Hartford > Gampel | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Hartford > Gampel

Reaction Score
The place that brings the most students is going to be the best place to be. It's quite simple. Student section brings and leads the energy, and coupling that will a small and loud arena makes it easily Storrs...now if the XL would sell out, then we have a different story, but how often does that really happen?

Reaction Score
MSG BE tournament>>>>>> all of ‘em
I personally like hotford. gampel is overrated

Reaction Score
it's so simple. Play the games at XL when kids are on winter break, play the games at Gampel when they're on campus
It is truly deranged that they didn't come to this conclusion years ago. Throw a handful of weekend games in Hartford outside of winter break to keep the non-students from complaining too much, and you're good to go. Playing games on campus during break is psychotic.

Reaction Score
Imagine if the XL Center was a 21st century facility like all the arenas all over the country? A beautiful building would energize the fanbase resulting in better attendance (especially students). Instead we're content with 2 relics but don't worry because Gampel got a new roof..
It is unlikely that the state will spend the money required to turn the XL Center into a modern, state-of-the-art venue. And it's naive to think that some billionaire will come along and spend his money to make it happen.

Reaction Score
IMHO the XL Center should be torn down before it falls down on someone.
It already tried falling on people in '78 but the timing was off. We should've taken that as a sign.
We Didnt Listen GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Gampel vs XL is the most obnoxious pissing match on this board. I hate every one of you same ten people that continue to vomit the same tired arguments every single game.
Lol and yet here you are reading the thread…

Reaction Score
if all games were at Gampel, Season ticket holders would only pay 1 PSL each year rather than 2 today if you have ST at both

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
if all games were at Gampel, Season ticket holders would only pay 1 PSL each year rather than 2 today if you have ST at both
Logic would say the PSL would be 2x no?

Reaction Score
Can someone going to Gampel on Saturday and Hartford on Tuesday bring a decibel meter to both games and report back? UConn could even get in on the fun and hand out Blue and White t-shirts to the louder venue.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Can someone going to Gampel on Saturday and Hartford on Tuesday bring a decibel meter to both games and report back? UConn could even get in on the fun and hand out Blue and White t-shirts to the louder venue.
You'd have to control for opponent and how well we are playing.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Sure I will do it it. I have a killer app for that (NIOSH) because I have to use it for outdoor gigs at times.

However, it's not really a fair comparison. There is little doubt the XL will be rocking Tuesday with a top 7 (at minimum) team in Nova coming in. XL is fine in that environment. Packed house. Problem with XL is that it is a once a year happening. Twice at best. I live an hour from both the XL and Gampel so (actually I think the exact difference between me getting to the two is 57 minutes to XL and 59 to Gampel) so I can take travel out of equation. And I prefer to be in Gampel. By a wide margin.

Maybe we should just play the one or two games a year at XL that the casuals will come out for.

Reaction Score
You'd have to control for opponent and how well we are playing.
Sure I will do it it. I have a killer app for that (NIOSH) because I have to use it for outdoor gigs at times.
Would love to see what you find @August_West . That's what makes this week a great comp @Kathy: two ranked teams, two sold out buildings, three days apart when our team is presumably playing at the same level in the same point of fan interest. Odds are there's slightly more anticipation for playing Nova, but also a better chance we're up/giving reason for the place to be rocking vs. Xavier. Both buildings are going to be full with the potential for maximum loudness/advantage.

We can argue all the other crap until everyone on this board is blue in the face, but it would be fascinating to see something empirical on how the top-end crowd compares in both venues since the anecdotal version always desolves into I was at X when we beat No. 3 Syracuse/Florida/some all-time great game and Y when we struggled against ECU/Coppin State/some directional nobody so clearly X is better!

I'm willing to guarantee that on the other side of the pandemic, with UConn back to consistently ranked, Hartford will be full for every Big East opponent and significant non-conference game (and the same for Storrs) which works out to about 5-6 per venue -- and that's where the crowd environment and homecourt advantage actually come into play. We can play the KemPom 250+ games at a Park 'N Ride in Tolland for all I care.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Would love to see what you find @August_West . That's what makes this week a great comp @Kathy: two ranked teams, two sold out buildings, three days apart when our team is presumably playing at the same level in the same point of fan interest. Odds are there's slightly more anticipation for playing Nova, but also a better chance we're up/giving reason for the place to be rocking vs. Xavier. Both buildings are going to be full with the potential for maximum loudness/advantage.

We can argue all the other crap until everyone on this board is blue in the face, but it would be fascinating to see something empirical on how the top-end crowd compares in both venues since the anecdotal version always desolves into I was at X when we beat No. 3 Syracuse/Florida/some all-time great game and Y when we struggled against ECU/Coppin State/some directional nobody so clearly X is better!

I'm willing to guarantee that on the other side of the pandemic, with UConn back to consistently ranked, Hartford will be full for every Big East opponent and significant non-conference game (and the same for Storrs) which works out to about 5-6 per venue -- and that's where the crowd environment and homecourt advantage actually come into play. We can play the KemPom 250+ games at a Park 'N Ride in Tolland for all I care.
All good points, but Xavier is not ranked

Reaction Score
Just extend the bus route to Storrs. Monorail? Light Rail? Why? Just a dedicated bus only road from Storrs to Manchester. And, run the buses 5 to midnight or something like that twice an hour during peak times.

Reaction Score
No one will be complaining about XL after we beat Nova in front of a crazed full house.
I don’t know what you’re smoking but Gampel is always much noisier than the XL Center, and that’s a plus for the home team and a big negative for the visiting team. Only thing noisier at XL is when the roof beams fall. Lol

Reaction Score
No January 12th games at Gampel (classes started back up January 18th) and no February 22nd games at XL

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom