OT: - Greatest BB Team of All Time - 1985-86 Celtics | The Boneyard

OT: Greatest BB Team of All Time - 1985-86 Celtics

Reaction Score
How about the !966-67 Philadelphia 76ers, 68-13 and World Champions. Maybe the 1971-72 LA Lakers, 69-13 and World Champions. Did I mention 33 straight wins.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
They were certainly the greatest BB team of all time for that year.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I’m going with the 07/08 Celtics.

That team could’ve won 75 games if it wanted to.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
How about the !966-67 Philadelphia 76ers, 68-13 and World Champions. Maybe the 1971-72 LA Lakers, 69-13 and World Champions. Did I mention 33 straight wins.
95-96 Chicago Bulls. Big three Michael Jordan, Scotty Pippen and Dennis Rodman.
Season Record: 72-10

Postseason Record: 15-3

Achievements: Second most number of wins in a regular season, First NBA team to win 70 games in the regular season, started 37-0 at home, Recorded a 44-game winning streak, Second most number of road wins (33), Only team to win 70 games in a season and win the championship, Eastern Conference champions, Defeated the Seattle Supersonics 4-2 in the NBA Finals,

Reaction Score
The Warriors number 1.

I'd say the Celts of 85-86 either 2 or 3 and the Bulls 95-96 either 2 or 3.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
These lists are just a reminder of how great the NBA was in the 80s in the 90s.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
1971 nba champions, ahem;
'In winning the World Championship in only their third season, the Bucks went further, faster, than any expansion team in the history of major professional sports.'
'The Bucks dispatched San Francisco and Los Angeles in five games and blasted Baltimore in four straight for the NBA Championship, marking only the second time in league history that the title series ended in a sweep.'
'From Feb. 6-March 8, 1971, the Bucks won 20 straight games, an NBA record (since broken)'
'In the first season of the NBA’s four-division alignment, the Bucks ran away with the Midwest division, setting an NBA record (since broken) of 66 wins. The Bucks also set NBA records for home wins (34), road wins (28), field goal percentage (.509), field goals made (3,972) and assists (2,249).'

and so on, and so on, including a 50 point playoff win.
kareem put up like 32 and 16 during the season, and Mr Triple Double, Oscar, chipped in mightily. they absolutely shredded everyone, including then recent 'names' like the lakers, knicks, and anyone else unlucky enuf to set foot on the court.
averaged 118 ppg without the 3 ball. 118!
six future hof'ers played in the finals. 3 on each side.

and, oh, disallowed by rule from being on the varsity, freshman kareem led his team to a blowout victory over the two-time defending national champs varsity at the inaugural game for pauley. not around to see any of this, but u tube is our friend. no wonder that they changed the rules of cbb bcuz of this guy. they were all very, very, afraid of him. noice.
the only six time nba mvp. yeah, this team is my vote for best ever.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My mistake. It should have been 1967. My answer is an opinion like everyone else. Thirty-three games in a row is massive. There were fewer teams then, and the centers were so much better. The two facts tying the 76ers and Lakers is Wilt Chamberlain was the center on both teams. The elite centers were: Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Willis Reed, Wes Unseld, Dave Cowens, Bob Lanier, Nate Thurmond, and Elvin Hayes.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
That Celtic team WAS a good one! During that era, I saw many of their games in Boston and Hartford.
I believe that one player who was not given enough credit during time was Danny Ainge. He was a point guard, a shooting guard, and in most games he was the only player who would guard his man full court, as his other 4 team members dropped back on defense.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
on a separate, but connected note, well, it speaks for itself as a commentary on 'pro' athletes of the past say, decades. im sure that plenty? most? all? on this leaderboard had injuries that today would demand immediate surgery/mri's/ newsconferences, etc, but they played. strong like bull. i guess 'here, have a kleenex, take a couple of days/weeks/months off' is the 21st century mantra.
NBA & ABA Single Season Leaders and Records for Minutes Per Game | Basketball-Reference.com

Reaction Score
My mistake. It should have been 1967. My answer is an opinion like everyone else. Thirty-three games in a row is massive. There were fewer teams then, and the centers were so much better. The two facts tying the 76ers and Lakers is Wilt Chamberlain was the center on both teams. The elite centers were: Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Willis Reed, Wes Unseld, Dave Cowens, Bob Lanier, Nate Thurmond, and Elvin Hayes.
No Bill Russell?

Reaction Score
Great Championship in 1967. Some of the most intriguing players that few talk about. Billy Cunningham was an unstoppable small forward for the 76ers. At 6'5", he averaged over 20 pts and 12 rebounds, getting 27 one game. Later on, coached the 76ers and reached 300 and 400 wins faster than anyone in history. Once he won the NBA Championship, he quit and have not heard about him since.
Rick Barry player for the Warriors and was a neighbor of mine in Colorado Springs. Great stories. Great player.
All that being said, while I grew up in Phila. and would watch 10+ 76er games in person a year, several of the Bill Russell Celtic teams would be on top of my list. Must be an age thing.

Reaction Score
Great Championship in 1967. Some of the most intriguing players that few talk about. Billy Cunningham was an unstoppable small forward for the 76ers. At 6'5", he averaged over 20 pts and 12 rebounds, getting 27 one game. Later on, coached the 76ers and reached 300 and 400 wins faster than anyone in history. Once he won the NBA Championship, he quit and have not heard about him since.
Rick Barry player for the Warriors and was a neighbor of mine in Colorado Springs. Great stories. Great player.
All that being said, while I grew up in Phila. and would watch 10+ 76er games in person a year, several of the Bill Russell Celtic teams would be on top of my list. Must be an age thing.

He was an NBA Color Commentator for a few years after he won title as a coach. One year before being the coach too.

And he was a minority owner for the Miami Heat for a while.

Reaction Score
Have a best of 7 series on what if sports and find out.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
I wasn't alive in the 70s. Does anyone know why NBA guys never talk about the 70s? Seemed like traditional powers like the Lakers, Celtics, and Sixers were in decline and rose up a bunch of unfamiliar faces that nobody wanted to watch anymore. Don't hear anyone talk about the championships that the Sonics, Warriors, or Trailblazers won in the 70s. Add the rise in drug use and the disco culture at the time gave NBA a bad look?

I was 5 when Bird won that epic series vs the Lakers in '84, and I was a Bird and Celtics fan first. Just wondering because after Jordan retired, the NBA was full of those strange, unfamiliar new faces and it didn't feel the same anymore. I liked O'Neal, but I preferred him in Orlando and this Kobe Bryant dude seemed like a Jordan copycat. Kinda fell asleep from the NBA ever since 1998. I watched it, liked a few teams but I was never able to regain the type of interest I had during the 15 year stretch from the peak of Bird thru Jordan. (84-98)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom