Have my hotel and flight but will not be buying through the school | The Boneyard

Have my hotel and flight but will not be buying through the school

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hotel requirement is a non-starter for me

If anyone purchases tix through the school and has extras please let me know. More than willing to reimburse you so that the school gets the money but not cool with the hotel requirement. I have a ton of hotel points for times like this.

Thanks in advance.
Skibs

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Skibs - Have you figured anything out? I'm in the same position and Uconn travel line says they will not likely remove hotel requirement. Thanks

Reaction Score
And because of the school's stupid shizz like this everyone will report we didn't sell any tickets.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, the school is a bit hamstrung here. They're forced by the NCAA to buy the hotel rooms, but they also know the hotel rooms are ridiculously expensive and if they give people the opportunity to just buy tickets, no one will get the hotel rooms and UConn will be on the hook for hundreds of empty hotel rooms. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Reaction Score
I'm still going and will either stub hub or maybe find a Yarder who picked up some extras and took the hotel deal or will scalp. I talked to the ticket office mid day and they would not budge. Very frustrating - feels like the Bowl cartel all over again. Since I only went to 2004 FF and there was no hotel requirement, I figured the same last night when I booked the trip. Will figure something out.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Regular room at the Hyatt Regency Dallas is 224. x 4 nights is $1,000, Not entirely unreasonable. The hotel requirement is unreasonable but not the cost to stay there.

My question is why is the Single $640 more than the double? It's not like a single room is any larger. That just doesn't make sense.

Whatever. I can't go, so I'm really not worried about it except that the narrative will be that UConn fans don't travel well if the allotment is not sold, unless the local beat writers control that narrative.

Last edited:

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I am in the same boat as the you guys. But there is absolutey no chance they are going to sell our ticket allotment with the hotel requirement. And there is no way they are going to return tickets from our allotment back to the NCAA as unsold. So I am just going to call the ADs bluff and wait for them to open up the tickets without the hotel requirement tomorrow or the day after. I hope they blink first on this and I am not stuck outside of Cowboys stadium getting gauged by scalpers.

Reaction Score
I went to the Fiesta Bowl - overpaid for tickets through the school but did so out of loyalty and wanting to sit with Uconn fans. A bunch of others did not and we were pasted for 'not travelling well' in the media even though in the stadium our numbers were 2-3x the reported tickets sold. Am more than willing to buy Final 4 game tickets through the school but have no interest in paying/overpaying for a hotel when I can use my points. I get that the AD is in a bind here but to require four nights, to price them per person (versus per room) just screams of lack of flexibility/creativity. Not sure what the other schools are doing and whether this is the norm or not but just doesn't sit right with me.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I went to the Fiesta Bowl - overpaid for tickets through the school but did so out of loyalty and wanting to sit with Uconn fans. A bunch of others did not and we were pasted for 'not travelling well' in the media even though in the stadium our numbers were 2-3x the reported tickets sold. Am more than willing to buy Final 4 game tickets through the school but have no interest in paying/overpaying for a hotel when I can use my points. I get that the AD is in a bind here but to require four nights, to price them per person (versus per room) just screams of lack of flexibility/creativity. Not sure what the other schools are doing and whether this is the norm or not but just doesn't sit right with me.

I am in the exact same position as you....I bought my Fiesta Bowl tickets (and all bowl game tickets) through the school out of loyalty. But this requirement of the hotel is just too ridiculous for me to even consider. I just got off of the phone with the ticket people and they are still holding their line. Hoping their common sense kicks in soon, or I may have to be out all together as prices continue to rise as the game gets closer.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Florida is not requiring a travel package of any kind. Tickets are sold independent of travel packages.
http://www.groupminder.com/internet/resBasePak.cfm?cstId=3&evtId=534&evtName=2014 Final Four - Florida&CFID=2619516&CFTOKEN=15361004

Reaction Score
Looks like Wisconsin isn't either although they would greatly appreciate it if their fans did buy the hotel package - those midwesterners are so polite

http://www.uwbadgers.com/tickets/ncaa-tournament-central.html

Can I request/ purchase game tickets through the Wisconsin Athletic Ticket Office and the Wisconsin Alumni Association?

No, ticket maximums apply per patron account regardless of avenue tickets are purchased/requested. All tickets, regardless of avenue purchased/requested, will be allocated based on 2013 annual giving levels and priority points within giving levels.

If Game Ticket and Hotel Packages sell out before Monday, March 31 at 1:00pm, can I still purchase/request game tickets through the Wisconsin Athletic Ticket Office?

Yes, donors and men’s basketball season ticket holders will have until 1:00pm on Monday, March 31 to purchase/request tickets.

What nights are included in hotel packages?

Hotel packages are a four-night minimum – the nights of Friday, April 4 through Monday, April 7. Patrons should be aware that institutions participating in the Final Four are financially obligated by the NCAA to a large block of hotel rooms. We appreciate your interest in staying and traveling with the Badgers!

Reaction Score
I'm on the phone with them now, and they are only selling packages, not tickets only.

It's the NCAA that requires this, need for Mrs. President and the AD to take it up with them.

Reaction Score
I think that eventually UConn will sell all it's required ravel packages, and then sell just tickets. This happened in St. Pete and San Antonio.

Reaction Score
I think that eventually UConn will sell all it's required ravel packages, and then sell just tickets. This happened in St. Pete and San Antonio.
The same thing happened in Detroit and Houston

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Any idea what section the school supported tickets are in?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I bought the hotel in 2011 and it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Reaction Score
Usually in the lower level
I think that they will be I several different sections, some upper, some lower.

For SA, I had UConn tix, in a mezzanine section with maybe 100 others. I could clearly see two other sections, one at mid court, the other in the upper deck.

Same with St. Pete. I was in the upper deck, and there was a large UConn section in the lower section.

Reaction Score
I think that they will be I several different sections, some upper, some lower.

For SA, I had UConn tix, in a mezzanine section with maybe 100 others. I could clearly see two other sections, one at mid court, the other in the upper deck.

Same with St. Pete. I was in the upper deck, and there was a large UConn section in the lower section.
That was with the old half court configuration. With the center court one, as it was in Houston, the vast majority (if not all) of school-allotted tickets are in the lower level.

Reaction Score
I bought the hotel in 2011 and it was one of the best decisions I ever made.
I completely agree. In Detroit, we did not go through the school and stayed at a different hotel than the UConn fans/players. In Houston, we went through the school and stayed at the UConn hotel. What a more enjoyable experience being around and meeting UConn fans and running into players and coaches at the hotel. Some of my favorite moments were being in the lobby when the team would return after each game/practice. We purchased our tickets today through the school, and I wouldn't do it any other way.

Reaction Score
HooHusky said:

This. I bought game tickets only for San Antonio, Detroit and Houston. You just have to wait until Weds or so.

Reaction Score
TopDog18 said:
I completely agree. In Detroit, we did not go through the school and stayed at a different hotel than the UConn fans/players. In Houston, we went through the school and stayed at the UConn hotel. What a more enjoyable experience being around and meeting UConn fans and running into players and coaches at the hotel. Some of my favorite moments were being in the lobby when the team would return after each game/practice. We purchased our tickets today through the school, and I wouldn't do it any other way.

I get this. We didn't but we went back to the UCONN hotel after the game. Was awesome.

It is poor economics though. Rooms come out to 400/night. And there are plenty of rooms in Dallas for far less.

I understand why they have to do it. And I understand why everyone hates it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I get this. We didn't but we went back to the UCONN hotel after the game. Was awesome.

It is poor economics though. Rooms come out to 400/night. And there are plenty of rooms in Dallas for far less.

I understand why they have to do it. And I understand why everyone hates it.

I'm not sure why the NCAA requires the schools to purchase a certain number of rooms.

My guess is that it's to subsidize free rooms for the NCAA, because I can't come up with any other reason why there would be a requirement.

Reaction Score
whaler11 said:
I'm not sure why the NCAA requires the schools to purchase a certain number of rooms. My guess is that it's to subsidize free rooms for the NCAA, because I can't come up with any other reason why there would be a requirement.

If they didn't hold a block there is no way they would get a big enough block for everyone to stay together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom