Harry A. Gampel Pavilion: The House that Basketball Built | The Boneyard

Harry A. Gampel Pavilion: The House that Basketball Built

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
When you look at the ascent of the Uconn Basketball brand, the convergences of steps forward in the late 80s and early 90s, on both the men's and women's sides, was instrumental. The men winning the NIT, the emergence of Kerry Bascom, the men's tun to the Elite 8 in 1990 in dramatic fashion, the women's run to the Final 4 in 1991, and of course the opening of Gampel Pavilion. Clearly UConn Basketball was headed in the right direction, and it didn't take long for such luminaries as Rebecca Lobo and Ray Allen to want to be a part of it.

Reaction Score
I really hoped that the powers that be at UCONN would have some fore-thought and turn Gampel into the Training Center and build a NEW Gampel on the FB field! With 12,000 to 15,000 theater seating, mega concessions, (especially food), large bathrooms, a special student section!
Just a top of the line facility worthy of the best women's and men's BB programs in the USA! Then all HOME games could be on campus and be a real HOME COURT ADVANTAGE! No XL trips to Hartford!
But as UcMiami says above, "probably time to blow it up and start over from scratch"!
The reality is that within the next couple years they're going to have to find a new facility, Gampel is beyond run-down!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
RSH - agree except for the location. I want it still in Storrs, but would love to see it located on the land between campus and the old Mansfield Training center so you would have direct access into the facility from both 195 and 44, or move it down to the intersection of 44 and 32. Still on the campus bus route, walkable from most of campus (195/44 option) and you would cut about 20 minutes off the bumper to bumper local road exits after the games so maybe more folks would stick around. The State owns most of that land and you could even build a new baseball and soccer field and hockey rink - create a whole sports complex with upgrades to what are pretty minimalist current facilities. Use the Gampel land and the old field house property to rebuild and expand the student athletic facilities, indoor track facility, etc.

Reaction Score
A new facilty on campus is overdue. We have seven Gampel games this season (eight with an exhibition). Hartford doesn't allow for student walk-ups and, in my opinion, limits the homecourt advantage that Duke, ND, Stanford, Tenn., and others enjoy at their home games.

Our every home game should have the oportunity to be like last year's SC game, with the student body playing an important role in creating a frenzied environment.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Are you guys willing to help out with the 150+ million dollars it would cost to build a new on-campus arena ?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Are you guys willing to help out with the 150+ million dollars it would cost to build a new on-campus arena ?
Already do every year on April 15, July 15, and Jan 15. :cool: (We have property taxes paid twice a year as well as an income tax)

Reaction Score
UcMiami - - I meant where the training Center is now just switch the sites! It has to be ON CAMPUS!!!!!!

Reaction Score

Already do. Every year I send in my donation towards something at UConn. I always specify women's sports program and building funds. I am sure it is going to good use. I always get a nice card on my birthday thanking me for my contributions :D

Reaction Score
When Shabazz led the men and Dolson led the women to NC's two years ago Dave O'Brien announced on National TV that "Storrs was the capital of the basketball world."

It seems as if The Basketball Capital should have a facility that reflects its elevated position. Money is always a problem, but there should be motivation enough (encouraging a P-5 conference to invite us to their house) to mount a campaign to raise and appropriate the necessary monies.

Football may be king in those big leagues, but honestly how much more impressive has Indiana, Virginia, or Kentucky been on the gridiron over the past few years? When we think of those schools we think of basketball first.

If Uconn continues to upgrade their athletics across the board the Big 10 will find a reason to ask us in (right, those of you who posted elsewhere that our inclusion inevitable?).

If Tenn. and Duke and Stanford (noted basketball powers) can have facilities that allow for every home game to be on campus, then surely a university with 14 golden rings should have one as well.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
When Shabazz led the men and Dolson led the women to NC's two years ago Dave O'Brien announced on National TV that "Storrs was the capital of the basketball world."

It seems as if The Basketball Capital should have a facility that reflects its elevated position. Money is always a problem, but there should be motivation enough (encouraging a P-5 conference to invite us to their house) to mount a campaign to raise and appropriate the necessary monies.

Football may be king in those big leagues, but honestly how much more impressive has Indiana, Virginia, or Kentucky been on the gridiron over the past few years? When we think of those schools we think of basketball first.

If Uconn continues to upgrade their athletics across the board the Big 10 will find a reason to ask us in (right, those of you who posted elsewhere that our inclusion inevitable?).

If Tenn. and Duke and Stanford (noted basketball powers) can have facilities that allow for every home game to be on campus, then surely a university with 14 golden rings should have one as well.

Even lesser schools like Clemson, Illinois, NC State et al are putting millions of dollars into renovating their on campus arenas........ I was amazed to see the renovation of Assembly Hall in Champaign is costing $170 million :eek::eek::eek:

counting-money-2.gif

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Even lesser schools like Clemson, Illinois, NC State et al are putting millions of dollars into renovating their on campus arenas... I was amazed to see the renovation of Assembly Hall in Champaign is costing $170 million :eek::eek::eek:

counting-money-2.gif
The recent renovation of Pauley Pavilion at UCLA was something on that order as well. 'course, that's in LA dollars.

Not sure I would call Illinois a "lesser school." Maybe in terms of its WCBB program. Its men's program remains pretty healthy and the fan support is tremendous.

Reaction Score
Already do every year on April 15, July 15, and Jan 15. :cool: (We have property taxes paid twice a year as well as an income tax)
Do you think state income taxes supports UConn Athletics?

Reaction Score
Do you think state income taxes supports UConn Athletics?

Where do you think they get the money to pay off those bonds that were sold to build UConn to where it is?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
A new facilty on campus is overdue. We have seven Gampel games this season (eight with an exhibition). Hartford doesn't allow for student walk-ups and, in my opinion, limits the homecourt advantage that Duke, ND, Stanford, Tenn., and others enjoy at their home games.

Our every home game should have the oportunity to be like last year's SC game, with the student body playing an important role in creating a frenzied environment.

like that has really hurt UConn Women in the wins column

Reaction Score

2015 Women’s Basketball Home Attendance Team Leaders DIVISION I
Rk School G Attendance Average
1. South Carolina 16 196,684 12,293
2. Tennessee 18 186,754 10,375
3. Louisville 17 161,754 9,515
4. Iowa St. 17 157,916 9,289
5. Notre Dame 20 170,882 8,544
6. UConn 15 123,247 8,216
7. Kentucky 17 108,436 6,379
8. Baylor 19 120,484 6,341
9. Purdue 16 100,458 6,279
10. Michigan St. 16 97,906 6,119

except for games against significant national opponents, the number of UConn students attending women's games at Gampel are far less than for a men's game

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
and who has won the last 3 championships on the womens side?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
what are the ticket prices for those other teams?

Reaction Score
You're certainly right. Maybe it's not so much a greater home court advantage that I'd like us to have, as much as it is an improved atmosphere at home games. I don't look forward to the games at the XL Center; I'd rather they played every game on campus.

But as a client said to me recently after complaining that he didn't have a four car garage, "These are rich man's problems."

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
While I agree that all basketball games, men and women, should be played on campus, it won't happen.

The state is not going to allow UCONN not to play at the XL Center. The revenue from these games helps keep the XL afloat.

The state is not going to fund any basketball, let alone football stadium, on campus. There is no money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom