Has Stewie's shooting touch temporarily abandoned her..?? | The Boneyard

Has Stewie's shooting touch temporarily abandoned her..??

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Stewie hook.jpeg

In another thread, another BY poster hypothesized that UConn was playing very well "at a time when Stewie's shooting touch has, at least temporarily, abandoned her"..... I didn't think this was true, or at least I didn't have that impression, so I checked. Here's Stewie's shooting stats from the field & the free throw line over the last 10 games:
1. From the field = 68-129 or 52.7%
2. From the free throw line = 28-34 or 82.4% ;)

But how does that compare to the first few games or the season? :eek:
3. In the first 7 games, Stewie shot 51.2% & 76% from the field and free throws.
4. For the season, Stewie is shooting 52.1% & 79.7% from the field & free throws.
5. Last year, she shot 49.7% & 77.4% from the field & free throws. (In case you were wondering...)

Yeah, but the last 5 games are when the shooting touch has really fallen off...right?
6. Stewie, in the last 5 games, is 34-61 or 55.7% from the field. :rolleyes:
7. From the free throw line = 8-11 or 72.7%

Bottom line = Stewie scores so easily & in so many different ways, it is easy to see her miss 2 or 3 three point shots and conclude she is in a slump. But, her overall scoring (shooting touch) is remarkably consistent. What is off, a wee bit, is her three point scoring at 17-52 or 32.7%. Last year, she shot 34.3% for the season from three point range. :cool:

One last thing...Stewie has "only" led the team in scoring 6 times in 17 games. MoJeff has done it 4 times, as has Morgan Tuck. KML has been the top scorer 3 times, Kia Nurse once. On a team with that kind of balanced scoring, there is less need for Stewie to score 20+ points every time on floor.

Go Huskies..!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
View attachment 8179

In another thread, another BY poster hypothesized that UConn was playing very well "at a time when Stewie's shooting touch has, at least temporarily, abandoned her"..... I didn't think this was true, or at least I didn't have that impression, so I checked. Here's Stewie's shooting stats from the field & the free throw line over the last 10 games:
1. From the field = 68-129 or 52.7%
2. From the free throw line = 28-34 or 82.4% ;)

But how does that compare to the first few games or the season? :eek:
3. In the first 7 games, Stewie shot 51.2% & 76% from the field and free throws.
4. For the season, Stewie is shooting 52.1% & 79.7% from the field & free throws.

Yeah, but the last 5 games are when the shooting touch has really fallen off...
5. Stewie, in the last 5 games, is 34-61 or 55.7% from the field. :rolleyes:
6. From the free throw line = 8-11 or 72.7%

Bottom line = Stewie scores so easily & in so many different ways, it is easy to see her miss 2 or 3 three point shots and conclude she is in a slump. But, her overall scoring (shooting touch) is remarkably consistent. What is off, a wee bit, is her three point scoring at 17-52 or 32.7%. Last year, she shot 34.3% for the season from three point range. :cool:

One last thing...Stewie has only led the team in scoring 6 times in 17 games. MoJeff has done it 4 times, as has Morgan Tuck. KML has been the top scorer 3 times, Kia Nurse once. On a team with that kind of balanced scoring, there is less need for Stewie to score 20+ points every time on floor.

Go Huskies..!!
Thank you David. I do have to chuckle at some of our Boneyard discussions. We have so little to pick at about our team that we sometimes look for things that may not be there? Thanks for allowing the facts to lead to the truth.

Reaction Score
Thank you David. I do have to chuckle at some of our Boneyard discussions. We have so little to pick at about our team that we sometimes look for things that may not be there? Thanks for allowing the facts to lead to the truth.
When people say that methinks they're thinking about her 3pt shots.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Don't know about the TOUCH, but she still seems to be SEEing the basket well, still has the TASTE for big baskets, can SMELL openings in the paint, and she gets to HEAR the appreciative roar of the crowd as she flips in another two.

Reaction Score
Yes, she's 2 for 11 from 3 point the last four games with three 0-fers. But I think she's always been a streaky 3 point shooter, so she'll probably get hot and go 7 for 10 sometime soon. In the meantime she's finishing as well as she ever has from in close.

Reaction Score
Don't know about the TOUCH, but she still seems to be SEEing the basket well, still has the TASTE for big baskets, can SMELL openings in the paint, and she gets to HEAR the appreciative roar of the crowd as she flips in another two.
That makes a lot of sense. :D

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
When people say that methinks they're thinking about her 3pt shots.

Some guys just cherry pick stats.

Stewart has shot nothing but bricks from outside the arc for most of the last 5 games. A blistering .182 make percentage. Next 5 games she might shoot 60%. However, her 3 pt make percentage is down from last year - possibly because she has "temporarily lost her shooting touch" at least from outside.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't think a trey from Stewie or Morgan is our best shot option. I like Stewie's jump hook from in close and Morgan's drives and spinning post-ups better. In terms of shooting from the arc, we have 3 players shooting about 45%, including the great Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis and the white-hot Moriah Jefferson. I prefer them to shoot from the arc. I ALWAYS like an open shot from Kaleena.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Thought I would take a look at Breanna's three point shooting stats Freshman, Sophomore and Junior year...

1. 2012-13 - 28-84 = .333
2. 2013-14 - 48-140 = .343
3. 2014-15 - 17-52 = .327

I also checked out her shots per game...

1. 2012-13 - 376 = 9.86 shots per game (38 games)
2. 2013-14 - 586 = 14.65 shots per game (40 games)
3. 2014-15 - 213 = 12.53 shots per game (17 games)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Has anyone noticed that whenever Breanna takes a shot and slaps her heels against her butt she misses, but draws a foul?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think the suggestion arises from her jump shots specifically -- certainly not her hook shots from the low post, which have been remarkably accurate and consistent this year. I agree that she is streaky and will probably have a hot streak, which hopefully will include the South Carolina game since it would be wasted until March against anyone else.

As long as she spends most of her time in the paint, teams will have to defend her (usually with double teams) and that means other jump shooters will be open. But I would be somewhat concerned if she has to spend the majority of her offensive time within 5 feet of the basket. That subjects her to a lot of physical play which will be wearing on her (although she has dealt well with it this year, including against Stanford). She needs to spend some time away from the basket, and she can only do that effectively if teams feel that they have to defend her jump shot.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
We may get hung up on Stewie's 7-8 performance in the 2013 FF too much, but the 3 is not really her strong point. Gliding in and dominating the paint is where she is supreme. She does not hang out there and get pounded too much, but flits around and keeps defenses off balance.

She shot 4-21 on 3s last year in the Tournament, and sure there were games last year when she dropped in 4 or 5, but her strong point is the almost unstoppable hook, and why give up those types of attempts for far riskier 3s? Take a few to keep the defenses honest, but I'd start worrying if she got too hot from the outside because it would be taking her away from her strengths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom