Goodrich Starting Ahead of Diggins | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Goodrich Starting Ahead of Diggins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If next season she returns to this type of play, then maybe she's over rated. For now, it's too soon to tell.

Not Really. A boatload of players got released in preseason within one week. Of course there were mistakes and some were picked up later, but the majority disappeared and were never to be seen again.

Reaction Score
In Sue's rookie season, the WNBA was a lot different. There were 16 teams instead of 12, so not nearly as much competition on any given night. Right now, anyone can beat anyone. For instance, Seattle is 3-0 against Phoenix and 2-2 against LA, but 0-3 against Tulsa.

It's also worth mentioning that the 3-point line was 19'9'' in Sue's rookie season. This is the first season that the league is using the FIBA line of 22 feet 1 3/4 inches, after having it at 20 feet 6 1/4 inches from 2004 to 2012.

Probably fair to say Diggins would be doing better right now if she had those same advantages, though Bird is clearly a special player, and that's why she was able to succeed as a rookie point guard in a way that no other rookie PG has.

Reaction Score
But Elena, who was the only player on her team to average over 10 PPG, and was literally triple teamed almost every time she was on offense, should be even more exhausted than Skyler. And yet somehow Elena has persevered. Oh, and she's on the short list for MVP.

No one is saying Skyler is a has-been or is washed up. But they way they hyped the big 3, it seems totally fair to point out Skyler is no longer even starting, and given the lofty expectations, has been a disappointment to her fans, their team, and the league.

I'm sure there are numerous examples of players who struggled during their rookie seasons only to break out and become stars down the road. Glory comes to mind immediately. I'm sure you can think of many more.

And seriously? You can't compare 5-10 years ago to today? That's as crazy as saying Leslie's or Miller's accomplishments are tainted because "the league was not as good back then", or "the competition not as strong". Great players play great. Period.

keep in mind Delle Donn is playing with Price and Big Sly so she has two other MVP type players to help her out.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
In Sue's rookie season, the WNBA was a lot different. There were 16 teams instead of 12, so not nearly as much competition on any given night. Right now, anyone can beat anyone. For instance, Seattle is 3-0 against Phoenix and 2-2 against LA, but 0-3 against Tulsa.

It's also worth mentioning that the 3-point line was 19'9'' in Sue's rookie season. This is the first season that the league is using the FIBA line of 22 feet 1 3/4 inches, after having it at 20 feet 6 1/4 inches from 2004 to 2012.

Probably fair to say Diggins would be doing better right now if she had those same advantages, though Bird is clearly a special player, and that's why she was able to succeed as a rookie point guard in a way that no other rookie PG has.

Diggins is shooting 34.7% on her two point shots. Did they move the basket higher for her compared to Bird? Or do you have another excuse for her poor performance.

Exhausted? She is an in shape 23 year old. Poor baby, had to lead her team to another FF loss. I get tired just thinking about that.

Why is it so hard to admit that as of right now, Diggins is not performing to the great expectations that many folks had for her? Sure, she can and probably will improve, but her shooting numbers right now are bad and she has been removed from the starter role. She is what she is.

Reaction Score
Diggins is shooting 34.7% on her two point shots. Did they move the basket higher for her compared to Bird? Or do you have another excuse for her poor performance.

Exhausted? She is an in shape 23 year old. Poor baby, had to lead her team to another FF loss. I get tired just thinking about that.

Why is it so hard to admit that as of right now, Diggins is not performing to the great expectations that many folks had for her? Sure, she can and probably will improve, but her shooting numbers right now are bad and she has been removed from the starter role. She is what she is.

I don't get it other then her shot not falling what is Diggins doing that so bad? if players like Suger Rogers can make her shots do you really think Diggins won't be able t improve?

Reaction Score
Get out your throwing rocks for this next comment. Skylar Diggins reminds me of Kelly Faris. You won't find two players who work harder at their fitness or skills. I think either one would do anything to help their team win. And neither one quits when things look bleak. I've seen enough of Skylar against UCONN the last four years and I have a lot of respect for how she approaches the game. And for those complaining about the camera shots and all that... focus on what counts. I don't watch many WNBA games so I don't know how she is doing this season, but I believe when she steps on the court she puts as much into it as anyone. Now let the arrows fly.

Reaction Score

Excuses? Hardly. If someone wants to suggest that the WNBA isn't different than it was 11 years ago, I'm going to correct them. But nice try at sidestepping the fact that the 3-point line is MUCH farther out now than when Bird was a rookie and that the competition today isn't nearly as diluted today as it was in 2002. None of this is to suggest Skylar would be as good as Sue with the same advantages, but it is fair to say she would be transitioning better.

And no, it's not hard at all for me to admit that Diggins is struggling. I expected her to struggle, for the reasons that Scotter outlined. But she's also showing promise that shouldn't be ignored. I don't know that any other players with the exception of Ticha Penicheiro and Diggins have had multiple double-figure assist outings as rookies. I also like the fact that she's shooting 39.3% from 3 in 12 games over July and August. As with all rookie point guards, she'll become better at avoiding turnovers with experience.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Diggins deserved to be in the 3 to see. The professional game is extremely hard on small guards, particularly small guards that get picked by bad teams with undevloped offensive systems. Succeeding at that height and size takes technical proficiency that must be learned. Anyone with any awareness of the difficulty of that transition would be expecting her to struggle as a rookie. Just look at the history of both the WNBA as well as the NBA.

You make a very sound point, but Skylar will have to really dig down to find her way to real success in the WNBA. During her college career she feasted on a lot of weak sisters. I suspect she will have a middlin' at best WNBA career.

Reaction Score
I've seen 4 games of Tulsa in person this season and Diggins was very good in 1 of them and not so good in the other games. That said, it impressed me that she seems to be a real good teammate even when she is on the bench (this is not college). I believe she'll get there and be a real good PG in this league. IMO part of her problem is that at ND she played in a clear system designed by a great coach and maybe she does not have that in Tulsa. Another thing is that she is not that aggressive on defense as she was in college where she'll do her poking the ball from the back and steal it.
Generally speaking defense in the WNBA is really good which makes life harder for Diggins. Even in college when guarded by a real good defensive players she struggled with her shot (she didn't shoot well against UConn in the 4 games last season).
Is she somewhat overrated? probably but it's not her fault that she was nominated one of the 3 to see together with 2 players who are so unusual and dominant in their own right.
She'll be fine!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I don't get it other then her shot not falling what is Diggins doing that so bad? if players like Suger Rogers can make her shots do you really think Diggins won't be able t improve?
I've said over and over again that she can improve.

And the game is basketball. Shooting 32% and 27% on 3's are the kiss of death for players. I don't expect her to continue to shoot that poorly.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Excuses? Hardly. If someone wants to suggest that the WNBA isn't different than it was 11 years ago, I'm going to correct them. But nice try at sidestepping the fact that the 3-point line is MUCH farther out now than when Bird was a rookie and that the competition today isn't nearly as diluted today as it was in 2002. None of this is to suggest Skylar would be as good as Sue with the same advantages, but it is fair to say she would be transitioning better.

And no, it's not hard at all for me to admit that Diggins is struggling. I expected her to struggle, for the reasons that Scotter outlined. But she's also showing promise that shouldn't be ignored. I don't know that any other players with the exception of Ticha Penicheiro and Diggins have had multiple double-figure assist outings as rookies. I also like the fact that she's shooting 39.3% from 3 in 12 games over July and August. As with all rookie point guards, she'll become better at avoiding turnovers with experience.

In those twelve games her 2 point shooting is around the same, her scoring is down, her assits are down and her TO's are up.

You made several excuses, including the 3 point line, the fatigue factor, the teammate factor.

I expect her to improve, but there is no need to sugarcoat her performance to date.

Reaction Score
You make a very sound point, but Skylar will have to really dig down to find her way to real success in the WNBA. During her college career she feasted on a lot of weak sisters. I suspect she will have a middlin' at best WNBA career.

Weak sisters like UConn?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Weak sisters like UConn?

She rarely had good numbers against UCONN although she did plenty of damage with well timed baskets.

What numbers she had often came against lesser competition.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Weak sisters like UConn?

As Kara Lawson pointed out in the Semi-Final analysis, Skyler was contained by UConn throughout the 4 games in the 2012=13 season.

Reaction Score
I think it was easy to predict how Skylar's would do in the WNBA, if you looked at how she did against top competition last year (Baylor and UConn).

Baylor - 4-19, 0-5(3pt), 7assist, 3turnover
UConn 1 - 4-15, 2-4(3pt), 5assist, 7turnover
UConn 2 - 11-31, 0-5(3pt), 3assist, 8turnover
UConn 3 - 5-15, 0-2(3pt), 6assist, 5turnover
UConn 4 - 3-15, 0-3(3pt), 8assist, 6turnover

In those 5 games she shot 28.42%, 10.52%(3pt), 29assist, 29 turnovers. Those numbers translate directly to her first few months in the league. She has improved her numbers(shooting %) from there, but that came with moving to bench and play less minutes. I'm sure she can improve from this season on. It will be interesting to see what her actually ceiling is.

Reaction Score
This thread is crazy....Why can't we state the fact that Skylar is not starting? Or that she is struggling with her shot? Is this not true? I just can't see why people get all bent out of shape when facts like these are mentioned on this board? I've also read when posters are clearly saying that "she will/has time to improve" and still get attacked for their opinion. No one here is saying that isn't a good basketball player so I don't get it. She is definitely not playing well so why can't we talk about that on here?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
This thread is crazy....Why can't we state the fact that Skylar is not starting? Or that she is struggling with her shot? Is this not true? I just can't see why people get all bent out of shape when facts like these are mentioned on this board? I've also read when posters are clearly saying that "she will/has time to improve" and still get attacked for their opinion. No one here is saying that isn't a good basketball player so I don't get it. She is definitely not playing well so why can't we talk about that on here?
Uh...we are stating all that. We are talking about it.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
It's so wonderful of you to remind us. Thanks.

Gosh, it's been so dead around here this summer, I'll think of something to wake this place up. Doggy, we need a good old-fashioned row.

But its cool and crisp in Vermont, thinking about the prospects of a new season…BB and skiing.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Gosh, it's been so dead around here this summer, I'll think of something to wake this place up. Doggy, we need a good old-fashioned row.

"..a really stupid..and futile gesture be made on somebody's part. And, [he's] just the guy to do it!"

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I think it was easy to predict how Skylar's would do in the WNBA, if you looked at how she did against top competition last year (Baylor and UConn).

Baylor - 4-19, 0-5(3pt), 7assist, 3turnover
UConn 1 - 4-15, 2-4(3pt), 5assist, 7turnover
UConn 2 - 11-31, 0-5(3pt), 3assist, 8turnover
UConn 3 - 5-15, 0-2(3pt), 6assist, 5turnover
UConn 4 - 3-15, 0-3(3pt), 8assist, 6turnover

In those 5 games she shot 28.42%, 10.52%(3pt), 29assist, 29 turnovers. Those numbers translate directly to her first few months in the league. She has improved her numbers(shooting %) from there, but that came with moving to bench and play less minutes. I'm sure she can improve from this season on. It will be interesting to see what her actually ceiling is.
I agree that Skylar did not shoot well in the games against top opponents last season, but she must have done something right as Notre Dame beat UConn 3 out of 4 times last year and the Irish went 30-2 on the season. If Skylar was not a significant part of the reason they were so successful, then look out this season, because everyone is more experienced and Reimer and Allen join the team.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

But its cool and crisp in Vermont, thinking about the prospects of a new season…BB and skiing.
It's been dead?

You missed "as the Plotsie turns"? And the explosion of that new poster, Big Uconn, that left after a few posters disagreed with him?

Plenty of conversation without a good old fashion row, old timer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom