Guesses on tickets sales drop... | The Boneyard

Guesses on tickets sales drop...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hello all Uconn Fans from Women's Basketball Team!
I am a grad student from Uconn very much interested in why we have less people going to the women's games than to men's games than we had in 2004, if women's team is such a victorious team. I have my guess and I am preparing a research about that, but I thought that the fans might have an interesting point of view about that! Would you like to share it?
Ah, this is not a research!

Reaction Score
I am a grad student from Uconn very much interested in why we have less people going to the women's games than to men's games than we had in 2004, if women's team is such a victorious team. I have my guess and I am preparing a research about that, but I thought that the fans might have an interesting point of view about that! Would you like to share it?

As much as we enjoyed being at the games I can give you a couple of reasons...

1) Though a season ticket holder for several years, my seats went from fairly good to so-so to poor over a period of 5-6 years, particularly at the XL Center.

2) I'd probably attend some individual games if not for the fact that the great majority of unsold seats are bench seats. (UConn really should do something about that if they want to bring people back. Most of the Gampel seats have a fairly decent view of the court, even the upper level seats, but the bench seats are ridiculously uncomfortable. I don't know the precise breakdown by percentage of bench seats, but I'd guess that there are at least 4000 seats in that category. Given that such a large share of the women's team fan base is older and find the benches very difficult to sit on for 2 hours I've never quite understood why the university doesn't address this if they truly want people to be there.)

3) Parking prices now exceed ticket prices.

4) And let's face it, the view from my family room couch to the 73" HDTV is really good, it's very comfortable, the food is reasonably priced, I can pause the TV if I need a bathroom break and the parking is free.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Add to what Frodo posted -

Lots of fans from the "attendance heydays" are now dead or so old they are no longer able to attend. UConn has done a really piss poor job of replacing them.

Reaction Score
I am a grad student from Uconn very much interested in why we have less people going to the women's games than to men's games than we had in 2004, if women's team is such a victorious team. ...!

It's a poser and you know you're not the first to take it on. I wonder what kind of data access you're going to have?

Offhand, I see some obvious factors, the demographic, that it's a long running show, the state logistics: 4 arenas, the weather, price elasticity, technological impacts(broadcasting), the conference.

I've been trying to gauge viewer interest for the Final Four. I think it should be up based on the publicity. We'll see.

Good luck with it!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Continuing on to VTC's comment

In the classical music business, we lament the increasing age of the attendees
But with UConn BB, the situation is really ridiculous, super-seniors make up a very large proportion of attendees.

One (of several) reasons for that is the nature of the game the woman play.

Very similar to the best available BB (men) of the 50's, 60's and 70's in the years where the game was for the most part below the rim

The Celtics of Cousy, Sharman, Russell, The Knicks of Clyde Frazer, Willis Reed, Dave DeBusschere, Bill Bradley, Dick Barnett
played the attractive game that Geno's teams emulate.

For the most part modern fans are energized only by the one-on-one acrobatics of the present era.

Completely different and in my view, an inferior game.

The old-timers appreciate the opportunity to see the tradition of unselfish, team BB brought forward.

Reaction Score
We have lots of fans here in SE CT but the drive(1+ hours including parking...and the cost),unpredictable weather, and the bench seats for us non-season ticket holders are other reasons. But I LOVE the AAc tourney at Mohegan Sun. Best seats at a inexpensive price point, FREE parking, and an easy drive. Also I can watch the games at home, tucked in with the Hub and pups...and unlimited wine and beer. And Pizza.

Reaction Score
I have had season tickets at Gampel for the women's games starting with the first national championship team. Over the next ten years it seamed that UConn did everything it could to aggravate the season ticket base with the decisions it made. I recall going to the Big East tournaments at Gampel during those years where I would often sit with people who posted on the old AOL women's basketball boards, and man, they would just kill UConn over and over for the stuff UConn would do, from favoring corporate clients over the regular fan in seating assignments, raising ticket prices, and ending the basketball bus shuttle to S Lot down by South Campus. These people had a litany of complaints, and it seemed to them that as long as the basketball games were selling out the UConn administration was not listening to them. Eventually many of these people just had enough, and just stopped coming to games. Part of it was the economic situation of the times, some of it was these people were getting older, but a large part of it to me is that these fans felt ill treated by UConn athletics, and eventually enough was enough for them.

Reaction Score
I agree with every single complaint above. My wife and I are regular contributors to UConn and were season tix holders until the CT snows drove us south for the winters. We do go to games if we're home for them (and to the games at USF, a contrast in welcoming). This year we bought a flex package plus one demo game. The seats available to us through the box office were decent at XL, not so good at Gampel (Benches are hard on my sciatica, and Gampel seatbacks were not available, even to UConn Club members.). Getting to Gampel is no easy task for most Connecticut residents--and the parking there is either costly or challenging for old bones.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

But with UConn BB, the situation is really ridiculous, super-seniors make up a very large proportion of attendees.

Very similar to the best available BB (men) of the 50's, 60's and 70's in the years where the game was for the most part below the rim

The Celtics of Cousy, Sharman, Russell, The Knicks of Clyde Frazer, Willis Reed, Dave DeBusschere, Bill Bradley, Dick Barnett

For the most part modern fans are energized only by the one-on-one acrobatics of the present era.

The old-timers appreciate the opportunity to see the tradition of unselfish, team BB brought forward.
Slightly OT - but related to your post - my wife and I like live entertainment; although I enjoy classical music some, that's not what we attend. But across the board, there seems to be an increasing aging of attendees. And this is across a wide variety - Tucson Symphony pops / special events, "Broadway on Tucson", the Gaslight Theatre (I can't describe it exactly, but outrageous spoofs for regular shows and excellent Monday night cover band / local talent concerts) primarily. My wife and I are in the 55-60 age range, younger than about 75% or more of attendees.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Slightly OT - but related to your post - my wife and I like live entertainment; although I enjoy classical music some, that's not what we attend. But across the board, there seems to be an increasing aging of attendees. And this is across a wide variety - Tucson Symphony pops / special events, "Broadway on Tucson", the Gaslight Theatre (I can't describe it exactly, but outrageous spoofs for regular shows and excellent Monday night cover band / local talent concerts) primarily. My wife and I are in the 55-60 age range, younger than about 75% or more of attendees.

Opera seems to be holding its own; I'm a bit removed from the latest in classical music trends;but the aging base is surely hurting.
And recording, which was a major part of my career in the States and New Zealand is caput.[/QUOTE]

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Marketing
UConn does a poor job of marketing the games to audiences that could attend.
Weekend games and games during school breaks should be packed with kids and families.
They should be actively pursuing ideas like:
• A program to market through the schools with promotions
• "My-school" days which feature individual elementary and middle schools from throughout the state would fill games up, give families a taste and get a new audience accustomed to coming to the games.
• Tie in promotions with lesson plans for schools that use scoring and percentages for math or tell UConn women's BB stories in reading. What makes a basketball bounce for science.
• Promotions to local rec leagues.
Those are just a few ideas for kids and schools. Think through your audiences and create demand and you can fill more games. It's not that hard.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
After reading all of the above responses, it would appear to the casual observer (from afar) that there is some discord in the fan base, with respect to attending games at Gampel. Frodo made some point blank comments on why attendance has been in a steady decline over the past several years. If the administration is serious about supporting the basketball teams, and keeping them in the forefront of Division 1 men's and women's basketball, then some changes are in order.

May I offer a few suggestions: Form a committee that includes 3 current and former season ticket holders, a coach from each team, someone from the admin office, two students and two non-season ticket holders that attend games periodically. This committee would be tasked with:

* Finding out the reasons former season ticket holders and others (students) no longer attend the games. What can be done to bring them back.

* Identify the upgrades that need to be made to bring Gampel up to 2017 (state of the art) standards. It sounds like the entire facility is in serious need of a complete and total makeover inside and out.They should en devour to make sure every seat is a good seat. Every seat should have a back.

* Identifying ALL of the possible detractions (parking fees - shuttle buses - access roads - ticket prices and availability - public transportation - special needs seating, etc.) that can be added, modified, or removed to make getting to and attending a game more pleasurable and convenient. Pre-conference games should be sold out. Have give-a-way nights. Have promotion nights like they do at minor league baseball parks. They know how to get fans to come to the ball park. Where there's a will, there's a way. From what I'm reading, there doesn't appear to be much "will". If necessary, bring in a new marketing team with fresh out-of the-box ideas to jump start this project.

* Exploring all avenues for revamping and reconstructing the entire infrastructure of the basketball program at UConn. What can be done to make experiencing a game at UConn an unforgettable experience?
Send a marketing team to visit other "state of the art" college basketball venues around the country to get some fresh ideas. Figure out ways to get the local kids/ youth groups/basketball leagues (and their parents) to come to the games. Make fans want to come to Gampel again.

* Understanding that every empty seat at a game is a wasted opportunity to share the UConn basketball experience with someone. Figure out a way to sell out the arena for all men's and women's games. People want to come to the games. Figure out a way to get them there. Both teams have a winning tradition. Everybody loves a winner, and loves being in the company of a winner, and everyone loves being part of a winning program. Playing in front of a sold out arena on a regular basis wouldn't hurt recruiting either. So what's the problem?

The administration must be willing to give serious consideration (funding) to the recommendations of the committee. If change is to take place, it starts at the top. Hopefully they are are serious about restoring the excitement and enchantment fans enjoyed at Gampel yesteryear.

Last edited:

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Coach Auriemma's fan rant following Maya Moore's last home game was the tipping point for me. We had gone from season ticket holders to attending 5-6 Gampel games because of most of the reasons others have cited. When he went off on the fans he was obviously clueless about fan displeasure with how they were being treated. I still remember my thought - "screw you coach." We have not been in Gampel since.

Now we go to the tournament at the Sun and we watch the rest of the games on TV. My recliner has yet to piss me off.

Reaction Score
This thread could come verbatim from our best board (which is NOT Baylorfans.com). Though not nearly as much national success as you guys, Kim has consistently grown our attendance based primarily on the intermittent Final Fours/2 titles, and an excitement that our very average men's program does not have. But don't ALL major university women's bball programs depend on senior citizen crowds? Our always has, and within a decade, two things will take our attendance downward: Kim will grow weary of recruiting and hang it up, and our high dollar season ticket holders will all be gone. We can only hope for another cycle of growth and young coaches who can bring a next generation of seniors into the arena for home-based crowd excitement.

Sadly, in order to make our Ferrell Center more bball friendly, where both men and women play seats (10,000) we're downsizing the only building on campus that can hold the really BIG events to a specific bball facility that will seat approximately 7500. We still won't fill it up, but out of jealousy, the men's fans have been gritchin for years that we don't have a "D1 atmosphere" [when in reality they should be gritchin that we don't have a D1 men's program beyond "just average"]

FYI--I've been wanting to make a trip to Gampel some year, but the last three years health has not allowed. All is good to go now. I was in Hartford when we played Griner's soph year preseason. I'd like to make it on up to campus next year and see a game from inside your house. Does this thread indicate I would have any trouble getting a ticket? Our recently announced home and home will be played in Hartford, right? Being old in tooth I can get away from classes for a long weekend any time I let a young gun Teaching Assistant priss and preen and play "show up the old guy". Do the dynamics of available seats change when the Irish come in? That would be my game of choice.

Should I get there I'll buy . . . if anyone will put up with my Texas drawl.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Sadly, in order to make our Ferrell Center more bball friendly, where both men and women play seats (10,000) we're downsizing the only building on campus that can hold the really BIG events to a specific bball facility that will seat approximately 7500. We still won't fill it up, but out of jealousy, the men's fans have been gritchin for years that we don't have a "D1 atmosphere" [when in reality they should be gritchin that we don't have a D1 men's program beyond "just average"]

FYI--I've been wanting to make a trip to Gampel some year, but the last three years health has not allowed. All is good to go now. I was in Hartford when we played Griner's soph year preseason. I'd like to make it on up to campus next year and see a game from inside your house. Does this thread indicate I would have any trouble getting a ticket? Our recently announced home and home will be played in Hartford, right? Being old in tooth I can get away from classes for a long weekend any time I let a young gun Teaching Assistant priss and preen and play "show up the old guy". Do the dynamics of available seats change when the Irish come in? That would be my game of choice.

Should I get there I'll buy . . . if anyone will put up with my Texas drawl.[/QUOTE]

Have no idea if I can get there, but, in the words of the late, great Molly Ivins, I'm "bi-ignorant". Although born in CT, I was reared in KY and spent 5 years in VA. It ain't Texas, but, I think my ear can make the necessary adjustments.

Reaction Score

It's not an "inferior game" because you take a different position. I'm an old timer and view it from both ends as they are completely different games. Unselfish? I see plenty of that in the mens games too maybe you should take a better look, some unbelievable passers. Cousy, Sharman, Russell, Clyde, Pearl and all those named were in a different era and it was great in those days, I agree especially when watching the NBA of today. Different athletes, different era brings a whole new game to the court on the mens end. The women do play better "team" basketball and are able to run more offensive sets due to the fact most teams can't guard them. I've seen plenty of Notre Dame/UConn games where both teams have had to settle for one on one basketball, lower scoring basketball because they were both equals on the court and made life tough for each other. It did get sloppy and looked like you would believe the mens game is for that reason alone. This is the major difference, competition.

Other than that they are both fun to watch in their own way, neither should ever be termed "inferior" in their gamers, that's ridiculous.

Anyway go win another one Sunday/Tuesday I will be watching and rooting for them for sure.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
It's not an "inferior game" because you take a different position. I'm an old timer and view it from both ends as they are completely different games. ...

You certainly don't look like an old-timer...:)

I said "Completely different and in my view, an inferior game..."

I couched it as my opinion, not necessarily dogma,
Left a lotta room for people to disagree
Just saying.....

Reaction Score
OK, I''ll chime in. I agree with most, if not all that has been written here.
My wife and I have season tickets for both men and women at XL center. we had tickets for Gamble one year but probably will not do it again. Fighting rush hour traffic through Hartford is not something I will do willingly. The traffic and parking in Storrs are not fan friendly.
As has been written, we need more weekend games. As Geno has said, the weekend games [or games on nights with no school the next day] seem much better attended. I can't understand why we don't do more of that. If you want to begin to draw younger people, that's one way to do it.
In attempt to respond to criticism of games in Hartford, UCONN seems to have dumbed down the XL schedule. Having multiple games against no name opponents during winter break and then no games during February [and only one men's game] is pretty anti fan.
Would be interesting to see our attendance trend vs attendance at college sporting events nationally. The tv/armchair watching issue seems to be affecting attendance nationally in many sports. The men's teams used to sell out the then Civic Center but no longer do as well.
There needs to be more effort in drawing UCONN students. I think their lack of attendance at both Storrs and Hartford is deplorable.
Lastly, to me the teamwork of the women is most enjoyable. I'm long past the time when I enjoy play above the rim all focused on ultimately improving ones chances to go pro. We take our 7,8 and 9 year old grandsons to the games. They have come to appreciate the women's games as well. I don't think there is any reduced price tickets for kids. Perhaps there should be to draw more kids.
Thanks for the opportunity to vent.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
To help out - we had season tickets to the XL for several years and stopped at the end of last year (2014 - 2015). 2 reasons - the opponents were not marque type games and we got screwed with the XL Center "renovations" and they had "to move" some season ticket holders. We went from 2 rows from the court - almost center court - to the floor with seats behind the pep band. And there were people who had seats next to us that had never had seson tickets before and did not donate to the university.

Needless to say, our questions into why we got such crappy seats were never answered by the athletic department.

So now we go when we see an ooponent that's good and we get seats by other means. Otherwise, SNY does a great job of broadcasting the games and my recliner is more comfortable.

We never went for season tickets at Gampel - too far to drive from Farifield county (we're almost on the CT/ NY boarder) and those bench seats are killers.

Reaction Score
You certainly don't look like an old-timer...:)

I said "Completely different and in my view, an inferior game..."

I couched it as my opinion, not necessarily dogma,
Left a lotta room for people to disagree
Just saying.....

Fair enough, but using inferior is just not at all related to either game even with differing opinions. As you said, open nonetheless so to each his/her own. All good.

Reaction Score
I agree with much of what has been reported above. However, greed has destroyed much in our country, and unfortunately, it's destroying the relationship of UConn basketball fans and administration. I'd prefer to go back to CPTV's coverage of games if it meant less greedy charges to fans. I had season's tickets for years, before UConn even sold season's tickets (when Gampel first opened). In those days, we fans waited in line to get into "First Night" games (which took place during the day and didn't cater to the students, but to all fans). We got to know each other standing in line, talking to anyone who knew anything about "OUR" girls. One year, we arrived so early to get in line for good seats (first come, first served) that pizza was delivered to the fans who were in line (We were told it was ordered for us by Geno himself!). We were like a big family of fans. Then one year, we arrived as usual and entered the building when the doors were opened, but suddenly we were told we couldn't sit in certain sections because they were reserved for the families of CPTV members. That was the beginning of the end for me. I used to bring large number 3s on paper to hand out to fans in my section so we could hold them up as a whole fan-team when a UConn player scored a 3-pointer. I paid the expense of printing these and personally handed them out to hundreds of fans. I was called out for this eventually and told I couldn't hand them out anymore because they weren't authorized (There was no writing or advertising on these papers. Just a united effort for all of us to show our support by holding up the number three.). This, to me, was a wonderful time for supporting UConn. I know times have changed, but this is why I no longer spend my money or time attending games in person. Treatment of REAL fans suffered, and seat assignments got worse. It bothers me so much to see empty seats in the lower levels. It's no longer a pleasure to attend. I miss it, but it will never be the same.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Since Kibs has not done so, let me chime in for the grammar police. We do not have "less fans" but "fewer fans". "Less" is for things that cannot be counted , e.g. less money but fewer coins, less interest but fewer interested people. A rule that is frequently abused but has not been abolished and which always grates on me when i see it ignored. :)

Reaction Score
I see we had a great discussion! Thank you all! In many aspects we have the phenomena characterized here! Feel free to add more ideas at any time!

Just to answer some people about the attendance in other universities, I have been looking at that and the same tendencies seem to repeat in other teams like Tennessee; Notre Dame, and South Carolina. Men's BB sells more tickets than Women's BB teams for home games.

Just another comment: In 2004 when Uconn won both championships the tickets sales for home games were the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom