Has the gag order been lifted? | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Has the gag order been lifted?

Reaction Score
To think this is right, a common practice, or all above board means you're either willfully ignorant, a hypocrite, or an idiot.

Or you could understand that contract law in American jurisprudence is grounded in economic efficiency and not morality.

And that not only did Herbst and Benedict have the option to seek to fire KO for cause under the facts here, they arguably had a fiduciary duty to do so.

And for those obsessed with whaling - er, wailing - and gnashing of teeth about the morality of all this, why is UConn any more immoral for using a contract clause to get out of paying KO $10 million despite the minor nature of the NCAA violations than KO is for using a contract clause to assert he's entitled to $10 million despite driving the program off a frigging cliff?

Reaction Score
Yeah that’s because you are mad at him because the team sucked.

Cheer on an athletic department that pays someone to coach another team and employ a rat.

Then pretend that Calhoun while employed by another school didn’t sanction said rat potentially damaging UConn.

I get it Ollie sucked - but you are cheering on snakes in order to save the school some amount of money that doesn’t matter.

Calhoun created the situation - got jealous that there was success beyond him and has acted like a 9 year old who can’t have a toy for 3 years.

If you are cool cheering for that to save a few dollars - that’s great. I’ll pass on pretending they aren’t duplicitious backstabbers.

Could Calhoun be that spiteful? Could Ollie be that much of an ingrate?
Wow, Hurley may turn out to be a god if he can straighten things out and win some NC's.

Reaction Score
welp I'm not sure how he gets out of this one

"Ollie got a close personal friend named Derek Hamilton to train some of the players off campus in 2015-16. Several players participated in after hours, on-campus workouts with Hamilton as well as off-campus workouts. Three players traveled to Atlanta to train with Hamilton and the players were fed, transported and housed for free — all considered NCAA violations. The letter said one of the parents of a player who went to Atlanta even called Ollie to ask if the trip was legal."

checkmate

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Or you could understand that contract law in American jurisprudence is grounded in economic efficiency and not morality.

And that not only did Herbst and Benedict have the option to seek to fire KO for cause under the facts here, they arguably had a fiduciary duty to do so.

And for those obsessed with whaling - er, wailing - and gnashing of teeth about the morality of all this, why is UConn any more immoral for using a contract clause to get out of paying KO $10 million despite the minor nature of the NCAA violations than KO is for using a contract clause to assert he's entitled to $10 million despite driving the program off a frigging cliff?

Just admit it's disingenuous. It's a message board, it'll be ok to take off the national flag blue.

They are (possibly) going to get out of this $10M deal due to minor NCAA violations used as technicalities and the fact a former employee of the UConn basketball program snitched the NCAA.

Oh, and the fact that had we'd made the NCAA Tournament last year, none of this would be happening.

It's a slimy situation, perpetuated by a President who is clueless towards D1 athletics and has already had to be bailed out from a prior idiotic buyout with the Diaco situation. Only cost us a BC home game and a payday game at Clemson.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Signing a contract is supposed to mean something. There may be boilerplate terms about NCAA violations at most schools that aren't expected to stand up in arbitration or court, but every impression I got when Ollie signed and re-upped was that UConn's contracts are very nailed down on this issue compared to industry standards.

It seems like some on this board are of the opinion that Ollie would have reasonably expected to 1) have his team lose a bunch of games and look like garbage doing it 2) have NCAA violations occur under his watch 3) face no consequences from his employer for the losing or the violations despite a pretty iron clad contract saying DON'T COMMIT ANY FACHKING NCAA VIOLATIONS KEVINNNN

Reaction Score
Bingo and bingo. People want to make this about JC's sketchiness or about the sketchiness at other programs. This story isn't about corruption in college basketball. This story is about an administration finding reasons to can an employee for cause because they couldn't can him for performance.

Nope. Go back and read contract. Performance was one of the potential triggers for gifting for cause. KO got what he earned.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
This board is absolutely bananas on this one.
To think this is right, a common practice, or all above board means you're either willfully ignorant, a hypocrite, or an idiot.

Have a look around college sports man. It is kinda common. My favorite example is ex Florida football coach Jim McElwain. They wanted him out, but he had a $12.5m buyout. They fire him, with 'cause' being that he failed to provide evidence of claimed death threats against him for his coaching performance. He was forced to settle for $7.5m.

Hell look at Pitt trying to fire Stallings for cause this spring, because they didn't want to pay the $10m. Their justification? On Jan. 2 Stallings responded to a verbal barb from the crowd in Louisville that “at least we didn’t pay our players $100,000." That's it. They ended up reaching an undisclosed settlement.

Bottom line, there is no integrity in major college sports. None. You need to understand and accept that if you are going to enjoy the product. Having gone to school in the SEC, and witnessing some of the things that went on, I've long held zero illusions about the cesspool that is college athletics.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Didn't Benedict once hire Bruce Pearl? My God, what a mess. Calhoun created a family bond with players n coaches that's now fractured & embarrassing. Hope this doesn't mess up the Hurley era. Fact is the only folks who really bleed blue are fans. Think any former players ever went to sleep wondering about conference realignment like we do?

And where are all the donations to the Werth Center from the many millionaires that came through the program?

One of Calhoun's responsibilities was to secure major gifts from his former players and, unless I'm mistaken, the only major gifts were from Emeka, Donyell, Ollie and possibly one other.

So many people here dump on Syracuse, yet their practice center is named after Carmelo Anthony who only played there one year, gave Boeheim his only championship, and who apparently feels more gratitude to that school than all the big names who played for Calhoun.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Every donor receives a brochure every year describing how contacting a PSA is a violation unless there's a prior relationship. How did Ray Allen not know this?

Of course Ray knows it. Every D1 school in the country that has prominent ex-players does this every year. Geno has done it. Secondary NCAA violation.

Nobody cares, unless you happen to be looking for every conceivable NCAA violation to void a 10.6 million buyout clause.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Herbst, Warde and AD signed a deal favorable to them? That would be a first. Just like we didn't have to buyout Diaco?

Come back to reality for me for a second. They signed a horrible deal and that is why we're in this mess debating whether a phone call from Ray Allen and a couple workouts is going to void the $10M they are on the hook for.

That was poorly worded on my part. I wasn't trying to imply they signed a favorable deal. There isn't a person alive who'd claim that. The buyout on the deal was an idiotic concession.

I was saying they shouldn't be ashamed about including a provision which affords them as much leverage as possible.

Reaction Score
Of course Ray knows it. Every D1 school in the country that has prominent ex-players does this every year. Geno has done it. Secondary NCAA violation.

Nobody cares, unless you happen to be looking for every conceivable NCAA violation to void a 10.6 million buyout clause.

Unless of course you've been whacked previously for the same type of violations.

Legislative Services Database - LSDBi

Institution: University of Connecticut

Date: February 22, 2011

Violation Summary: Violations of NCAA legislation involving: impermissible recruiting of a prospect by a representative of the institution's athletics interests; impermissible phone calls and text messages; impermissible inducements; impermissible entertainment; unethical conduct; failure to promote an atmosphere for compliance and failure to monitor by the institution.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

You could have tightened up the closing characterization of what KO did, but I doubt it would move the needle for those disinclined to take a look at how much substance exists in your post. There has been ample basis for and incentive toward settling throughout this drama,and anyone claiming an absolute position at this point forfeits a place at any good negotiation table.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Signing a contract is supposed to mean something. There may be boilerplate terms about NCAA violations at most schools that aren't expected to stand up in arbitration or court, but every impression I got when Ollie signed and re-upped was that UConn's contracts are very nailed down on this issue compared to industry standards.

It seems like some on this board are of the opinion that Ollie would have reasonably expected to 1) have his team lose a bunch of games and look like garbage doing it 2) have NCAA violations occur under his watch 3) face no consequences from his employer for the losing or the violations despite a pretty iron clad contract saying DON'T COMMIT ANY FACHKING NCAA VIOLATIONS KEVINNNN

Yes, Ollie knew he was committing NCAA violations if the allegations are true. His defense now seems to primarily consist of making his 2 year old, whiney, pickle-sucking face, while exclaiming, "Yeah, I broke the rules, but y'all let Jimmy and Geno break a bunch of rules and you never fired them, so you can't fire me either!"

Reaction Score
Just admit it's disingenuous. It's a message board, it'll be ok to take off the national flag blue.

They are (possibly) going to get out of this $10M deal due to minor NCAA violations used as technicalities and the fact a former employee of the UConn basketball program snitched the NCAA.

Oh, and the fact that had we'd made the NCAA Tournament last year, none of this would be happening.

It's a slimy situation, perpetuated by a President who is clueless towards D1 athletics and has already had to be bailed out from a prior idiotic buyout with the Diaco situation. Only cost us a BC home game and a payday game at Clemson.

This isn't slimy, this is common sense. This is a situation where an employee badly underperformed such that it was imperative to fire him before he could do more damage to the product. The employer could either pay him $10 million after firing him, or not. The employer is funded in part by your tax dollars. Are you saying you want the employer to say 'ah heck, he did a terrible job and we have the right to void our $10 million obligation to him, but let's go ahead and pay him anyway'? That's nuts.

Reaction Score
I wonder how often the NCAA gives a coach immunity? Anyone recall that happening before?
Quite frankly, before OR after the FBI publicized its' Nike pays players' friends and family investigations?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Bottom line, there is no integrity in major college sports. None. You need to understand and accept that if you are going to enjoy the product. Having gone to school in the SEC, and witnessing some of the things that went on, I've long held zero illusions about the cesspool that is college athletics.

That's essentially the point I'm trying to make here.

I hold zero illusions about college sports, and frankly don't care either (with obvious exceptions like Mich State, Baylor, Penn State, etc.)

My point here is that Herbst and UConn went about this in a sleazy way, with the help of Miller who ratted out Ollie over some frivolous bs. Which both scenarios ultimately would have never come to light or been an issue had KO been winning.

The notion that some people here think it's proper business conduct is a joke.

Reaction Score
Our terrible fanbase is why UConn got left behind... the Ollie situation has made it crystal clear these are not people you want to be in a foxhole with.

Cheering on rat Glen Miller. If I didn’t see it I probably wouldn’t have believed it.
People can continue to convince each other who is right here but one thing is for sure, you need to be banned from here and find a new team to root for.

Reaction Score
welp I'm not sure how he gets out of this one

"Ollie got a close personal friend named Derek Hamilton to train some of the players off campus in 2015-16. Several players participated in after hours, on-campus workouts with Hamilton as well as off-campus workouts. Three players traveled to Atlanta to train with Hamilton and the players were fed, transported and housed for free — all considered NCAA violations. The letter said one of the parents of a player who went to Atlanta even called Ollie to ask if the trip was legal."

Wasn’t Vance Jackson’s dad being mad online and threatening to leak damaging info about KO and the program a while back (pre Ollie firing)? Maybe he was the parent who knew about this.

Anyway these are minor infractions that won’t hurt UConn long term. With that said KO should have known he wasnt getting the job done and then accepted a lesser buyout. Of course cause is only used when you’re losing, but this seems clear as day to me. Whether or not you think it’s shady or warranted, UConn is off the hook.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
How much closer is this to being over? I'm not even reading about it.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
UConn had to find NCAA infractions, but not any that would trigger sanctions against Hurley's teams. Tricky tightrope to walk.
Bump.

Hiding on page one a mere 6 posts beneath @Brochacho 's Comment that deserves all thirty-four Likes it has received thus far.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom