Hat tip to our adopted Big Ten poster, B1GAlum- Michigan AD anticipates further expansion | The Boneyard

Hat tip to our adopted Big Ten poster, B1GAlum- Michigan AD anticipates further expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
B1GAlum posted this article in a thread about ECU football. That was enough for me to want to pull it out and start a new one. Back in may 2013 the michigan AD Dave Brandon stated he didn't count out more big ten expansion. I think that's when frankthetank walked in and unsurprisingly said Brandon is a clueless interloper. Brandon speaks again. Countdown to a frankthetank appearance?

http://btn.com/2013/08/21/web-links-another-u-m-injury-alvarez-vs-bielema-more/

TheWolverine.com caught up with Michigan A.D. Dave Brandon. And, after 2014, it doesn’t look like the Wolverines and Irish will be meeting.

What about more Big Ten expansion?
“There’s always going to be buzz, and yes, I do anticipate further expansion,” Brandon said. “Various conferences are exploring it, but specific to the Big Ten, I think we’re pretty comfortable where we are right now. We’re still digesting the addition of two programs that haven’t even started out yet. We’re pretty busy assimilating two very large institutions in getting all the scheduling and both athletic and academic collaborations built.
“I don’t know of any discussions taking place that pertain specially to the Big Ten, but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if there were other discussions taking place with other conferences and schools. I personally believe you’re going to see more consolidation in the future.”

Reaction Score
"and both athletic and academic collaborations built."

Interesting, I wonder how many BIG10 faculty we are recruiting to jump start the academic and research collaborations. One can only hope for the pieces to all fit into place.
OK, back to lurk mode.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
B1GAlum posted this article in a thread about ECU football. That was enough for me to want to pull it out and start a new one. Back in may 2013 the michigan AD Dave Brandon stated he didn't count out more big ten expansion. I think that's when frankthetank walked in and unsurprisingly said Brandon is a clueless interloper. Brandon speaks again. Countdown to a frankthetank appearance?

http://btn.com/2013/08/21/web-links-another-u-m-injury-alvarez-vs-bielema-more/

TheWolverine.com caught up with Michigan A.D. Dave Brandon. And, after 2014, it doesn’t look like the Wolverines and Irish will be meeting.

What about more Big Ten expansion?
“There’s always going to be buzz, and yes, I do anticipate further expansion,” Brandon said. “Various conferences are exploring it, but specific to the Big Ten, I think we’re pretty comfortable where we are right now. We’re still digesting the addition of two programs that haven’t even started out yet. We’re pretty busy assimilating two very large institutions in getting all the scheduling and both athletic and academic collaborations built.
“I don’t know of any discussions taking place that pertain specially to the Big Ten, but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if there were other discussions taking place with other conferences and schools. I personally believe you’re going to see more consolidation in the future.”
thats great to here.

Reaction Score
Dude, did you just post a rant based on a quote off of his sigline? Dude this is a UCONN board ten times as worse things are posted about UCONN on ru sites daily. Do you rush over to defend UCONN over every perceived slight? Stop trolling so damn hard. You ruin nearly every goshdarn thread on our board.

Reaction Score
Ye
Dude, did you just post a rant based on a quote off of his sigline? Dude this is a UCONN board ten times as worse things are posted about UCONN on ru sites daily. Do you rush over to defend UCONN over every perceived slight? Stop trolling so damn hard. You ruin nearly every goshdarn thread on our board.
yeah pal,my bad ....I deleted it Im sorry you guys had to read it! I guess with some of these southern anti RU posts my radar was "too sensitive"..thanks for notifying me about it!I had just finished deleting it when I read your response!Again guys Im really sorry!

Reaction Score
Ruin?And to think I thought I was just one of many participants?Or would you like 1 point of view on here like certain other boards?I can't say with honesty that any 1 poster could ruin everything except maybe exAD at BC Gene DeFillipo!!

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
There's pressure on the Big 12 to expand which might mean two schools given their resistance.

Then the ACC turns around and says there's no team that makes the contract whole but UCF keeps ESPN happy and Raycom with a regional team and Cincy plays into the Yankee Stadium alliance nicely.

Florida and Ohio cheer. UConn moves higher on the expansion chart.

u

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Read the sentence immediately below about B1G being set. Let's face it, it's AAC. We lost!

Where does it say 'set'? He said 'pretty comfortable' which is entirely different. These people choose their words very carefully.

Reaction Score
You have to read the whole quote and not cherry pick the part about CR not being through.

Various conferences are exploring it, but specific to the Big Ten, I think we’re pretty comfortable where we are right now. We’re still digesting the addition of two programs that haven’t even started out yet. We’re pretty busy assimilating two very large institutions in getting all the scheduling and both athletic and academic collaborations built.

I don’t know of any discussions taking place that pertain specially to the Big Ten, but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if there were other discussions taking place with other conferences and schools. I personally believe you’re going to see more consolidation in the future.”

I think he believes, as many of us do, that there will be some more movement, but he is NOT alluding to the Big Ten...The Big 12 is at 10, they might pick up a couple of teams. Other conferences outside of the power five might expand as well.

The Big Ten? I think that they could add a Mizzou and a UConn...but they could also sit tight.

Reaction Score
You have to read the whole quote and not cherry pick the part about CR not being through.

Various conferences are exploring it, but specific to the Big Ten, I think we’re pretty comfortable where we are right now. We’re still digesting the addition of two programs that haven’t even started out yet. We’re pretty busy assimilating two very large institutions in getting all the scheduling and both athletic and academic collaborations built.

I don’t know of any discussions taking place that pertain specially to the Big Ten, but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if there were other discussions taking place with other conferences and schools. I personally believe you’re going to see more consolidation in the future.”

I think he believes, as many of us do, that there will be some more movement, but he is NOT alluding to the Big Ten...The Big 12 is at 10, they might pick up a couple of teams. Other conferences outside of the power five might expand as well.

The Big Ten? I think that they could add a Mizzouri and a UConn...but they could also sit tight.

You may be right, but I find it interesting that B1G people keep mentioning expansion. Seems to me if the B1G were happy where they were and had no future expansion plans they would stop bringing it up. Just MHO, but I think they are looking to get to 16 (or more) and are waiting for the right teams and right moment. I also think UConn is in the mix.

pj

Reaction Score
You may be right, but I find it interesting that B1G people keep mentioning expansion. Seems to me if the B1G were happy where they were and had no future expansion plans they would stop bringing it up. Just MHO, but I think they are looking to get to 16 (or more) and are waiting for the right teams and right moment. I also think UConn is in the mix.

Agreed. They seem to be shaking the trees hoping some schools will drop loose. But since they've been doing the shaking for several years, it seems like schools will have looked at their options. They may have to accept that UConn is the best they can do. Who would be #16 though?

Reaction Score
Agreed. They seem to be shaking the trees hoping some schools will drop loose. But since they've been doing the shaking for several years, it seems like schools will have looked at their options. They may have to accept that UConn is the best they can do. Who would be #16 though?

I think 16 is the number. It appears those conferences with a conference championship game all want to get there for scheduling.

Reaction Score

It looks like the Dude of WV is gonna sort that all out for you :rolleyes:

The Dude of WV@theDudeofWV
12h
By the way. My best, and most reliable B1G source joins me on Tuesday night after Whit to talk B1G expansion plans. A full hour!​
@theDudeofWV You should start out with his voice altered and some clandestine name like, "Mr X."​
@ricklacour2010 Maybe I well... thankfully not many recognize Delany's voice (I kid, I kid)​

Reactions: pj

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think 16 is the number. It appears those conferences with a conference championship game all want to get there for scheduling.

I'm an idiot... what is the magic in a 16 team conference?; 7 div games, 2 cross div game and 3 non conf games?

pj

Reaction Score
I'm an idiot... what is the magic in a 16 team conference?; 7 div games, 2 cross div game and 3 non conf games?

Yes. Play everyone in your division every year, cover the other division in 4 years. That's a simple scheduling arrangement.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Yes. Play everyone in your division every year, cover the other division in 4 years. That's a simple scheduling arrangement.
thanks

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes 16 is the magic number. Sure no one has 16. But it's magic.

Reaction Score
The Big 12, if going to 16, will have to pull in six teams....I assume that they will want an eastern wing podded with WVU.

Cincy, UConn, and who else makes any sense?

Reaction Score
The Big 12, if going to 16, will have to pull in six teams....I assume that they will want an eastern wing podded with WVU.

USF, UCF, maybe ECU. ECU fans would go nuts in the Big 12.

Reaction Score
Their dream scenario is plucking off Arkansas and LSU. Pretty funny stuff.
In that case, they can aim for Arkansas State and Louisiana Tech/Tulane.

Reaction Score
In that case, they can aim for Arkansas State and Louisiana Tech/Tulane.

Tulane actually seems to have some fan support - CSU too, actually.

I think people in general are confused whether or not the conference is committed to bridging the gap between WVU and the rest of the Big 12 or if they're content to leave them on an island. Most of the expansion targets that do come up are Southwestern in flavor

Reaction Score
Tulane actually seems to have some fan support - CSU too, actually.

I think people in general are confused whether or not the conference is committed to bridging the gap between WVU and the rest of the Big 12 or if they're content to leave them on an island. Most of the expansion targets that do come up are Southwestern in flavor
Hard to really speculate which direction they'll go in. If TVs are the goal, they'd aim east of the Mississippi as much as possible, which would obviously bridge WVU to the rest of the Big 12. The Big 12 will be able to sell itself wherever it goes, despite being as stupid as they've been. The Pac-12 has the western half of the country locked down.

Personally, I assume the Big 12 is drooling over Florida, at least. The length of time they took to just add WVU and only stay at 10 took away some of the best options they had to bridge WVU. Pitt and Louisville to get to 12 would have been a great, great move for the conference.

Reaction Score

Uconn, Boise, cincy, USF, UCF, byu or temple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer