HBCU’s and scheduling conundrum | The Boneyard

HBCU’s and scheduling conundrum

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I enjoyed and respected Gino’s post Jackson State game’s comments but in thinking more about what he said, it highlighted for me the scheduling challenges UConn has

On the one hand, I take him at his word that the best HBCU programs are significantly overlooked by Power 5 (soon to be 4) schools when they put together their OOC schedules. And I pondered whether Geno might actually do something about this going forward.

Ah - the rub. So long as the Big East conference on the women’s side remains this weak, can UConn afford to weaken its own OOC schedule and add a Jackson State? I’m not sure we can.

Thoughts?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I enjoyed and respected Gino’s post Jackson State game’s comments but in thinking more about what he said, it highlighted for me the scheduling challenges UConn has

On the one hand, I take him at his word that the best HBCU programs are significantly overlooked by Power 5 (soon to be 4) schools when they put together their OOC schedules. And I pondered whether Geno might actually do something about this going forward.

Ah - the rub. So long as the Big East conference on the women’s side remains this weak, can UConn afford to weaken its own OOC schedule and add a Jackson State? I’m not sure we can.

Thoughts?
St Joh’s played Jackson State this season. Since St. John’s probably wasn’t expecting to vie for a high seed in the NCAA’s they could afford to play a low SOS school. However, should UConn have a senior that lives near a HBCU, Geno just might reach out for a home game for his player

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I went through the Big East composite schedule. Five different teams had a combined 8 games vs HBCU’s; two were at neutral site tourneys.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It also gets into geography issues - most of the HBCUs are located in the southern half of the east, while most of the BE is in the northern half. Easier to justify a weaker OOC game when travel is localized. The SEC and B12 and even the Big10 have more 'local' HBCUs. And I think that would reflect in scheduling if someone wanted to check all the teams in those conferences.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
One of the things that I respect about Dawn Staley is SCar has been scheduling at least one game against a HBCU for several years.

Geno also said that P5 schools should travel to HBCs for games. That's a two-edged sword, as the schools also get a payout for going to the bigger schools. So while UConn/USC would give exposure to the HBC by playing there, they also give them exposure plus a little revenue for their presumably underfunded athletic programs when the game is at the bigger-drawing school.

Since I haven't been able to get non-scalped tickets when UConn plays at Maryland, I'd love to see them play Morgan State. Plus I know a couple of faculty members so might be able to get an in to good tickets. (Actually I never thought of that for a UMD game, I might have to try that next time.)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
One of the things that I respect about Dawn Staley is SCar has been scheduling at least one game against a HBCU for several years.

Geno also said that P5 schools should travel to HBCs for games. That's a two-edged sword, as the schools also get a payout for going to the bigger schools. So while UConn/USC would give exposure to the HBC by playing there, they also give them exposure plus a little revenue for their presumably underfunded athletic programs when the game is at the bigger-drawing school.

Since I haven't been able to get non-scalped tickets when UConn plays at Maryland, I'd love to see them play Morgan State. Plus I know a couple of faculty members so might be able to get an in to good tickets. (Actually I never thought of that for a UMD game, I might have to try that next time.)
There are several in Maryland and Delaware

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

NC A&T is a HBCU in my backyard. In the past 7 seasons two P5 schools have come to Greensboro. In 2017 UGA and in 2016 a Top 10 UCLA squad led by Jordin Canada and Monique Billings came to Greensboro. UCLA had played at SCar a few days earlier and wanted another game on their east coast trip and NCAT was willing

It also gets into geography issues - most of the HBCUs are located in the southern half of the east, while most of the BE is in the northern half. Easier to justify a weaker OOC game when travel is localized. The SEC and B12 and even the Big10 have more 'local' HBCUs. And I think that would reflect in scheduling if someone wanted to check all the teams in those conferences.

NCAT and NCCU regularly play the NC ACC schools.... always away. I would love to see a NC State or Duke, or even Chapel Hill come to Greensboro and play. The Aggies (NCAT) have been participating in the WBIT and have had two home games and have led all schools in attendance. When its jumping, its a tremendous atmosphere for WCBB.

Reaction Score

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
There are several in Maryland and Delaware

True -- Howard and Coppin State are both easier to get to for me.

Reaction Score
One thing's for sure. If Geno likes and respects you, like the Jackson St. coach, you ain't gonna be unknown for long. He can bring a lot of attention to the people and things he chooses. I would love for us to play at an HBCU next year. It would be a major big deal for that school and help their program on several levels and probably be a career highlight for the players.The sport is burgeoning so that kind of game has a lasting impact. Whether Pat Summit really said it or not "for the good of the game" are powerful words.

Reaction Score
One thing's for sure. If Geno likes and respects you, like the Jackson St. coach, you ain't gonna be unknown for long. He can bring a lot of attention to the people and things he chooses. I would love for us to play at an HBCU next year. It would be a major big deal for that school and help their program on several levels and probably be a career highlight for the players.The sport is burgeoning so that kind of game has a lasting impact. Whether Pat Summit really said it or not "for the good of the game" are
Uconn always tries to play as higher profile team as they can, in their out of conference schedule due to the relatively weak nature of the big east conference and higher profile teams will always want to play at home at home
This leaves UConn wbb with a very sparse home schedule and scheduling another away game
Might be difficult
That being said, it would be great to play a team with Jackson State in regular season game in Mississippi

Reaction Score
VAUC whats up, how are you?
Things are good here, thanx.

The current state of WCBB is quite enjoyable. It is where I was hoping it would be 15 years ago. UConn and South Carolina are still the blue bloods with no end in sight to their dominance. However, there are an astounding number of highly skilled, well coached, competitive programs throughout the WCBB landscape; east coast, west coast, midwest, north south...
The players are now better than they ever have been. The top tier players of yesteryear can certainly hang, but today, the dropoff in talent is not as acute.
More importantly, the game is getting its well deserved due/props/respect/viewership/attention/media coverage. I expect JuJu Watkins to surpass Caitlin's Clark's scoring record three years from now. And there will, very likely, be someone to come behind JuJu and challenge her scoring record. NIL has created a culture of star players. IMO, it is the driving force behind the current surge in popularity. One has to admire how seamlessly Coach Auriemma and the UConn staff have adapted.

Reaction Score
One thing's for sure. If Geno likes and respects you, like the Jackson St. coach, you ain't gonna be unknown for long. He can bring a lot of attention to the people and things he chooses. I would love for us to play at an HBCU next year. It would be a major big deal for that school and help their program on several levels and probably be a career highlight for the players.The sport is burgeoning so that kind of game has a lasting impact. Whether Pat Summit really said it or not "for the good of the game" are powerful words.
Funny you mention "If Geno likes and respects you" part. After the sad firing of Lady Vols Coach Kellie Harper, Jackson State's Coach, Coach Smith, name was mentioned, among the few potential candidates. HBCU coaches don't get that type of love but lately it has been nice seeing and hearing about HBCUs

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psttc

Top Bottom