greatest uconn women's player not to win a national title? | The Boneyard

greatest uconn women's player not to win a national title?

Reaction Score
I'm going to go with Bascom. Although Dangerfield could be a close second, with the asterisk that unfortunately she did not have an opportunity to compete for one in her senior year.

It is rather shocking to me that none of Collier, Samuelson, Nurse and Williams won a national championship here as an upperclassmen.

But if Paige were to depart without one, I would think of it as something comparable to Steve Nash and the Phoenix Suns.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I would think it has to be Bascom. What is amazing is that you have to go back to a the recruiting class of 1987 (grad 1991) to select a player. The 1991 recruiting class had Lobo and every class thereafter had a NC if they stayed four years until the class of 2016 and Dangerfield.

Reaction Score
I would think it has to be Bascom. What is amazing is that you have to go back to a the recruiting class of 1987 (grad 1991) to select a player. The 1991 recruiting class had Lobo and every class thereafter had a NC if they stayed four years until the class of 2016 and Dangerfield.
The 2004 class (Charde Houston, Ketia Swanier and Mel Thomas) failed to win the big one.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I would agree with Bascom. But Charde Houston was certainly an extremely talented player that never reached her potential or got a NC. Too bad Dangerfield never got a ring either.

Reaction Score
It would be an oversight not to mention Wendy Davis. She should also be included on the list of former UConn players who became coaches. (I believe there was a thread on this topic recently.)

Reaction Score
I can think of several great UConn players, who played for Geno during the Candace Parker years at Tennessee. 1996 to 1999 they were either 2 or 3 in the Final poll. Those years made for some terrific games but they always came up just short at the buzzer.

Reaction Score
Bascom by a mile until we see if Paige and Azzi wind up with one. She is the only "great" player to not have one. She was the first All American if I remember correctly. Until the recent post Breanna slump, I believe that after Lobo's class, there were only two recruiting classes that did not experience at least one championship.

Reaction Score
Bascom played just before I started following the women, I know for long time she held UConn scoring record. Is anyone who saw her play able to describe how good she was, what were her strengths? What was UConn's best team when she played, did she have pretty good teammates, how did they do in the tournament? Thanks

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Meghan Pattyson. Just kidding, I never saw her play. But she might be the most visible.

Reaction Score
The 2004 class (Charde Houston, Ketia Swanier and Mel Thomas) failed to win the big one.
Charde or Ketia were nice kids. Charde had game fundamental issues, (probably learned pre High School) Swanier, was (I believe) an Army kid, but not in Maya's category. Mel Too was pretty good at throwing up 3's but still no KML or Stewie.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
1995 class as well. Lost in Final Four in 96, Elite 8 in 97/98, Sweet 16 in 99

Reaction Score
Bascom played just before I started following the women, I know for long time she held UConn scoring record. Is anyone who saw her play able to describe how good she was, what were her strengths? What was UConn's best team when she played, did she have pretty good teammates, how did they do in the tournament? Thanks
Think Morrow of DePaul. With a great 3pt range.

Reaction Score
Bascom is considered one of Connecticut's greatest ever. The only players who might rank above her won multiple championships (Taurasi, Moore, Stewart).

Reaction Score
I assume Paige and Azzi don't count....

Have to throw Crystal Dangerfield and Christyn Williams into the mix. Maybe even Megan Walker. Also Mel Thomas & Charde Houston.

But yeah, Bascom is probably the right answer here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom