Hawkins defense has really improved

Reaction Score
I have a feeling Hawk goes crazy tomorrow and plays his best game of the season
Hr GIF by Telegraph Creative

This will be me in Gampel tomorrow

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Also, working on getting that handle tighter. It has helped Jackson for sure and he looks a lot better dribbling this year than last.
I noticed that Jackson moving out of the backcourt in transition looks like Bouk when he dribbles so low to the floor and yet he, like Bouk, gets great acceleration out of this. Amazing to see these long guys get down so low and move so fast. This keeps the handle tight too.

Reaction Score
He has certainly improved defensively, despite some ups and downs his shot is pure and will eventually be depended upon to make. my observations are that he seems to play TOO FAST, every motion and move is performed with such a swift, almost jerky motion. this results in my nickname for him TOM ( Turn Over Machine ). Once this game slows down for him ( it will ) , he should be fine, but now he is TOM Hawkins to me.

I think confirmation bias is very strong with Hawkins.

He had no turnovers last night.

Better yet, in the last TEN GAMES he has only averaged 0.9 TOs.

1.1 isn't bad on the season either.

I wouldn't really call his TOs a problem. He just doesn't have the handle or passing ability to take the risks setting up his teammates that cause TOs--like Jackson.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Hawk is getting better on defense. He’s getting good looks on offense. They’ll start falling soon. His handle needs a lot of work

Reaction Score
DH deserves a lot of credit for Hawkins D. We all wanted more pt for Hawkins and the other freshman. In particular Hawkins. DH never waivered a bit. To play significant minutes your D has to be solid.

Nice work DH. Hawkins is much more capable of playing multiple minutes on both side of the floor because of you.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Don't know if this was mentioned in the various post-game threads, but one of my low-key favorite moments last night was when Hawkins blocked Arcidiacono to the floor and then glowered over him.

Prior to that, @August_West and I were discussing how Nova appeared to be running plays at him as soon as he was on the floor. It seemed like he got frustrated being targeted and wanted to let it be known that he was not an easy mark. I liked the attitude; it was just enough.

He also played some good defense on Gillespie for a few possessions and had a couple of nice rebounds.

Would have loved for one of his threes to fall, but it was also nice to see him hit the elbow jumper when they took the three away; and a nice pass to Sanogo that would have been an assist, but for Sanogo being fouled.

Reaction Score
Don't know if this was mentioned in the various post-game threads, but one of my low-key favorite moments last night was when Hawkins blocked Arcidiacono to the floor and then glowered over him.

Prior to that, @August_West and I were discussing how Nova appeared to be running plays at him as soon as he was on the floor. It seemed like he got frustrated being targeted and wanted to let it be known that he was not an easy mark. I liked the attitude; it was just enough.

He also played some good defense on Gillespie for a few possessions and had a couple of nice rebounds.

Would have loved for one of his threes to fall, but it was also nice to see him hit the elbow jumper when they took the three away; and a nice pass to Sanogo that would have been an assist, but for Sanogo being fouled.
Hawkins defense was nasty last night.

Reaction Score
Showing he's a two way player at this level. Moving his feet on D instead of hands only. Think he's finally figured out that D/boards keeps him on the floor whether shots are falling or not.

Reaction Score
Great to see him play well last night. As a freshman this year, we have to live with his ups and downs as he gets acclimated to this level of play. Would expect him to be more consistent next year. Hope he works on his handle. His confidence will come.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I didn't notice that but it wouldn't surprise me. Jay Wright knows what he's doing for sure. Earlier in the year, attacking Hawkins was a smart move. Not anymore. He's really using those long arms and moving his feet. Once he ads 10-15 pounds of muscle he's going to be nasty.

They ran ISO plays on Polley a couple times. Looking at some of the replay it seemed like Kimani then had him back off the outside shooter and shade toward the lane a bit more, and that helped keep him from getting beat off the dribble. Not sure I've seen that before yesterday. With his length he really doesn't have to guard so close against guys that can put it on the floor.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom