GS Fumble in 1st Half… | The Boneyard

GS Fumble in 1st Half…

Reaction Score
Yes, we lost game for all kinds of reasons that had nothing to do with calls but since that topic has been well covered - I raise this one…

In the history of fumbles, there has never been an easier call to make than when Jackson Mitchell forced that fumble in the first half when we still had a chance in this game.

Ball pops out and we run for an easy TD… End of story… right.. Well, no… Down by Contact? Really? What contact, the GS player having ball hit out of hands? He was nowhere near being down - not by a mile… Announcers got awful quiet before it took call from above to have the refs review on tape…

Interesting they let a play go next series or two where it was clear that Fagnano lost ball due to contact on ground. Suddenly announcers were deep into analyzing whether there were sufficient camera angles to justify overturning the call, LOL. While not a a word about the atrocious call on Jackson Mitchell play..

Bad calls get made live with it. I get it. But if you showed this clip to 1000 people my guess not one would claim that the player was down by contact w/ ground.

Life as an Independent is getting old.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
When Jones picked up it he was down but maybe he just scoops and scores if they don’t whistle him down? If there was one (non)call that changed the whole trajectory of the game it was the missed targeting when the GSU guy launched himself directly into Rosa’s helmet on our second or third drive. Maybe the drive we missed a FG? It was textbook and they missed it. Maybe Rosa needed to lay there and get carted off to sell the call

Reaction Score
Our knee was down when we recovered the ball. Doesn’t make a difference
Fair point… I did not look at where our player knee was - was shocked at the call and appreciate that info.

Reaction Score
When Jones picked up it he was down but maybe he just scoops and scores if they don’t whistle him down? If there was one (non)call that changed the whole trajectory of the game it was the missed targeting when the GSU guy launched himself directly into Rosa’s helmet on our second or third drive. Maybe the drive we missed a FG? It was textbook and they missed it. Maybe Rosa needed to lay there and get carted off to sell the call
It is not just one call but the general feeling that we are always facing these strange calls, game after game. It is something we just need to learn to live with until we need to get into a conference - hopefully sooner than later.

Reaction Score
Yes, we lost game for all kinds of reasons that had nothing to do with calls but since that topic has been well covered - I raise this one…

In the history of fumbles, there has never been an easier call to make than when Jackson Mitchell forced that fumble in the first half when we still had a chance in this game.

Ball pops out and we run for an easy TD… End of story… right.. Well, no… Down by Contact? Really? What contact, the GS player having ball hit out of hands? He was nowhere near being down - not by a mile… Announcers got awful quiet before it took call from above to have the refs review on tape…

Interesting they let a play go next series or two where it was clear that Fagnano lost ball due to contact on ground. Suddenly announcers were deep into analyzing whether there were sufficient camera angles to justify overturning the call, LOL. While not a a word about the atrocious call on Jackson Mitchell play..

Bad calls get made live with it. I get it. But if you showed this clip to 1000 people my guess not one would claim that the player was down by contact w/ ground.

Life as an Independent is getting old.
I was at the game last night and the referees were horrible. They blew two very obvious fumble calls. I don't know what the replay official was during but it seem like it took forever for both calls to get the plays reviewed. They missed the Georgia State cornerback mugging Porter on a sideline pass. They also missed a hold on Mitchell on one of Georgia State big runs. In the first two games Uconn has been called for more than 120 yards in penalties and our opponents something like 15 yards. That is a lot to overcome for this team.

Reaction Score
I was at the game last night and the referees were horrible. They blew two very obvious fumble calls. I don't know what the replay official was during but it seem like it took forever for both calls to get the plays reviewed. They missed the Georgia State cornerback mugging Porter on a sideline pass. They also missed a hold on Mitchell on one of Georgia State big runs. In the first two games Uconn has been called for more than 120 yards in penalties and our opponents something like 15 yards. That is a lot to overcome for this team.
Yeah it’s hard to know where to start with these calls.

I saw a couple obvious blocks in the back as well.

What amazes me is not only how bad some of the calls / missed calls are but the lack of any “Oh dang we got call wrong” when they confer. Instead they look like they don’t have a care in the world. And, it takes a replay official to reverse the call? Are you kidding me?

It is such a pattern that it must have to do w/ lack of conference affiliation and lack of respect from crews that are hired to officiate the games. Announcers are right in on it - not a care about anything happening on field. From fan perspective last night was new low point on many fronts.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
We just take too many threes and don’t attack the rim.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I’m not going to complain about penalties in this one. There wasn’t enough there to help or prevent us from winning with that putrid performance. They are who they are and help from the refs won’t change that.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I agree that it's not the calls that are killing us, but it is SO easy to make a call that goes against UConn... No conference office to deal with, no massive fan base to tick off... we'll be lucky to get 30% on 50/50 calls.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Our knee was down when we recovered the ball. Doesn’t make a difference
I will say if you recover a fumble and have a clear line to the goal, run it in. Force the refs to make a call.

Reaction Score
If you watch any of these games subjectively, you will see the bad calls are everywhere on both sides. Watch a game with two teams you don't care about and pay attention to the refs. They are bad. When calls go against your team, it feels like a bias but really they just miss alot of calls. You just have to accept the refs are part of the game - like a gust of wind that comes up just as you kick a field goal.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
If you watch any of these games subjectively, you will see the bad calls are everywhere on both sides. Watch a game with two teams you don't care about and pay attention to the refs. They are bad. When calls go against your team, it feels like a bias but really they just miss alot of calls. You just have to accept the refs are part of the game - like a gust of wind that comes up just as you kick a field goal.
No....that is a Sun Belt wind. Totally biased against independents.

Reaction Score
I agree that it's not the calls that are killing us, but it is SO easy to make a call that goes against UConn... No conference office to deal with, no massive fan base to tick off... we'll be lucky to get 30% on 50/50 calls.
I think there must be something like this going on as the pattern is clear.

No one is saying that the refs cost us the game. But at critical times in both games, calls without rhyme or reason. Any it isn’t both ways - NC STate as 6 -1 and GS was heavily the other way too. We’ve got to get into a Conference soon.

Reaction Score
I would think that the refs would want to move up to the big leagues as they get paid more and it is a lot more high profile to ref the SEC or BIG10, so it would be stupid of them to rack up a bunch of bad calls on tape because you work for Georgia State's Conference in a game against UConn.

Reaction Score
The penalty disparity is the frustrating thing. Missed holding calls have been particularly harmful.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I would think that the refs would want to move up to the big leagues as they get paid more and it is a lot more high profile to ref the SEC or BIG10, so it would be stupid of them to rack up a bunch of bad calls on tape because you work for Georgia State's Conference in a game against UConn.
Maybe... or maybe if the sun belt head of officials tells the sec that a guy graded out well, the sec will skip watching his UConn film...

Reaction Score
It definitely wasn't the refs that lost us the game, it was the horrible play and coaching all around.
Since that has never been raised as a reason, think it as covered IMO

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom