Also:

Stand by Me
American History X
Closer
Remains of the day

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
i know what Sophie's Choice is about, and I won't watch it. I have heard The Road with Viggo Mortensen is grim too. Won't watch that either.

Reaction Score
i know what Sophie's Choice is about, and I won't watch it. I have heard The Road with Viggo Mortensen is grim too. Won't watch that either.
The Road is quite good and worth watching, it's sad, sure, but still has something uplifting about it. The book is way better though.

Edit: lol totally forgot I mentioned The Road in my first post ITT.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Thought of a couple others. "The Secret Life of Words" w/ Tim Robbins and Sarah Polley and "Martha Marcy May Marlene" w/ Elizabeth Olsen.

Reaction Score
Arlington Road - saw it again after several years. Very good but brutal ending....

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Oslo, 31 august. If you haven't seen it, it is about a recovery drug addict who sneaks out of his out-patient treatment in Oslo. Fantastic film.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I mentioned A Perfect Day in the recently watched thread. It's about getting a corpse out of a well in Bosnia, but done in a black comedy style that's a veneer to make the proceedings palatable to watch.

But it's another movie about Bosnia that is perhaps more riveting and more depressing: Welcome to Sarajevo, which bombed in the US despite making several top 10 lists the year it was released.

Reaction Score
The Parallax View

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

Obviously not for most of the movie, but One flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest gets pretty depressing at the end, and the undertones of the movie throughout are grim.

Reaction Score
The Parallax View

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

Obviously not for most of the movie, but One flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest gets pretty depressing at the end, and the undertones of the movie throughout are grim.

I was very impressed with Me and Earl and the Dying Girl when I saw it a couple of years ago. While it has its fair share of depressing elements (more than just the title), it has some hilarious stuff in it as well, especially the amateur parody movies that are produced by the protagonist and his friend Earl. This is a film that I also found oddly uplifting despite all the sad stuff. It is also a movie that I would definitely want to see again.

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl is one of the two best "teenager in high school” movies that I’ve seen in recent years. The other would be The Perks of Being a Wallflower, another oddball film that has more than its share of elements to get it on the Good Movies that are Depressing list.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was very impressed with Me and Earl and the Dying Girl when I saw a couple of years ago. While it has its fair share of depressing elements (more than just the title), it has some hilarious stuff in it as well, especially the amateur parody movies that are produced by the protagonist and his friend Earl. This is a film that I also found oddly uplifting despite all the sad stuff. It is also of movie that I would definitely want to see again.

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl is one of the two best "teenager in high school” movies that I’ve seen in recent years. The other would be The Perks of Being a Wallflower, another oddball film that has more than its share of elements to get it on the Good Movies that are Depressing list.
Yeah, I guess depressing may not be the most appropriate categorization of the film. I didn’t expect that ending, that’s probably why.

Great movie though I agree, very sad and heart wrenching subject and they did very well in showing that.

Reaction Score
"Terms of Endearment" would be the champion of the good but depressing category.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. I didn't like how Dumbledor had to go and Snape was at the height of his evilness facade.

Goblet of Fire is the most depressing of the series (Deathly Hallows, Part I doesn't qualify as it was purposely split into two parts), but the thread stipulates the movie must be good. Goblet of Fire was the least enjoyable of the series.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. I didn't like how Dumbledor had to go and Snape was at the height of his evilness facade.

Goblet of Fire is the most depressing of the series (Deathly Hallows, Part I doesn't qualify as it was purposely split into two parts), but the thread stipulates the movie must be good. Goblet of Fire was the least enjoyable of the series.

I disagree. That title goes to Order of the Phoenix in both Book and movie form.

Goblet of Fire is an Amazing book. Probably my favorite of the series. The movie adaptation doesnt hold a candle to the book. But I think I still liked it better than OOTP. They really should have done a part 1 and part 2 in for that one in movie form. The book warranted it.

The first 3 movie adaptations of the the first 3 books worked brilliantly because the books were short enough to get the proper treatment in 120-150 minutes.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I disagree. That title goes to Order of the Phoenix in both Book and movie form.

Goblet of Fire is an Amazing book. Probably my favorite of the series. The movie adaptation doesnt hold a candle to the book. But I think I still liked it better than OOTP. They really should have done a part 1 and part 2 in for that one in movie form. The book warranted it.

The first 3 movie adaptations of the the first 3 books worked brilliantly because the books were short enough to get the proper treatment in 120-150 minutes.
I liked the Order of the Phoenix movie better than Goblet of Fire. Truth be told, they probably could have done a two-parter for the last 4 books. The kids were growing up too fast.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
"The Hunt." Well crafted, excellent performance from Mads Mikkelsen. Not a happy feel good movie. He is a teacher who is falsely accused of molesting a young student. Rumors spread like wildfire and soon more accusations are directed toward him. It's a very small town, everyone knows everyone. Soon his life long friends turn on him and he is assaulted in public repeatedly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom