Gonzaga Scouting Report | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gonzaga Scouting Report

Reaction Score
I've been pretty disappointed with Nembhard so far this year. He over-penetrates the paint without a plan way too much for someone who's maybe 5'10 on a good day and his shooting has been wildly inconsistent.
Few should have consulted the Boneyard on Nembhard. We could have told him that.

caw

Reaction Score
i think this is the worst gonzaga team in like 15 years. you could tell me it's mark few's worst overall. so they'll probably make the elite 8 somehow

I think they are better defensively than last year but miles worse offensively mostly by losing Timme and replacing him with the passable defender but worse offensively Ike. Their frontcourt depth is pretty solid and long. They all do shoot from three (though not a ton individually). Their biggest issue is their guard depth is really bad. I'm not even sure who their backups are at the PG and SG position. They basically go seven deep and their two off the bench are bigs. Few shot himself in the foot by running off all their depth.

Reaction Score
I’m expecting this to be a competitive game…but we should be favored and should win it as long as we play our B- game or better.

Gonzaga is good but not great. The “Hey Adrien” effect on the scouting report write up makes even a KenPom 300+ team sound like a scary and formidable opponent :)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Does this one count on the books as an actual road game, or will they call it a neutral site ???
I haven't seen it anywhere.
If we get the benefit of MSG being a neutral game, then it's fair that this one also be is a "neutral" game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The thing that gives me pause about them is that they have a pretty even distribution of scoring. Teams like that are always difficult to guard.

Their only losses are to Purdue and Washington. Purdue got down to them early but then ended up winning by 10 points. It will be a nice test for us. i'm looking forward to the game.

(We're doomed.)

Reaction Score
The thing that gives me pause about them is that they have a pretty even distribution of scoring. Teams like that are always difficult to guard.
Sounds like a team we know very well. :)

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Yes this is good. We are to fly 3,000 miles playing a game three time zones away from home and we have posts predicting an easy win. They are a proud program and this game is very important to their overall rating because of how weak their conference is. This will be a dog fight and we should count our blessings if we come out a winner. If we do then the pre season gauntlet DH agreed too, works out to perfection.

Reaction Score
Yes this is good. We are to fly 3,000 miles playing a game three time zones away from home and we have posts predicting an easy win. They are a proud program and this game is very important to their overall rating because of how weak their conference is. This will be a dog fight and we should count our blessings if we come out a winner. If we do then the pre season gauntlet DH agreed too, works out to perfection.
Fortunately. Hurley will not allow the team to underestimate this opponent like the board's consensus opinion. Granted, we smoked them last year but this is a different team...and we are not fully formed yet.

Reaction Score
Yeah this is closer to a 50/50 game than anything.

Gonzaga is 99-4 in the state of Washington over the last 6 years, including neutral and away games. 10-3 against top 50 teams. They've never played a top 10 team in Washington during that span. Their fans are going to be ready.

Reaction Score
I think they are better defensively than last year but miles worse offensively mostly by losing Timme and replacing him with the passable defender but worse offensively Ike. Their frontcourt depth is pretty solid and long. They all do shoot from three (though not a ton individually). Their biggest issue is their guard depth is really bad. I'm not even sure who their backups are at the PG and SG position. They basically go seven deep and their two off the bench are bigs. Few shot himself in the foot by running off all their depth.
i loved ike when he was at wyoming with maldo, i'm excited to see him play again. definitely a shorter rotation. losing venters hurt them. from the looks of it they are going to have to pride themselves on defense. should be a good test, the newton/nembhard matchup will be the one to watch. hunter sallis off to a fast start at wake too, im sure few wishes he could have made him and nembhard work together

Reactions: caw

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
This is a huge game for Few.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Watched their last game on-demand last night; they play through the paint... Good passers. Gotta keep DC and SJ foul free and prob run some doubles at Watson when he posts AK. I think we outscore them regardless if the nagging injuries aren't a factor.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
If we get the benefit of MSG being a neutral game, then it's fair that this one also be is a "neutral" game.
It is neutral.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
you could tell me it's mark few's worst overall.
I don't think this is the case. They had a few lean years after their initial wave of success. When you are heavily relying on guys like Mike Hart, David Stockton and David Pendergraft, you are lacking in talent.

Reaction Score
I don't think this is the case. They had a few lean years after their initial wave of success. When you are heavily relying on guys like Mike Hart, David Stockton and David Pendergraft, you are lacking in talent.
Yeah that 2009-2012 stretch were the teams I was thinking of. But even they had Steven gray (def remember him) and Elias harris ( I remember him being good as a freshman) and Robert sacre (played nba) and then kelly olynyk got involved at some point. But from 2000-2009 they were sharp with “remember those guys”. I’m not sure I’ll be talking about Nolan Hickman twenty years from now the way I do Blake stepp

For sure a down year, but definitely not someone you’d wanna overlook. Especially across the country. But I think we snuff em

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Yeah that 2009-2012 stretch were the teams I was thinking of. But even they had Steven gray (def remember him) and Elias harris ( I remember him being good as a freshman) and Robert sacre (played nba) and then kelly olynyk got involved at some point. But from 2000-2009 they were sharp with “remember those guys”. I’m not sure I’ll be talking about Nolan Hickman twenty years from now the way I do Blake stepp

For sure a down year, but definitely not someone you’d wanna overlook. Especially across the country. But I think we snuff em
I had to look it up. I thought the 3 I mentioned all played together, but they didn't. Pendergraft was before, but Hart and Stockton overlapped most of their careers. There were some other good players around them. I just thought some of those guys were clearly overmatched when they played against really good teams. They were fine playing against WCC opponents.

I think the year Josh Heytvelt got suspended they had some struggles, wouldn't have gotten in the Tourney if they didn't win their conference tourney IIRC.

Reaction Score
Spencer is gonna stick it to Nembhart tomorrow night. On offense and defense. Creighton is a turnover machine.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom