Haven't beaten a top team | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Haven't beaten a top team

Reaction Score
Props to Purdue for scheduling Morehead State and Samford, I guess.
Well said, sir, and worthy of a master of the anecdotal retort. You are hereby awarded "The Samuel Johnson Prize" for excellence in "refuting it thus."

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
We also didn’t beat any “top teams” last year when we drove through the NCAA tourney

Reaction Score
Several podcasts I listen to bring up that the top teams UConn has beaten are not truly top ten caliber teams. It seems like a ridiculous argument to me. So far to me it seems like there is a clear top 6 in some order Purdue Kansas UConn Arizona Houston Marquette (Although Houston is still a question to me best win at home against a meh A&M team) but after that who are these other actual top ten teams. UNC and the ZAGs have as good a case as anyone. They didn't look like top ten teams because they played us and looked bad. This might be news to the media but that is going to happen a lot this year.
Sounds to me like you waste your time listening to podcasts. There are better ones to waste your time with.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
They should treat it like horse racing. Rather than try to parse teams that have no shot at making the bubble, just call them "the field" and give them the same power ranking.

All they are doing here is ranking cupcakes as if that means anything for the top 50 teams.

Reaction Score
Being that the teams we would have had to play and beat to be considered “world beaters” are a combined 39-3 I’m not sure what control over this we have. If you Arizona, Purdue, and Kansas have better wins than UConn. Thats it.

Reaction Score
Although the OOC part of the seaon is wrapping up, there's still a lot of hoops to be played. Our Huskies did us proud. If we were a tad more healthy, we would have left Allen Fieldhouse with a W. We won't see many games where Spensor doesn't knock down a bunch of 3s. He was playing on a couple of bad wheels. Plus they were without Castle.

I really don't care about the rankings all that much, though like just about everyone here, I always check on Monday to see where we landed.

What i do care more about is:

The eye test! How the team runs their offense, shoots the ball, finishes and defends. How they execute when under duress (lose a late lead or are behind late) and during winning time. So far they've checked this box! I think this year's team runs the best half court offense in college hoops I've seen in many years, which will bode well come March.

Staying healthy when March comes around.

Just about all the top teams will drop some tough conference games, especially on the road. Just as Marquette took it on the chin against the Friars.

UConn has proven more than once that they can be the last team standing regardless to where they are seeded. With that said, I think we'll end up in the top 10 (hopefully stay there all season long) and land anywhere from a top 1 to 3 seed and hopefully see back to back NCAA Championship banners hanging side by side next fall.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Can we maybe stop with the pity party? Oh my we are being disrespected! Oh how can they say these terrible things about us? I can't believe we are only ranked #5! What do you mean we aren't a blue blood!

It's insufferable twaddle. We are UConn. It's beneath our dignity to care what anybody else thinks before or after we play them. It matters not. Just win baby.

Reaction Score
I'll also say I fully understand the hate on this thread. UConn nation myself included loves to play the victim, but I think when seeding is selected by a subjective committee these things matter. While we've historically done great out of the west a regional of Brooklyn and Boston would give is a significant advantage. Also haven't been AP number 1 since I was a freshman and I'm not exactly young so that would be cool too
Wouldn’t play victim about a #1 ranking but I kinda stopped caring about our mid season rankings after our 3rd or 4th championship

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom