Greatest Starting 5 of All Time | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Greatest Starting 5 of All Time

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Yeah if you don’t know who Rick Mount is. LOL.
Serious question: did Mount turn out to be that good?
I always thought of him as the forgotten one of the 3 Sports Illustrated high school cover boys, lesser than Maravich and Calvin Murphy, and then an ABA guy who wouldn't have been a big deal in NBA.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Bump keep voting for the good guys

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
God college version of okafor vs Shaq is like my ultimate dream matchup.

Probably my favorite Uconn player vs my favorite non-Uconn player of all time.

Reaction Score
Florida just took out Duke 52% - 48% on 26k votes. With less than 24 hours left, UConn - LSU matchup only has 13k votes.

Looking ahead, UConn much better team than Florida, but looks like Florida got out the votes/bots.

Reaction Score
I guess but UConn made Shaq look pedestrian when they actually played.

Just voted it's 50/50 right now. Posting to bump the thread.
It should be starting 5 plus coach. I voted for UConn, and if we had JC on the sideline I think we'd win.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
upload_2018-8-2_13-27-19.png

Need to keep it going. Vote, if you haven't yet.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
love the uconn lineup, but i don't like college shaq as a match-up (for anyone, really... )

on a side note, ben simmons doesn't make lsu's all-time top 5?

Reaction Score
Bump......Can we get a "Go Vote for UConn:" beginning the thread title......Going to need a strong push to the end to maintain that lead!

pj

Reaction Score

LSU is a three-player team. We beat Shaquille in real life, and Kemba's defense would play havoc with Pistol Pete. Pettit was great but the game is a lot more athletic today. Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf played half his career in Europe and the high point of his NBA career was an invitation to the slam dunk contest. Rudy Macklin played two years in the NBA averaging 6.5 points and 3 rebounds before washing out. On the court I like our chances.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
LSU is a two-player team. We beat Shaquille in real life, and Kemba's defense would play havoc with Pistol Pete. Pettit was great for his time but the game is a lot more athletic today. On the court I like our chances.
This is silly. We obviously accomplished more in college with the championships but in terms of impact on basketball they blow us out of the water. We have one all-time player in Ray, they have three.

As for Petit, he's probably the most underrated player in the history of basketball. Only played 11 seasons then went on to try and make more money in the business world, all-star 10 of those seasons, 4x all-star game MVP, 2 time league MVP, career averages of 26.5 ppg 16.2 rbs. Petit was a contemporary of Russell and Wilt. You ask Russell his top handful of players of all-time and Petit is one of them.

Also, I read the names on the jersey wrong in a previous post, they do have Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf on the roster, it's certainly not a 3 man team. Abdul-Rauf would have been Steph Curry like in today's game.

Reaction Score
Bump.Can we get a "Go Vote for UConn:" beginning the thread title.Going to need a strong push to the end to maintain that lead!

Now would be a good time for the @uconnhuskies and @UConnMBB twitter accounts to tweet out one more time for any last minute votes. If it gets back to 50/50, they ain't advancing.

pj

Reaction Score
Abdul-Rauf would have been Steph Curry like in today's game.

He had career totals of 8553 points, 1087 rebounds, 2079 assists, 963 turnovers. Career 3 pt % 35.4%.

Kemba Walker is just getting started and has 9907 points, 1955 rebounds, 2824 assists, 1106 turnovers. 3 pt % 35.8%. By the time Kemba is done, he'll have triple Abdul-Rauf's rebounds, quadruple his assists, maybe triple his points too. And the better 3 pt shooting percentage.

Reaction Score
He had career totals of 8553 points, 1087 rebounds, 2079 assists, 963 turnovers. Career 3 pt % 35.4%.

Kemba Walker is just getting started and has 9907 points, 1955 rebounds, 2824 assists, 1106 turnovers. 3 pt % 35.8%. By the time Kemba is done, he'll have triple Abdul-Rauf's rebounds, quadruple his assists, maybe triple his points too. And the better 3 pt shooting percentage.
He was blackballed from the NBA, and the league was entirely different than today. With today's freedom of movement and his quick release he could've been Curry like in the right situation. The league deprived him of the prime of his career because of his beliefs. Kemba is not a good comparison, different type of players. Kemba will have the better career, I also didn't say anything comparing Abdul-Rauf and Kemba.

I would love to hear which UConn players you think were better than Bob Petit?

Reaction Score

Look at his college numbers this is college not nba

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Rut Roh....
Down to 51%
upload_2018-8-2_17-17-39.png

Vote, if you haven't yet.

Reaction Score
I think it's supposed to encompass everything, how they did in college and overall impact on the game of basketball. It's a silly exercise but anything that gets us talking about past greats and I'm in.

pj

Reaction Score

Great college stats, true. But only one ball you can't take it away from Maravich.

He was blackballed from the NBA, and the league was entirely different than today. With today's freedom of movement and his quick release he could've been Curry like in the right situation. The league deprived him of the prime of his career because of his beliefs. Kemba is not a good comparison, different type of players. Kemba will have the better career, I also didn't say anything comparing Abdul-Rauf and Kemba.

I would love to hear which UConn players you think were better than Bob Petit?

I'll grant you Pettit, I overlooked him because he was before my time. The other players I saw play. Abdul-Rauf, blackballed from the NBA for his beliefs? LOL. He entered the NBA 25 years after Muhammad Ali converted to Islam. Nobody was blackballing athletes for that in the 1990s. He entered the NBA in 1990, his career was declining by 1996 and he only played in 41 games after 1997-98.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He entered the NBA 25 years after Muhammad Ali converted to Islam. Nobody was blackballing athletes for that in the 1990s
Didn't it have something to do with his refusal to stand/participate in the anthem?

Not to make this a Cesspool thread, but...

Reaction Score
Great college stats, true. But only one ball you can't take it away from Maravich.

I'll grant you Pettit, I overlooked him because he was before my time. The other players I saw play. Abdul-Rauf, blackballed from the NBA for his beliefs? LOL. He entered the NBA 25 years after Muhammad Ali converted to Islam. Nobody was blackballing athletes for that in the 1990s. He entered the NBA in 1990, his career was declining by 1996 and he only played in 41 games after 1997-98.
It's well known he was blackballed, once he stopped standing for the anthem his career was over. You should look it up, everyone knows what happened to him but Abdul-Rauf holds no ill will.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Vote people we have fallen slightly behind.

Reaction Score
It's well known he was blackballed, once he stopped standing for the anthem his career was over. You should look it up, everyone knows what happened to him but Abdul-Rauf holds no ill will.
Maybe. But he went from 4 years where he averaged, 19, 18, 16, 19.2ppg on a mediocre at best Denver team down to 13.7 for Sacramento in his last full season. And his assists fell off a cliff from 4.2, 4.5, 3.6, 6.8apg to 2.5 assists per game playing with Sacto & Mitch Richmond.

Next in his final only 31 games in 1997-98 he averaged 7.3ppg, shot just 37.7% from field and 16% from 3. I LOVED him in college, but even at his apex his game never elevated at the NBA level. He was never a significant factor for a contending team. Basically he put up OK volume scoring stats in Denver, good player never great in NBA and nothing approaching the superstardom he displayed in college.

The drop-offs above coincided with his anthem protests and certainly the league moved on, but notwithstanding Kaepernick, sports is a meritocracy and he was absolutely declining and simply not good enough to put up with as a distraction regardless of your politics.

My personal opinion is he didn't work hard enough in the NBA from the get-go, which is fine it wasn't that important to him. Then other things became even more important to him and his game declined to marginal NBA talent. He probably could have stuck around the league longer even with that, but he was never in the right situation and then his politics made it even harder for him to find the right situation.

Reactions: pj

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom