Goodbye to a big Part of UConn BB History | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Goodbye to a big Part of UConn BB History

Reaction Score
The floor should show the years of both the men's and women's National Titles.
No attack @my2cents but that is what all the banners hanging from the ceiling are for. (and the cameras always find them) If they list what you suggest it would have to be in both directions along with the team logo center, conference logo in both directions.
With all the success on our floor between both the men and women it would look like a page from a math book. ;)

Reaction Score
No attack @my2cents but that is what all the banners hanging from the ceiling are for. (and the cameras always find them) If they list what you suggest it would have to be in both directions along with the team logo center, conference logo in both directions.
With all the success on our floor between both the men and women it would look like a page from a math book. ;)
Not to mention that it become out of date in under 1 year. Much easier to keep banners current. Heck, you don't even need to win an NC to hang a banner.

Reaction Score
Would someone please explain if this new floor is going into a new building or is this just simply a replacement of wood in the existing building?

Reaction Score
"
"For the first time in its history, Gampel Pavilion will be getting a new court.

On Tuesday, UConn announced the original hardwood has reached the end of its useful life after 33 years and will be replaced this coming offseason.

Installed in 1990, the court is sanded and refinished each offseason which means the thickness of the wood has been slowly reduced and can no longer be sanded. After commencement begins, work will start on removing the old floor, making any necessary renovations to the subfloor, installing the new hardwood, refinishing it, and finally painting it. The new surface will be made of maple.

“The time has come for that legendary hardwood to be replaced as we continue to keep our focus on maintaining our facilities at the highest level so we can provide our coaches and student-athletes the tools they need to compete for championships,” UConn athletic director David"

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think they should name the new court “Hall of Fame Court”. One end line should have Auriemma’s name and signature in the other should have Calhoun’s name and signature. The sidelines should have the names and signatures of the players in the Naismith Hall of Fame: Lobo, Allen, and Cash with more to be added, as they are in the distinction. That would be some thing that would be unique to UConn, and be nice tribute to its outstanding history.

When Geno retires, they should name Hillside Road Auriemma Avenue. That would put Gampel Pavilion on the intersection of Jim Calhoun Way and Auriemma Avenue. Every game would start with a shot of the road sign with the two names and a voiceover saying “We are here at Hall of Fame Court in Gampel pavilion located at the intersection of Jim Calhoun Way and Auriemma Avenue.” it’s a fitting way to acknowledge and preserve the great tradition a basketball that has happened to Connecticut.

Reaction Score
How about small Husky logos at the corner of all the intersecting lines. They only need to be about 6 inches round. Just a subtle reminder everywhere on the court of a national championship. They wouldn’t be too invasive because they’re small but you’d still see them playing on the court at the foul line at the baseline at the corner three midcourt. If it didn’t look too much, maybe the year within the small logo.

Reaction Score
I agree with keeping the court simple but at same time give it a fresh look but not to the extend of the Oregon way or the likes.

I personally like courts that have a silhouette of a city skyline or a distinguish feature of an arena or the like. In UConn's situation they have two places they call home, Gampel Pavilion and the XL Center. I would make both floors the same but with these two differences. For Gampel the unique feature is the dome and could be one such image on floor (I only show the dome) and for the XL a silhouette of the Hartford skyline.

UConn Gampel and XL Floor Designs.jpg

Reaction Score
Would someone please explain if this new floor is going into a new building or is this just simply a replacement of wood in the existing building?
Just a new court for the existing building

Reaction Score
Nix the red tongue. The court would resemble a Rolling Stones logo.
I think got Skeets post wrong. Skeets meant when they cut the old floor into pieces, what would you want on the piece you bought. I think the tongue would be cool. Maybe a nostril.

Reaction Score
I'd love a piece of the flooring. I'd put it next to my Ron Francis Whaler jersey, my Kevin Deneen jersey, my John Anderson hockey stick, the 1994 Whalers autographs and the Whalers-Lightning program.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see the DEMAND for the pieces. Surely there is enough demand by nostalgic UConn fans and alumni to want a piece of the floor if the price is right. No doubt it will be another 40 years before they do this again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom