Great Atmosphere Tonight | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Great Atmosphere Tonight

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
The crowd wanted to be in it so bad. Every time we had a big chance the team messed it up.

They couldn't finish a great defense stop with a basket or vice versa.

Almost seemed like our team was more rattled by the crowd than PC.

Said it many times before. They need to bring in a psychologist or something. I've never seen a team have this many mental boogymen.

We missed way too many WIDE OPEN shots.

I sensed this as well... team was tight and instead of using the crowd to their benefit, they did not get up for it.

Providence on the other hand fed off quieting the crowd with big shots.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
PC fans don’t like being reminded that URI has more recent success than them.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
There were several occasions where the crowd tried to pull the team up after a single made basket. The crowd came more ready than the team.

Reaction Score
Sounded like great crowd until Providence took large lead,

Donny mentioned on the telecast that 10 or so former players were there. Any idea who they were?
I bumped into Olander on the way out.

CV1

Reaction Score
So much passion on the BY about the PC game. Maybe it would have helped to channel that passion and stand and cheer for the guys especially in the 1st half when Hurley was pleading for the crowd to help. He knew we needed the crowd just a bit more than usual being down Sanogo. Remember XL fans every minute counts and not just the last 10 minutes of the game

Reaction Score
So much passion on the BY about the PC game. Maybe it would have helped to channel that passion and stand and cheer for the guys especially in the 1st half when Hurley was pleading for the crowd to help. He knew we needed the crowd just a bit more than usual being down Sanogo. Remember XL fans every minute counts and not just the last 10 minutes of the game

Bad take. Crowds don't make teams perform well. It can help, sure... but thinking the crowd owes the team energy when they're playing like crap is weird. Teams make crowds excited and loud by performing well, not the other way around.

Reaction Score
Hartford was alive on Saturday - great atmosphere downtown and in the building but I must say - it was very disappointing to see providence kids in our own student section

Reaction Score
It's not about the last 10 minutes of the or a game. It's all about a crowd being engaged enough to cheer and maintain it. I was also there and there was enough of a buzz at XL but how can you keep it going when your team is not performing up to par? We were loud and the chants were there too. Yes! The last 10 minutes of this game was very exciting, of course it's going to get much louder and crazy at that point. Were we loud? Yes can we be louder, of course.

CV1

Reaction Score
Bad take. Crowds don't make teams perform well. It can help, sure... but thinking the crowd owes the team energy when they're playing like crap is weird. Teams make crowds excited and loud by performing well, not the other way around.
Then why was Hurley asking for the crowd to stand up in the 1st half and slapped the table when he realized they were still sitting in their seats? Crowds can be proactive if there is passion in the fanbase. Every time the crowd got pumped up, we made comebacks.

Reaction Score
Oh stop. Maybe Hurley (and you) should have been more concerned about what was going on in the game. You score 22 pts in a half and allow a 17-1 run the crowd is going to be silenced.

CV1

Reaction Score
Hartford was alive on Saturday - great atmosphere downtown and in the building but I must say - it was very disappointing to see providence kids in our own student section
Right. There were let’s go Providence chats going on in the 1st half and I didn’t hear any boos or anything. Good crowd just not great. The last 10 minutes was great and my point is that being down Sanogo against a big team like that, we could have used a little more from the crowd a little earlier in the game.

Reaction Score
Then why was Hurley asking for the crowd to stand up in the 1st half and slapped the table when he realized they were still sitting in their seats?
Probably for the same reason he ran up and screamed at RJ that he’s the “ man”. He seems to do a lot of performing on the sidelines.

Reaction Score
Then why was Hurley asking for the crowd to stand up in the 1st half and slapped the table when he realized they were still sitting in their seats? Crowds can be proactive if there is passion in the fanbase. Every time the crowd got pumped up, we made comebacks.
Sorry, but Hurley can't expect the crowd to cheer at his command when we were being pretty much out played at that point. We did however tried to rile them at other points of the game.

Reaction Score
Right. There were let’s go Providence chats going on in the 1st half and I didn’t hear any boos or anything. Good crowd just not great. The last 10 minutes was great and my point is that being down Sanogo against a big team like that, we could have used a little more from the crowd a little earlier in the game.
Stop rewriting history. The crowd was into it early when we were actually playing something that resembled basketball. The entire last half of the first half was unwatchable. Any crowd would be hard pressed to not get deflated after that.

And if you are shocked their were some pockets of providence fans in the building when the team is 12-1 and making their first trip to Hartford in a decade than I don’t know what to tell you.

Seems someone is looking for a scapegoat to distract from what happened in that game.

Reaction Score

The crowd got pumped up when we hit big shots. As they should. Like I said... the crowd responds when the team has energy and makes big plays. When there's a terrible product on the court, you can't expect crowd enthusiasm. No one owes Hurley cheers--we're paying to be in the seats for .

Hurley was slapping the table and looking at the crowd because he wants them to have energy...when the product on the floor isn't worthy of crowd energy. We played like garbage for what, 35 minutes? There was nothing for the fans to be excited about.

Hurley is a big fan of sideline antics. He calls himself a zen yogaman or whatever, but he's actually a pretty arrogant, high-strung, anxious dude. I don't really care about it one way or the other... Calhoun had his antics and arrogance too. It's probably a requirement of being a good coach at this level.

What I don't love is the sideline antics being a replacement for coaching the team on game day. I wonder if his emotions on the sideline are keeping him from being as analytical about the game as he needs to be. Calhoun could pull off both intensity and a high-level basketball mind... not sure Hurley can at this stage. Backing off the personal intensity and focusing on in-game adjustments and substitutions might be the cure for some of the crappy game-day coaching we've seen become a pattern. Let Kimani be the hype man.

Reaction Score
Right! How would you think the "boo's" would have been interpreted?

CV1

Reaction Score
Sorry, but Hurley can't expect the crowd to cheer at his command when we were being pretty much out played at that point. We did however tried to rile them at other points of the game.
Actually what happened was we were down 6 in the 1st half. We went on a 5-0 run and the crowd went nuts. PC calls a timeout and we turn back into a sleepy crowd and then PC went on a big run. Just as the run started , that’s when Hurley slammed the table. Hurley could tell the crowd noise was firing us up and affecting PC. Same thing that helped in the last 10 minutes of the game. I’ve been going to tons of games for the last 25 years. Just my opinion but it was not the best crowd, except for the last 10 minutes

Reaction Score
Actually what happened was we were down 6 in the 1st half. We went on a 5-0 run and the crowd went nuts. PC calls a timeout and we turn back into a sleepy crowd and then PC went on a big run. Just as the run started , that’s when Hurley slammed the table. Hurley could tell the crowd noise was firing us up and affecting PC. Same thing that helped in the last 10 minutes of the game. I’ve been going to tons of games for the last 25 years. Just my opinion but it was not the best crowd, except for the last 10 minutes

I don't understand how hard this is to get... We make shots and gets stops = crowd loud. We give up 3 layups in a row and brick 3s = crowd quiet. Plain and simple.

Reaction Score
I don't understand how hard this is to get... We make shots and gets stops = crowd loud. We give up 3 layups in a row and brick 3s = crowd quiet. Plain and simple.
I was there, and the crowd went bananas everytime this team showed the slightest bit of life. I don't know what people expect

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The least any crowd can do is overpower any, "Let's go <opponent>" chants. You simply join in with the chant with "Let's go Huskies." Not only do you drown out the opposing fans, but they actually assist in the chant, as 67% of the words are the same. Shame on us for allowing multiple "Let's go Friars" chants to happen uncontested.

Reaction Score
The least any crowd can do is overpower any, "Let's go <opponent>" chants. You simply join in with the chant with "Let's go Huskies." Not only do you drown out the opposing fans, but they actually assist in the chant, as 67% of the words are the same. Shame on us for allowing multiple "Let's go Friars" chants to happen uncontested.
You look incredibly dumb chanting lets go huskies down 16

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Neill Ostrout's lede in the JI neatly sums up the Saturday's crowd and the season to date:

It’s not exactly appropriate to use a metaphor about the top of the XL Center being on the verge of blowing off Saturday considering the building’s roof did in fact once collapse.

But that’s kind of the best way to describe the atmosphere in the old Civic Center mall. The sellout crowd of 15,564 Saturday evening was anxious for a reason to erupt in exultation for their team. There was just one problem: their team couldn’t make a shot.

The UConn men’s basketball team, which when the season began looked like a team that just needed one shooter to emerge in order to become a national contender, still looks that way.

Reaction Score
Unlike when I went to UConn in the 90s, you have to be valedictorian-ish to get into the school now. I’m pretty sure most students who show up to the games still care more about their next quiz than the next UConn game. So that may explain the rival students leaking into their section.
Back in my day the UConn game was the highlight of the week.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom