Hawkins | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hawkins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I partly believe Hurly kind of messed up his confidence early on... He was playing great and hungry at the beginning of the year and Hurley would pull him for any little mistake. Now he plays timid it seems.
I was thinking the same, but at this point it's on Jordan. He's got to figure it out for himself. Life punches you in the face a lot, and it's how you respond that matters. I'm confident he'll get there.

Reaction Score
Not sure when and where I've been challenged? I guess somewhere where I wrote that Hawkins is going to be 20 this spring, when you said he was 18? That someone thinks he will be drafted because he is more likely to leave, but I guess forgets the part that a team has to want to draft you before you get, well, drafted. That he will not be drafted because he is too old given his demonstrated skill set, and the data points that out. And that based on that, he will be at UConn for four years. But I guess for those who live and die by incessant arguments, your yawn is pretty well anticipated. The perpetually aggrieved and cranky have certainly found a home here.

What is this gibberish?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
It’s hard when a guy is billed as a shooter and…doesn’t shoot.

He needs to do other things to contribute

As was mentioned during the wv telecast, hurley not only trusted him to play d on that key late possesssion but put him on wvu’s top guy at that time.

That says something as well.

But yes it’s frustrating that ball isn’t going in. That time should come though

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Tbh I'm glad Dan has decided one of his top 70 freshmen deserves to play through some struggles. You need to invest in the players with the most talent, and he's near the top of that list for us. It'd be different if his competition was clearly much better, like in Samsons case with our other bigs.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I was thinking the same, but at this point it's on Jordan. He's got to figure it out for himself. Life punches you in the face a lot, and it's how you respond that matters. I'm confident he'll get there.
Yeah he should bounce back. It was kind of frustrating to watch in real time though. Like sheesh this kid is our best scorer out there and he was determined to overcoach him..

Reaction Score
Maybe we don’t have to worry about him being a 1 and done. Was gonna hit that freshman wall at some point especially in Big East play, now how does he respond to that. He still pretty raw there’s a reason Hurley didn’t just throw him out there. Probably the case with Diggins as well, just find it hard to believe he can’t give 7-10 minutes per half.

Reaction Score
There is an area of concern and that is that a kid like Hawkins didn’t sign up with UCONN to play 12 minutes a game. We know he has talent and we know he is not meeting Hurley’s expectations yet he desperately wants to be out there for a lot more PT than he is getting. It’s always a fine line for coaches trying to win every game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
There is an area of concern and that is that a kid like Hawkins didn’t sign up with UCONN to play 12 minutes a game. We know he has talent and we know he is not meeting Hurley’s expectations yet he desperately wants to be out there for a lot more PT than he is getting. It’s always a fine line for coaches trying to win every game.
I think it's rarely a fine line.
I'd be very surprised if any of our freshmen disagree that they haven't earned coach's trust in coach's terms. I'm also certain coach has spelled out to them every day what it takes to get that initial major game PT.

Every kid desperately wants to be out there.
There's a very clear hurdle to clear defensively that will not be overlooked by coach because you give up free points. Offensively there's a longer leash. Heck, all Niels Giffey did for 1 year was hold the ball and pivot but he played because he learned the defense and could cover.

I have never been concerned about kids leaving as freshmen. If the advent of the portal proves to change things for some, fine. Those kids either see the handwriting on the wall and head for a smaller program or have some other issues.

Hawk's troubles are tough to watch but I have complete faith in our staff to keep him pushing and lifting his head up.
It's a rare kid that doesn't overcome freshman jitters.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Maybe we don’t have to worry about him being a 1 and done.
And again this nonsense is perpetuated. NO ONE WAS EVER WORRIED ABOUT HIM BEING A 1 AND DONE.

Reaction Score
And again this nonsense is perpetuated. NO ONE WAS EVER WORRIED ABOUT HIM BEING A 1 AND DONE.

It has always been 2 and done, and that's because our coach said it. People on here look SO HARD for things to complain about the players. It's obvious the kid is talented and working hard, just having a hefty freshman slump. It is what it is.

Complain about the coaches, the AD, or the season ticket holders in the lower bowl that still can't show up to sellout games. Always struck me as ridiculous to complain about the kids. Just keep it factual... he's having a rough start to his freshman year. It is what it is.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
It has always been 2 and done, and that's because our coach said it. People on here look SO HARD for things to complain about the players. It's obvious the kid is talented and working hard, just having a hefty freshman slump. It is what it is.

Complain about the coaches, the AD, or the season ticket holders in the lower bowl that still can't show up to sellout games. Always struck me as ridiculous to complain about the kids. Just keep it factual... he's having a rough start to his freshman year. It is what it is.

Great post, but now I'm confused.

Reaction Score
I WAS BEING SARCASTIC HELLOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Was obviously reacting to this 1 and done the board was talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom