Harbor Yard puts in Bid for Regional | The Boneyard

Harbor Yard puts in Bid for Regional

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The Connecticut Post reported Friday that Fairfield University is in the process of placing a bid to host a 2013 NCAA Tournament regional at Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport March 30-April 2.

The opening came Monday when the NCAA announced that Trenton, N.J. would not host a regional due to a new New Jersey state law that permits gambling on professional and college sports.

The Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference was to be the Trenton Regional’s host. Fairfield is a member of the MAAC.

“The MAAC, who currently has the hosting rights, has put themselves with us to move ahead with trying to get it to stay with the MAAC,” Fairfield athletic director Gene Doris told the Post.

Bridgeport hosted a regional in 2006 and subregionals in 2004, 2008, and 2012. UConn was placed in Bridgeport each time. Attendance, though, plummeted last March as crowds of just 4,563 and 4,372 came out to watch the Huskies’ wins over Prairie View A&M and Kansas State.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Those howls you are hearing are coming from South... :rolleyes: They may be a bit faint for you guys in the Northeast.... but I can hear them loud and clear here in North Carolina....... the noise has come over the Smoky Mountains and down into the Piedmont :p

Reaction Score
The Connecticut Post reported Friday that Fairfield University is in the process of placing a bid to host a 2013 NCAA Tournament regional at Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport March 30-April 2.

The opening came Monday when the NCAA announced that Trenton, N.J. would not host a regional due to a new New Jersey state law that permits gambling on professional and college sports.

The Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference was to be the Trenton Regional’s host. Fairfield is a member of the MAAC.

“The MAAC, who currently has the hosting rights, has put themselves with us to move ahead with trying to get it to stay with the MAAC,” Fairfield athletic director Gene Doris told the Post.

Bridgeport hosted a regional in 2006 and subregionals in 2004, 2008, and 2012. UConn was placed in Bridgeport each time. Attendance, though, plummeted last March as crowds of just 4,563 and 4,372 came out to watch the Huskies’ wins over Prairie View A&M and Kansas State.

Tony, put me down for two tickets! LOL

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Those howls you are hearing are coming from South... :rolleyes: They may be a bit faint for you guys in the Northeast.... but I can hear them loud and clear here in North Carolina....... the noise has come over the Smoky Mountains and down into the Piedmont :p

To quote many Summitteers over the years:

"BWAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!"

Reaction Score
As if the Carolinas never hosted? On the men's side Duke and UNC never leave home before the FF.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
As if the Carolinas never hosted? On the men's side Duke and UNC never leave home before the FF.

A slight exaggeration..... Greensboro last had a Regional in 1998... and Charlotte in 2008. Opening rounds.... yes. NC has hosted plenty of times, and will continue to host plenty more in the future. Is it North Carolina's fault that we have four cities that are always willing to host.. and have arenas that seat over 14,000? Ive seen this complaint numerous times throughout the years... and well.. since Im a guest... I'll remain civil. :)

And for the record... the howling from the South won't be coming from NC, but further to our west ;)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think I will come to CT for this instead of the Big East this year.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

You couldn't possibly be referring to Knoxville could you? The city that has hosted more NCAA games than any other city in the country?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You couldn't possibly be referring to Knoxville could you? The city that has hosted more NCAA games than any other city in the country?

Wow... i did not know that Knoxville had hosted that many. Do you know the top 5 host cities ?? Surely Greensboro has to be in the top 10-15 of all time.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Top five are:

Knoxville (73)
Norfolk (62)
Austin (53)
Ruston (49)
Los Angeles (49)

Storrs is sixth with 47

I don't know where Greensboro ranks.

(update) the numbers exclude 2012, so add three to Norfolk.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Greensboro has hosted 9 games, the regionals in 1999,2007, and 2008

Storrs will add three in 2013, pulling into fifth pace ahead of LA, but Knoxville will add three as well, so the gap won't close.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Storrs will add three in 2013, pulling into fifth pace ahead of LA, but Knoxville will add three as well, so the gap won't close.

Ok.... I was thinking you meant men's and women's combined. Thanks for the info... I've been at all 9 of the Greensboro games.... I really hope they bid again in the next few years.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score

Oh, no, Phil: the gap, she's a closin' fast!

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Ok.... I was thinking you meant men's and women's combined. Thanks for the info... I've been at all 9 of the Greensboro games.... I really hope they bid again in the next few years.

I sort of wondered if you were thinking combined, but I don't have men's locations at my fingertips

Reaction Score
Do the orange kool-ade drinkers really think it matters where we play Prairie View A&M or KState??? These games promised to be so lopsided that even UConn fans stayed away in droves...

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Do the orange kool-ade drinkers really think it matters where we play Prairie View A&M or KState??? These games promised to be so lopsided that even UConn fans stayed away in droves...
In this case, those games are already slated to be in Storrs next year. The question is whether the Sweet 16 and Elite Eight games will be in Bridgeport too, thus precluding Uconn having to leave the state to make the F4.

For the record, I think Uconn makes the F4 if the four games were played in Siberia and Ulan Bator.

Reaction Score
. . .For the record, I think Uconn makes the F4 if the four games were played in Siberia and Ulan Bator.

I agree, but for the sake of UConn fans it would be best if Bridgeport
or URI hosted.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In this case, those games are already slated to be in Storrs next year. The question is whether the Sweet 16 and Elite Eight games will be in Bridgeport too, thus precluding Uconn having to leave the state to make the F4.

For the record, I think Uconn makes the F4 if the four games were played in Siberia and Ulan Bator.
Huskies perform well in Siberian weather. Geno would be conducting the Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

Ulan Bator would be appropriate too. The Huskies would be the modern day version of the Mongol Horde.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom