Hats off to ND | The Boneyard

Hats off to ND

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As Geno said they were very good and the game was a struggle. I'm hearing a lot of comments about an "ugly game". Yes there were turnovers and some sloppy passes, but I think it was the defenses that made the difference. LMM threw a lot of different looks at us tonight and she gave us fits trying to run our offense. However, our defense was even better; that's what won it for us.

Reaction Score
As Geno said they were very good and the game was a struggle. I'm hearing a lot of comments about an "ugly game". Yes there were turnovers and some sloppy passes, but I think it was the defenses that made the difference. LMM threw a lot of different looks at us tonight and she gave us fits trying to run our offense. However, our defense was even better; that's what won it for us.

Yes.....congrats to Notre Dame. They are the champions of the losers.

Reaction Score
Any clue why Muffet shut it down with almost a minute to go? Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere.

Reaction Score
ND is a helluva team. They bring everyone back. There are going to be some really good teams next year.
You are right and UConn is going to be one of them. Depending on how the incoming class adapts, we could be awesome next year. There are no guarantees from freshmen but these kids coming in have the potential to be unbelievable. Time will tell.

Reaction Score
Any clue why Muffet shut it down with almost a minute to go? Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere.
It's as if she was satisfied that ND only lost to UConn by 10 points. Fouling would only add to the score and look worse. No other reason, ICTO.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
You are right and UConn is going to be one of them. Depending on how the incoming class adapts, we could be awesome next year. There are no guarantees from freshmen but these kids coming in have the potential to be unbelievable. Time will tell.
I believe that Natalie Butler is the key to next year. If she plays anything like Dolson, freeing up Stewart and Tuck, it will be an incredible year. Can Butler stay with Turner from ND and Wilson from SC? Tune in next year, folks.

Reaction Score
I believe that Natalie Butler is the key to next year. If she plays anything like Dolson, freeing up Stewart and Tuck, it will be an incredible year. Can Butler stay with Turner from ND and Wilson from SC? Tune in next year, folks.

One could ask if Turner and Wilson can stay with Gabby Williams.

Reaction Score
Would be nice if she could be the new intimidator like Kiah from a defensive perspective while adding more scoring. I still don't know who replaces KML. Slide Tuck into her spot and make Butler a true starting center? With the class coming in how do you divide up the minutes between Chong, Gabby, Ek, KLS, DJ, Collier, T, and Polly? Our bench in a year will be top 5 or 6 team.

Reaction Score
I'm appreciably less worried about Wilson than I am about Turner. I think there's a massive difference between a Muffet McGraw coached team and a Dawn Staley coached team. I think with a year of maturity, this Notre Dame is going to be amazing and I don't think we'll see too much growth in South Carolina. I do think Wilson is going to be quite impressive but it's the Irish that'll continue to be a concern for the Huskies. If Butler has improved physically and emotionally from her outstanding season in the Big East where she was freshman of the year, I think we'll be in good shape. Assuming that Samuelson and Collier come in and perform at the level most people expect them to, we are going to be crazy good, at least in the latter part of the season. I would say this incoming class is in the same ballpark as the class who came in three years ago, with Moriah, Breanna and Morgan and how awesome were they?

Reaction Score
Would be nice if she could be the new intimidator like Kiah from a defensive perspective while adding more scoring. I still don't know who replaces KML. Slide Tuck into her spot and make Butler a true starting center? With the class coming in how do you divide up the minutes between Chong, Gabby, Ek, KLS, DJ, Collier, T, and Polly? Our bench in a year will be top 5 or 6 team.

Katie Lou Samuelson should provide some of KMLs minutes and points...maybe even as a freshman.

Dividing minutes played tends to clarify as the season progresses...time will tell.

As always, it will be entertaining, interesting, and funnn to watch the team evolve.

Reaction Score
ND is a helluva team. They bring everyone back. There are going to be some really good teams next year.
This game will be the perfect lesson on the value of defense and rebounding. I can already hear coach yelling at the incoming freshmen to move their feet!

Reaction Score
I'm appreciably less worried about Wilson than I am about Turner. I think there's a massive difference between a Muffet McGraw coached team and a Dawn Staley coached team. I think with a year of maturity, this Notre Dame is going to be amazing and I don't think we'll see too much growth in South Carolina. I do think Wilson is going to be quite impressive but it's the Irish that'll continue to be a concern for the Huskies. If Butler has improved physically and emotionally from her outstanding season in the Big East where she was freshman of the year, I think we'll be in good shape. Assuming that Samuelson and Collier come in and perform at the level most people expect them to, we are going to be crazy good, at least in the latter part of the season. I would say this incoming class is in the same ballpark as the class who came in three years ago, with Moriah, Breanna and Morgan and how awesome were they?

South Carolina is no worse than the fourth best team in the country this year. Are you, by chance, suggesting that South Carolina's appearance in the Final Four was not the result of coaching? That despite an increasingly better record during Coach Staley's tenure coaching the Gamecocks, they have reached their ceiling? No room for growth?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think there's a massive difference between a Muffet McGraw coached team and a Dawn Staley coached team.
The two teams played to a 1 point game in the final 4. There were 2 lead changes in the last minute of the game. I would not call that a "massive difference".

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
ND was threatening to overthrow a dynasty, but UConn has effectively beaten the Irish in three consecutive NC games from 2013 through 2015.

Having said that, Muffet has done very well to develop teams year over year, even with graduation of great players. ND lost its engine in 2012 with the graduation of its engine (embodied by Mallory/Peters/Achonwa). After that, they lost Skylar, and after that, Achonwa and McBride moved on. And they're still here.

Of course, the team as composed in 2014-15 mostly returns next season, at which point, they'll be one of the two or three best teams in the country yet again.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Katie Lou Samuelson should provide some of KMLs minutes and points...maybe even as a freshman.

Dividing minutes played tends to clarify as the season progresses...time will tell.

As always, it will be entertaining, interesting, and funnn to watch the team evolve.
Agreed- she will be playing a lot of minutes and be given every opportunity to be our new KML.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
ND is the only team that really competes with us on a certain BB IQ level. They are well coached & get it. Dayton, Gonzaga, Green Bay, etc are high IQ great teams that don't Hebrew the talent to compete in the end. Hats off to Muppet & ND. Turner improved like Stewie did I her frosh year!

Reaction Score
It's as if she was satisfied that ND only lost to UConn by 10 points. Fouling would only add to the score and look worse. No other reason, ICTO.
Yeah she kept saying that they didn't expect to be there? Was that just to take pressure off her players? But it did seem as if she was content just to be there. In post game comments (see link to local TV report in another thread) all the players were really pissed off and tired of seeing UCONN with the NC. One of the players said they wouldn't be satisfied until they were cutting down the nets and UCONN was in the locker room.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Four appearances in the last 5 years in the NC game (more than UConn in that span) speaks to a great team, maybe now the best rivalry UConn has ever had, and a certain amount of misfortune for ND kind of being in the the wrong place in the wrong era. If those five years with these teams had been stretched between 2004 to 2008, I'm guessing they would have one, though maybe it just would have been like 2011 when the chance was really open but Irish weren't ready. ESPN should play up the rivalry to the hilt next season, as it's probably the best in sports right now.

And as Geno said after the game, "Wow."

Reaction Score
I agree. Hats off to ND and Coach McGraw. They have a great program with great leadership. To reach the heights that McGraw has reached with this program, is outstanding. She has the Notre Dame women's basketball program more popular than ever. So indeed, hats off to ND and coach McGraw.

Reaction Score
I'll admit that I was one who thought it was an ugly game. I like a lot of scoring - but our defense was very good. I think ND will be scary good next year if Loyd comes back. I saw a tweet by Rebecca Lobo that said she has until 10pm tonight to declare for the draft. Is that true? Anyway - I see another ND/UConn title game next year unless some other teams get substantially better (SCAR, TN, Baylor). I am so curious to see Butler play - and the incoming frosh.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
In order to make fouling work, 1) it has to be against a team that doesn't make clutch FT's, UCONN normally does. 2) you have to have a team that can make a lot of 3's. ND doesn't really shoot that many of them. I think she realized they couldn't make up the deficit. No use dragging out the inevitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom