Grandstaff, Ohio State transferring | The Boneyard

Grandstaff, Ohio State transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2015/12/freshman_guard_austin_grandsta.html

Top 60 frosh from Texas leaving Ohio State because of playing time. I think dad seems to be a pain too with way too much to say afterwards. I remember Jalen beat him baseline for a reverse lay in, he was taken out and never came back in until late 2nd half I believe. Kid has a sweet stroke despite just 33% from 3, will be nice get for a team who can spread it out and get him open. Has some game no doubt.

Look for him to end up at Butler or SMU. Never enough shooters, I would take him in a second.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2015/12/freshman_guard_austin_grandsta.html

Top 60 frosh from Texas leaving Ohio State because of playing time. I think dad seems to be a pain too with way too much to say afterwards. I remember Jalen beat him baseline for a reverse lay in, he was taken out and never came back in until late 2nd half I believe. Kid has a sweet stroke despite just 33% from 3, will be nice get for a team who can spread it out and get him open. Has some game no doubt.

Look for him to end up at Butler or SMU. Never enough shooters, I would take him in a second.

Dad definitely comes off .

Time for son to learn a lesson dad obviously hasn't taught him. You aren't staying on the floor as a shooter if you can't defend.

On a separate note, if getting beat by Adams for a baseline layup is going to get your arse pinned to the pine, there's going to be a whole bunch of players sitting for the next few years.

Reaction Score
Dad definitely comes off .

Time for son to learn a lesson dad obviously hasn't taught him. You aren't staying on the floor as a shooter if you can't defend.

On a separate note, if getting beat by Adams for a baseline layup is going to get your arse pinned to the pine, there's going to be a whole bunch of players sitting for the next few years.

Was thinking the same thing, JA has taken everyone he is able to get that first step on thus far not just this kid.

Reaction Score
Didn't have any problem with the dad he was refreshingly honest. The kid wants to play and Ohio State had a good recruiting class that he has to fight with for minutes.

Reaction Score
Didn't have any problem with the dad he was refreshingly honest. The kid wants to play and Ohio State had a good recruiting class that he has to fight with for minutes.

Nothing wrong with that. At the same time I'm not so sure i want a kid who wants minutes handed to him on our team.

Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with that. At the same time I'm not so sure i want a kid who wants minutes handed to him on our team.

Sorry but what am I missing here? There's nothing wrong at all with a dad that gets into this detail?:

"He's a scorer. He's a shooter. It's hard to play like that when you never know if you miss what's going to happen. It's a tough thing," Wes Grandstaff said. "We just didn't see next year getting any better. When you have guys playing 30-something minutes, there's not a lot of minutes to go around.".....add to it the quick piece on getting beat baseline and get taken out he is out of line. Maybe he's not but there's a red flag up to the other schools right now as I promise they think dad's on his way to calling them a mumu.

Reaction Score
Sorry but what am I missing here? There's nothing wrong at all with a dad that gets into this detail?:

"He's a scorer. He's a shooter. It's hard to play like that when you never know if you miss what's going to happen. It's a tough thing," Wes Grandstaff said. "We just didn't see next year getting any better. When you have guys playing 30-something minutes, there's not a lot of minutes to go around.".....add to it the quick piece on getting beat baseline and get taken out he is out of line. Maybe he's not but there's a red flag up to the other schools right now as I promise they think dad's on his way to calling them a mumu.
To add to that, "But they do a lot of things like blocking shots and rebounding that Austin does not do." And you wonder why your on the bench.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
In summary, his kid is leaving OSU and dad's push towards potential suitors is that his kid is a shooter who can't defend, rebound or block shots but needs consistent minutes on the floor for his shooting to come through.

Reaction Score

There is for me, but maybe not for him? If i didnt like my parents involvement in the past, I stood up to them, especially by the time i was of age to go to college. If he doesnt stand up to his dad, then i take it that he agrees and wants his dad speaking for him.

Either way, there is a team that accepts him and his dad, and thats the team for him (thats what i said, that is fine if that is his agenda, just find a team that is on par with your plans). If his dad is overbearing and he expects PT, I'd hope that we wouldnt be the kind of team to accommodate him, thats all.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

So you're mad that a parent is parenting?

The kid wants to bail, so he's bailing - I'm sure you heard his name for the first time last Saturday, so why do you even have an opinion?

You f---ers are like old hens sometimes.

Reaction Score
So you're mad that a parent is parenting?

The kid wants to bail, so he's bailing - I'm sure you heard his name for the first time last Saturday, so why do you even have an opinion?

You f---ers are like old hens sometimes.

No problem with him bailing but his dad has no class. Can't leave it at "Coach was a great guy, the school was great but it's not quite the fit we had planned it to be so unfortunately he is moving on. Thank you for everything"??? Maybe that would be you but as quiet as I am here, I would very politically correct on my kids way out so as to not look like that coach in the stands this guy is to the others who may want his services. But hey Fish that's just me maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I doubt it.

There's a reason things went the way they did for Heron.

Reaction Score

I agree that there was nothing wrong with what his dad said. He and son realize there are better players in front of him that have more of a all around game than Austin. His father was completely complimentary towards Ohio St. and Thad but realize it is not a good fit. You could argue that he could of stuck it out and got better but the reality is he was going to be stuck behind other young players at Ohio St. For a highly rated kid with professional aspirations sitting on the bench is not going to help. Kyle Wiltjer was in a similar situation and it worked out well for him. If we could only get Sam Cassell to have the same talk with his son.

Reaction Score
I agree that there was nothing wrong with what his dad said. He and son realize there are better players in front of him that have more of a all around game than Austin. His father was completely complimentary towards Ohio St. and Thad but realize it is not a good fit. You could argue that he could of stuck it out and got better but the reality is he was going to be stuck behind other young players at Ohio St. For a highly rated kid with professional aspirations sitting on the bench is not going to help. Kyle Wiltjer was in a similar situation and it worked out well for him. If we could only get Sam Cassell to have the same talk with his son.

I am all good with you guys thinking dad was ok I can see that a little, it's all opinion. But then you find the need to hammer a kid who enjoys being here and has not bitched at all about his PT? OK:rolleyes:

Reaction Score

I think you are really out of line with your last sentence.

Reaction Score
I think you are really out of line with your last sentence.

Well I am a habitual line stepper. But in all honestly, lighten the hell the up. It was a joke and it was far from hammering.

Reaction Score
Well I am a habitual line stepper. But in all honestly, lighten the hell the up. It was a joke and it was far from hammering.

Tough to tell it was a joke. Maybe only became a joke in your mind when you were criticized. Hope I am wrong.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I am all good with you guys thinking dad was ok I can see that a little, it's all opinion. But then you find the need to hammer a kid who enjoys being here and has not bitched at all about his PT? OK:rolleyes:

Lot of uppity tight asssess this week.

You were fine with your initial post and clarifications.

Hit the links for 18 and clear your head.

Reaction Score
Tough to tell it was a joke. Maybe only became a joke in your mind when you were criticized. Hope I am wrong.

why would you hope that you are wrong? Why would you care so much if someone made a little jab at Cassell? What is he your favorite player or distant cousin? C'mon stop being so emotional.

pj

Reaction Score
The dad was classy throughout. He said Loving and Bates-Diop were better players than his son because they could do things he couldn't. He said Ohio State taught his son a lot and improved his defense. He was praising everyone.

The only thing you could even mildly object to is when he repeated a sentiment his son had probably expressed to him, that it was hard for a shooter to get into a rhythm if you were worried about making a mistake. But that's something Jim Calhoun had said many times, players need to have fun on the court, they need to have confidence that comes from knowing what to do subconsciously without having to think about it, etc, etc.

Reaction Score
why would you hope that you are wrong? Why would you care so much if someone made a little jab at Cassell? What is he your favorite player or distant cousin? C'mon stop being so emotional.

It's not a capital offense, but when someone's taking personal shots at a kid when that person would absolutely drop a dump in his pants if Cassell gave him a second look that person looks like a clown.

You're making a joke (allegedly) that you hoped his father would get him to leave the program. Some people are going to call you out on it. Way it goes.

Reaction Score
Lot of uppity tight asssess this week.

You were fine with your initial post and clarifications.

Hit the links for 18 and clear your head.

75 Wednesday cleared my head that way, while polluting it at the same time LOL. Beautiful out isn't it. We are lucky so far but I'm knocking on wood hard. Now you go out there and clear yours!

Reaction Score
Let this thread die. I maybe took dad out of context and Worldwide may have not meant his statement as a dagger.

NEXT

Reaction Score
It's not a capital offense, but when someone's taking personal shots at a kid when that person would absolutely drop a dump in his pants if Cassell gave him a second look that person looks like a clown.

You're making a joke (allegedly) that you hoped his father would get him to leave the program. Some people are going to call you out on it. Way it goes.

You mean the same people that called the father a db for doing what is in his sons best interest in a complimentary way?

And I could care less if cassell gave me a second look in person. Who really does that?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01