided by a single point, just about every play ends up mattering.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Was it really a tough D? They gave up 78 points. (honest question - I didn't see the game)

I thought the D was uneven. Early in the game, the Aussies had our number, and were taking some uncontested or barely contested shots. We figured it out and got better, although, to be honest, we are incredibly fortunate that they also decided to miss some open shots.

There were some nice defensive plays, but I wouldn't call it, overall, an impressive defensive display.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I'm surprised Tolo doesn't have more points. It felt like she was scoring at will. She had a nice step-through shot, that if Nels is correct, is a move allowed in international play but not in the NCAA (I think he suggested). That makes it difficult to defend, when a player makes a move you aren't used to because it isn't generally allowed.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I guess I am biased, but for me KML, with defense, rebounding, and leadership, was the best player on the court. Her physical challenges to the Aussies was a step above the rest of the team.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Sheri wisely shortened her rotation and relied heavily on Bria, Odyssey and Kaleena. Ellenberg, Hooper and Plaisance gave some quality minutes and Bedford came through in the clutch.

The team defense was about what you would expect from players thrown together only a short time ago, which is to say it was not very good. Individually, the D was generally ok, but Harberts, to cite but one example, seemed over-matched by the taller and quicker Aussie forwards.

Grey's time on court was mercifully brief but Massengale's was regrettably too lengthy.

Sims is incredible but I wish she did a little less one-on-one.

I was proud of Bria and Kaleena and my heart stopped for a moment when Bria slipped on some dopey decal. Yikes!

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Yeah congrats to the birthday girl, and she did have some nifty shots, but she had some ill-advised shots.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
KML was a real force and leader. Bria was the most effective guard IMO. Sims is a very good ball handler, but made some highly questionable drives to the basket that went nowhere. Australia got a lot of second chances. Shooting and defense need to improve for Monday. Does not look like a cohesive, practiced team (cuz they are not of course).

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Great win but this team will have its hands full with Russia given their lack of size. Sherri is going to have couple of sleepless nights.....

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
So just watched the game! Although I'm no coach (especially for USA basketball) but I don't understand why Ellenberg started instead of an additional post. I feel like 2 posts, kml, and Hartley and Simms in the backcourt would have been a better option.

Just my 2 cents, but hey, a victory is a victory and I love Coach Coale.

Reaction Score
So just watched the game! Although I'm no coach (especially for USA basketball) but I don't understand why Ellenberg started instead of an additional post. I feel like 2 posts, kml, and Hartley and Simms in the backcourt would have been a better option.

Just my 2 cents, but hey, a victory is a victory and I love Coach Coale.
Agree. I think the starting 5 (at least from what I saw this game) would look better with Theresa P. instead of Herberts and Bradford instead of Vegas. I thought that the player of the game was actually Bria who played good defense and was actually trying to find open players and oyu can see the chemistry between her and KML. If Shonie is not injured than it makes no sense to play Ariel M. and not her. Shonie is a much better player than Ariel IMO.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

They did play tough D within the context of a thrown together group seemingly left largely to their own devices.
They made some good steals and blocks, were in the passing lanes, caused a bunch of time violations.

Let's not forget, the Aussies were big, tough, talented and physical and clearly had been together far longer.
In the first quarter, they were relentless in their moves insides and sniping outside, were 10 of 10 at the outset or something like that. But the team found a way to disrupt their offense, climb back into the game while not shooting particularly well and in the third and half of the fourth quarter dominate.

The effort is there.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Sheri wisely shortened her rotation and relied heavily on Bria, Odyssey and Kaleena. Ellenberg, Hooper and Plaisance gave some quality minutes and Bedford came through in the clutch.

The team defense was about what you would expect from players thrown together only a short time ago, which is to say it was not very good. Individually, the D was generally ok, but Harberts, to cite but one example, seemed over-matched by the taller and quicker Aussie forwards.

You might want to watch the replay of the last 14 seconds and see who the Aussies went to twice to score, who was defending her on the USA team, and what happened to the shots by the Aussie player.

Statistically speaking it wasn't very different with Plaisance on the court vs Harberts. Plaisance was a +1 and Harberts was a -2. Hooper was -5.

This team isn't built for play inside to the bigs, or hasn't run very many plays to any of the bigs, and the coach has rarely used two bigs(Gray, Harberts, Hooper or Plaisance) on the court at the same time( about 5.40 of two bigs on the court out of the 40 minute game) . Anytime anyone other than Plaisance is on the court there is a disadvantage in the height between the other teams bigs and the USA squad. But this is the squad the committee or coaches chose in Colorado. It has got us to the Gold Medal game. One more step needed, but it will be a "big" step.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There were many bigs who were unavailable because of injuries or other reasons. Stef being one and Stewie being on the U19 team and Chiney having an academic obligation.

Others like EDD and Griner had moved onto the WNBA. Tough year for available bigs.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I think I heard that Shoni was injured / sick, I didn't quite catch what was said

I'm not sure if the step through move someone commented on above is specifically banned in the NCAA, or is simply considered travelling. And I think there is some debate whether or not it is or isn't technically traveling. There are players in the W that do step-throughs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom