OT: - great voices | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: great voices

Reaction Score
I so appreciate it ... what a shame to lose someone so talented at such a young age
I actually heard a very similar rendition from her but it's a little more powerful .... I'm thinking she might have been really feeling the lyrics of the song and pondering her battle with cancer which eventually took her life

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I think of Gary Puckett and the Union Gap along with Jay and the Americans and the Vogues. Here's my favorite of theirs:

I know I am showing myself as the old man that I am, but I saw Gary Pucket and the Vogues as part of the "Happy Together" tour last year. Both sounded amazing. Other than feeling ancient as I saw my fellow concert goers, it was a fun night. From what I hear, Little Anthony, who is a new addition this year, is great as well. (Is "new addition" redundant?)

Reaction Score
My brother turned me on to Eva Cassidy and her version of this song .... became the number one song in England years after her death at the age of 33 from cancer when it was introduced to a local London DJ who decided to give it some air time based on a recommendation by a friend .... I tried to drop it here to play but couldn't ... her version of "Over The Rainbow" is simply magical and bewitching ... maybe someone could do it for me ... THANKS
I was alerted to Eva Cassidy by a friend and now I have every CD of hers that has been released!
She never was aware of her success as it all came about after her passing at that too early age of 33 as noted above!
While she was alive producers didn't know what to do with her as she sang every type of song, Rock, Jazz, R&B, Gospel, etc.
Her parents and friends have carried on her legacy through her website, evacassidy.org and through word of mouth!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Another technically challenged old guy (me), but Jay Black of Jay and the Americans had my favorite voice of all time - "Come a little bit closer," "Cara Mia," "Some Enchanted Evening," the list goes on and on. And the lead singer from the Vogues was no slouch, either.
Saw him at a revival show at Oakdale years after his popularity. Still was great. A few others in that show were Garry Lewis and the Playboys and Mark Lindsay from Paul Revere and the Raiders.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
How about a UConn connection. Judy Collins lived in Willi with her then husband and father of I think her only child, UConn English prof Peter Taylor who I had for a course, I think after their divorce.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
And a Connecticut guy, Gene Pitney. Couple my wife, RIP, and traveled with graduated Rockville High with Pitney. Say he was a good guy and a good student. He remained popular in Europe long after he faded in the US. I think he always maintained a home in CT.

Reaction Score
I've always enjoyed Annie Lennox but WHY is easily my favorite song of hers

Reaction Score
Saw David Pittsinger in South Pacific several years ago at Ivoryton Playhouse. Remarkable performance - better than Ezio Pinsa. Good news: He's currently in Sound of Musics at Ivoryton....still remarkable as Captain Von Trapp.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Saw David Pittsinger in South Pacific several years ago at Ivoryton Playhouse. Remarkable performance - better than Ezio Pinsa. Good news: He's currently in Sound of Musics at Ivoryton....still remarkable as Captain Von Trapp.

You know you are old when someone mentions Ezio Pinsa and you don’t need to Google.

Reaction Score
And a Connecticut guy, Gene Pitney. Couple my wife, RIP, and traveled with graduated Rockville High with Pitney. Say he was a good guy and a good student. He remained popular in Europe long after he faded in the US. I think he always maintained a home in CT.

Sorry for your loss CZ.

Reaction Score
I'm with ya! I posted Jay Black back on #23.
I never noticed the similarities between Jay and the Vogues until I went looking to find this one to post.
5 O'Clock World from The Vogues

Sorry, I missed your #23. There is a video you can google that has both that original version "Cara Mia" (my favorite of theirs) with one done 15 years ago or so when he was about 70-something and he still sounded great. He could still hit all the high notes and at one point in the song he joins the chorus and drags out the work "die" for about 30 seconds. RIP, Jay. Gone in October, 2021 at the age of 83. Small wonder his nickname was "The Voice."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom