Great article on Kevin and Geno... | The Boneyard

Great article on Kevin and Geno...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Really nice piece. Great to see that the 2 HC's have such a large amount of respect for each other. 2 terrific HC's with multiple NC's in their futures!

"He has been the same person," Auriemma said. "I have a chance to play golf with him a lot. The No. 1 thing that sticks out is just what a really, really good man he is, what a genuine person. How much he loves what he is doing, how much he loves UConn and how it hurt so bad to have the kind of year they had last year and not be able to play in the NCAA Tournament. That's why I'm so happy for him and the guys.

"My daughter [Alysa] teaches a class here and she has a couple of the guys in her class. You can tell how much they love playing here, love going to school here, being student-athletes here. I think that is a huge credit to him. We have talked a lot about a lot of things since he got the job and we still talk after every game as much as we can. When you think about it," he said, "that's the way it's supposed to be
."

Mutual Fans

Reaction Score
Not that I need reinforcing but I am so glad Ollie is coaching our team.

Such a great individual who happens to be a coach. Parents of recruits will see this in him and certainly will entrust their kid to him if they select UConn.

Sure he's winning games but I really feel he's winning athletes' futures. I can't see one player not being a better person (forget better player) passing through his program. The beautiful thing is everything is just starting.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
A little bit of a dig there, no?

Whatever. I'm happy the two coaches like each other. I'd rather vintage JC and they hate each other, but KO and Geno getting along does nothing but help the school.

Can't imagine Ollie hating anyone though. Also point out that JC liked the women's team, and was an admirer/friend of Taurasi.

Reaction Score
eric, why as a women's fan why are you so much happier with this situation? Does it make anyone look better? Not busting just curious……..

I mean JC and Geno are the same types of people, arrogance, expectations, giving back to the community etc etc…….no one said they have to be best friends? I kind of liked it the other way but really don't care……..KO is new and has always been around the women as a player, an assistant and such so a bit of a different perspective here……..I just know it's a dig on JC from the "other side" and hate that. they don;t realize they may have the most arrogant coach in UConn history………

All good, like them all myself and don't care if anyone gets along - JUST WIN

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
eric, why as a women's fan why are you so much happier with this situation? Does it make anyone look better? Not busting just curious……..
Mainly because I'm a UCONN fan first and foremost. I root for our football team, our hoops teams, as well as our baseball, field hockey, soccer, hockey, polo, etc etc. teams.

When the women's polo or field hockey wins a NC, it's good for the school. When the football team hires a great new coach, it's good for the school. When the soccer teams make a final 4 push, it's good for the school. And I just think it's great when the head coaches like and respect each other. It's great seeing the WCBB team show up at a football game. It's great seeing the women's soccer team show up at a men's hoops game.

Nothing against JC - he took us from zero to 3 NC's in his time at UCONN. I wished he and Geno got along better. I'm glad the 2 HC's have a positive relationship now - mainly because I'm a UCONN fan first and foremost. If they want to hate Duke, or UNC, or Tennessee, or ND, or whoever, that's fine. But one school, one university, one community... Just MHO...

Reaction Score

I mean JC and Geno are the same types of people, arrogance, expectations, giving back to the community etc etc…….no one said they have to be best friends? I kind of liked it the other way but really don't care……..KO is new and has always been around the women as a player, an assistant and such so a bit of a different perspective here……..I just know it's a dig on JC from the "other side" and hate that. they don;t realize they may have the most arrogant coach in UConn history………

All good, like them all myself and don't care if anyone gets along - JUST WIN
They weren't enemies, they just weren't friends. Sometimes people click and sometimes they don't. I never saw it as any big deal.

Reaction Score
Ollie has two hall of fame coaches on speed dial and about 25 years of head coaching experience on his staff. Kevin doesn't need to take the stairs he can ride on the shoulders of giants. UCONN has built an impressive basketball kingdom.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They weren't enemies, they just weren't friends. Sometimes people click and sometimes they don't. I never saw it as any big deal.

Right. In fact, Geno very candidly supported Jim in his "not a dime back" episode. I think both JC and Geno loved the players..on each other's team..they just weren't playing golf together.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Can't imagine Ollie hating anyone though. Also point out that JC liked the women's team, and was an admirer/friend of Taurasi.
I did not know that.

Reaction Score
I too am a fan of all…….and I could care less if Ray Reid and Kevin Ollie get along as long as the team are competitive they help each other. The fact the women's fans seem to think it was on JC over they years as to why he and Geno weren't best friends is always what amazed me. Again they built their own empires per se about the same time and then the sword fight as to who's was bigger evolved because of ego's……..KO doesn't have that issue actually the furthest thing from it as he know Geno as a coach when he was a student athlete. In other words I have no doubt that his relationship has been totally different than that of Geno and JC…….no comparison!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I did not know that.

They spent a decent amount of time working together (not planned, just in the same space). Taurasi rehabbing her various injuries, and JC keeping things fresh for health purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom