Good effort | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Good effort

Reaction Score
D
I agree with comments but defense needed to be better first half but got it together in 2nd half. ZT looks like a back-up QB - but let’s not get down on him - true Husky and tons of grit! I hope he reaches his full potential while at Uconn.

Rosa is the best running back I’ve seen in a long, long time. Running for a TD with most times no blockers in front of you? Dang, he is going to make things fun in the years to come.

We need to fill some holes but I trust Mora is all over it.
Disagree. The D came out stopped them on downs. The Zion fumbled on play one and gave them a 30 yard field. the D stopped there next two drives then Zion threw a pick six on a screen pass. The D then held them to just seven more points in the half.

They played very well with zero help from the offense.

Reaction Score
Show of hands, did anyone laugh hysterically at Zion getting steam-rolled in the end zone after throwing a catastrophic pick 6? After I picked my jaw up off the floor, I laughed pretty hard.

The second half was fun. The guys didn’t quit. I was hoping for a slightly closer outcome but at least we had a game on our hands.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't define a game with multiple personal fouls, a targeting ejection, missed FG and a WR not being able to line up on the LOS a "good effort".

The players did not play well for 40 minutes of the game. There was about a 20 minute period between 3rd and 4th quarter where they played well.

Otherwise, this was a poorly played game and little discipline needed to win a game.
Agree with your comment and add our QB and OC really need to improve their games immediately if we as a program are to move upward.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Anyone able to link to a clip of the no-call PI? Or give an explanation of what it was?

Had to leave home before the game was over and turned on the radio in the car right after that play.
No, but I can describe it.

Play 1 (no call, Mora Unsportsmanlike penalty): Post route to Marion, Turner throws the ball high, the defender blasts through Marion before the ball arrives but Marion has overrun the flight of the ball so that he would not be able to adjust on the ball that ended up 8 feet over his head. Some will say Marion could have made an attempt, but my initial thought was ZT air mailed the pass and didn't lead him enough.

Play 2 (no call, no argument): Same post play to A. Turner, A beautiful throw from ZT that was going to be caught against a CB is tight but trailing coverage. The replay showed the CB grabbing the back shoulder.

Also, important to point out that on both plays, the WR could have drawn a penalty if they stopped short and sold it, but any good official would have called the first play some of the time and the second one most of the time.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't define a game with multiple personal fouls, a targeting ejection, missed FG and a WR not being able to line up on the LOS a "good effort".

The players did not play well for 40 minutes of the game. There was about a 20 minute period between 3rd and 4th quarter where they played well.

Otherwise, this was a poorly played game and little discipline needed to win a game.
I agree. Many low snaps as well. Poor decision making by ZT in the fourth with the unwise toss that Marion(?) almost caught for a 1 yard gain and then the bad interception to close out the game.

Millen just missed a TD pass by throwing short as well. Not as bad as everything else but we could have used a spark in the first half.

Fortunately, Rosa had a very good game to score a few.

Reaction Score
Show of hands, did anyone laugh hysterically at Zion getting steam-rolled in the end zone after throwing a catastrophic pick 6? After I picked my jaw up off the floor, I laughed pretty hard.

The second half was fun. The guys didn’t quit. I was hoping for a slightly closer outcome but at least we had a game on our hands.
I can’t begin to imagine why anyone would laugh at that. Please enlighten me about what I am missing.

Reaction Score
No, but I can describe it.

Play 1 (no call, Mora Unsportsmanlike penalty): Post route to Marion, Turner throws the ball high, the defender blasts through Marion before the ball arrives but Marion has overrun the flight of the ball so that he would not be able to adjust on the ball that ended up 8 feet over his head. Some will say Marion could have made an attempt, but my initial thought was ZT air mailed the pass and didn't lead him enough.

Play 2 (no call, no argument): Same post play to A. Turner, A beautiful throw from ZT that was going to be caught against a CB is tight but trailing coverage. The replay showed the CB grabbing the back shoulder.

Also, important to point out that on both plays, the WR could have drawn a penalty if they stopped short and sold it, but any good official would have called the first play some of the time and the second one most of the time.
Thanks. Unfortunate timing since momentum was definitely swinging our way.

Reaction Score
Very proud of our team; even down by 28, they did not quit and actually made a game of it with about 8 minutes in Q4 and had the ball.?Unfortunately, that was our high water mark.
Congrats to all these guys; you made us proud to be Husky alumni and fans.
Thank you guys.
Also, thanks to all the fans who attended and represented our University and supported our team.
On another serious issue, Coach Mora has work to do whether in portal, transfers or outstanding recruits; our team has some obvious deficiencies.
Not even to appear presumptuous to advise a Coach of Mora’s stature what he must do to correct deficiencies but must state our lack of an accomplished QB was very evident today. In my opinion, ZT does not react fast enough to anticipate that his receivers are breaking open and by the time he releases the ball , receivers are no longer open. Can this be taught; I don’t believe so; this is an inherent instinct, one has it or not.
Flying combat missions was a great indicator as to who could “ Cut the mustard” and who was a wingman.
Even before the chime began pounding in one’s ear, a good pilot had fired his missiles possibly a split second before due to his interruption as to what he saw on his fire control display.
This was instinctive; same instinct that a QB must have. I am not a mean spirited
person and truly hope ZT can somehow develop this skill but time will tell.
I wish all Dog Pounders and UConn fans a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
from an old beat up warrior, but happy to report still vertical approaching another milestone 90.
Ciao

Reaction Score
I can live with the no pi call. If you're a giants fan, you were on the opposite end last night. Is what it is.
But I would love to know what mora did to get an unsportsmanlike penalty. You see coaches like saban and Kelly who look like they're about to murder the refs, yet you never see this call.
They blew the call; they should have let him vent a little.

Reaction Score
I felt if Marion had stopped running and made a play for the ball the defender would have run him over and the linesman would have had to make that call.

Reaction Score
Don't know if it's true or not but heard during the broadcast that Mora asked the official what conference they were from and that's when he got hit with the unsportsmanlike.
Well that's just over the line. He's lucky he wasn't ejected.

Reaction Score
I can’t begin to imagine why anyone would laugh at that. Please enlighten me about what I am missing.
I apologize, I didn’t mean to make waves. I found tragic the irony in the play to be more humerus than the impact on the player itself. He made a very silly play and in his unrelenting effort to rectify his error, he was overmatched on the goal line and still resulted in the touchdown. I laughed at the play the same way I laughed at the butt fumble, it was very silly. The play was ironic and I found humor in that, not at Zion personally. I don’t want Zion to get hurt, nor anyone else, but I love humor, and I find humor in many facets of life. I played contact sports my entire life and we laughed at and with each other when things like that happened. I apologize if I upset anyone, it wasn’t my intent

Reaction Score
Very happy with our resilience today and looking at this game as a reward to players, coaches and fans as well as confirmation of a few priorities moving forward. It took a couple of daggers by the refs to cool our comeback but the will and fight were there. No complaints and we will be back and competitive next year.

Reaction Score

That ball was NOT 8' over the receiver's head, as stated by a previous poster. Definitely should have been a PI. As a Washington (I hate the name Commanders) AND Husky fan, those were two nightmarish non-calls in the space of about 18 hours.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
QB was very evident today. In my opinion, ZT does not react fast enough to anticipate that his receivers are breaking open and by the time he releases the ball , receivers are no longer open. Can this be taught; I don’t believe so; this is an inherent instinct, one has it or not.
Kenny Pickett developed that skill.

Reaction Score
The zebras were definitely not our friends today, but despite that we did see areas where we need to improve. Kudos to the Marshall D which is pretty good. Lots of pressure up front made for tough sledding at times. BTW props to the peeps at Bear's for a fun afternoon.

But what I really want to say is a big thank you to all players and coaches. It's nice to feel emotionally invested in this team again. Let's face it when you are 1-11 or whatever, fans tend to go through the motions. You know the drill...great tailgate, nice weather, yada yada... This season you made me want to watch. You made me want get my butt to the Rent. You made get into the game. You made me feel the emotional ups and downs again. You made me rush the field after a big win. You made me feel the spirit again. Don't take this for granted people. It isn't always perfect, but it's a damn fun ride.

Reaction Score
The fact that we have a thread titled Good Effort in a game where we were down 28-0 to Marshall is a pretty good indication of how far we had fallen. It was nice to be back in a bowl game and I salute the accomplishments of this team. I guess the first step to recovery is to admit that there’s a problem.

Reaction Score
Solid effort-didn’t give up and showed grit-self inflicted wounds and bad refereeing...and way too much Marshall celebrating after gains and stops (Flex one more time). Put them on the schedule again. I don’t think you find a player on the team who wouldn’t want a chance to get even with them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom