Gonzaga Scouting Report | The Boneyard

Gonzaga Scouting Report

Reaction Score
Gonzaga: 31-5
KenPom Rating: 6
NET ranking: 6
6-4 vs Q1 ; 5-0 vs Q2

Nation’s Longest Winning Streak (12 games)

Best Win
  • 12/17/22 100-90 to Alabana
    • Team shot 62.3 2p%, 41.2 3p%
    • Six players w/ 10+ points led by Timme’s 29
    • Forced 21 turnovers

Worst Loss:
  • 11/16/22 93-74 to Texas
    • Team gave up 20 turnovers
    • Texas shot 63.6 2p% and 39.4 3p%

OFFENSE: 1st in efficiency
  • 2nd w/ a 58.5 2p%
  • 5th in block percentage
  • 10th w/ a 38.3 3p%
    • 309th in 3PA/FGA (32.5%)
  • 14th in turnover prevention
  • 33rd in tempo (16.1 seconds/possession)
  • 82nd in offensive rebounding rate
  • 96th in FTA/FGA (34.0%)
    • 295th w/ a 69.8 FT%
      • Timme: 136th in FT rate, 63.3 FT%
      • Watson: 266th in FT rate, 56.8 FT%
  • 180th in A/FGM (50.2%)

DEFENSE: 73rd in efficiency
  • 47th in FT prevention (26.2%)
    • 268th in opp. FT% (73.2%)
  • 54th in defensive rebounding rate
  • 56th in forcing ISO (45.5% A/FGM)
  • 122nd in steal rate
    • Watson 107th in the nation (that surprises me for a PF)
    • Smith 430th in the nation
  • 136th in block rate
    • Timme 289th in the nation
    • Gregg’s 6.4% block rate would be 83rd in the nation if qualified w/ enough minutes
  • 164th in opp. Avg. possession length (17.6 seconds)
  • 203rd in opp. 2P% (50.7%)
  • 241st in 3PA/FGA prevention (38.9%)
    • 257th in opp. 3P% (35.7%)

Other metrics:
  • 20th in minutes continuity (66.8%)
  • 51st in height (6’6.1)
  • 210th in 2-Foul Participation (18.3%)
  • 313th in bench minutes (24.6%)
    • In comparison, UConn is 221st w/ 29.3%, lower than I expected

Offensive efficiency is nothing new for Mark Few: Gonzaga has finished the season #1 in offensive efficiency in three of the last four years and even finished within the top-ten in five of his first seven seasons at the helm, well before he was recruiting five-star recruits and impact transfers.

That focus on offense has typically skewed his teams to have weak defenses in comparison to the teams ranked similarly in the nation. Case in point, Gonzaga’s efficiency ranking this season is its lowest since the 2006-07 season and only Baylor, Missouri and Miami have lower efficiency ratings within the AP Top 25.

That being said, Gonzaga has strong individual defenders, more on that later.

Long story short, Gonzaga wants to play fast and put points on the board: nine of their game point totals this season were 99 points or higher while they are just 2-5 when scoring 74 points or lower. The good news: UConn has the length, athleticism and defensive system that has the ability to slow down the Bulldogs…we’re coming off tournament games where opponents have scored an average of 61 points.

Aside from playing arguably the weakest defense UConn has played so far in the tournament, a big analytical advantage (nerds!) comes in Timme’s and Watson’s combined issues on the charity stripe. As seen above, teams foul this duo a ton (obviously, they have the ball in their hands a lot), but there is a sound strategy in a hack-a-Bulldog-frontcourt option, if necessary.

Screen Shot 2023-03-25 at 9.40.49 AM.png

Simply put, Gonzaga’s strength is in their forwards and wings with Timme, Strawther and Watson the team’s minutes and scoring leaders.

Maybe it’s overconfidence, but UConn matches up well with Timme: yes, he’s an incredibly gifted offensive power forward, but Gonzaga has not seen a 1-2 punch at the 5 spot between Sanogo and Clingan. Not only will the duo share five fouls apiece when guarding Timme, but they both have a clear size and strength advantage over Timme. Timme’s strengths are his footwork, variety of post moves and passing ability (leads the team in assists).

To me, Watson is Gonzaga’s two-way X factor, but I see a lot of Saint Mary’s Kyle Bowen in Anton Watson: defense, physicality, length, smart player who keeps things simple in offense: while he will be a tough assignment for Karaban, especially with put backs and post ups, Karaban was battle tested between talented, strong 4s between Iona’s Nelly Junior Joseph and Bowen. Watson worries me the most when UConn is in low-post situations, but Sanogo has made major strides this year in kick outs when the pressure rises.

Strawther is Gonzaga’s best NBA prospect due to his size, BBIQ and shooting ability from all three levels, but as many have mentioned before Andre Jackson is tailor made to shadow him. He’s got the athletic ability to defend well, but he gets a bit of tunnel vision, especially in switching opportunities, so there’s a good chance Hurley could draw up sets to free up Jackson for easy basket opportunities (like that beautiful set from the Arkansas game where he was WIDE open on the baseline.

Gregg is the backup at both the 4 and the 5, with an NBA ready toolbox as a rim-running stretch forward who is also the team’s best rim protector.

As seen below, Few’s guard rotations are almost hockey shift-esque: the most offensive savvy starters of Hickman/Bolton and the stronger defensive duo of Sallis/Smith.

Screen Shot 2023-03-25 at 9.42.19 AM.png

Bolton (Iowa State via Penn State) and Smith (Chattanooga via Wright State) are both former stars from their previous stops who have fit in beautifully in Few’s offensive scheme. Both were three-level, bucket-getting scorers in their previous stops, they have the ability to break down the defense to create their own offense and get to the line. Even though Bolton is the starter, both guards play similar minutes and, in my opinion, are interchangeably effective offensive players: Bolton is a quick shooter while Smith is the more physical two-way option.

On a team with multiple strong facilitators, both Hickman and Sallis are low-usage point guards. Hickman is smaller and the better shooter, but Newton’s size and length should give Hickman issues on defense. On the other end, Sallis is clearly Gonzaga’s best perimeter defender, but is Gonzaga’s only weak shooter from three. Sallis is also the better breakdown offensive player.

When UConn is on offense, I see clear matchup advantages for Newton/Hawkins/Big whenever their starters are on the floor while Jackson matches up with Strawther lovely on both ends.

Simply put, UConn has not seen an offense this talented so far this year, but you could also argue that Gonzaga has the worst defense since playing Providence in the BET.

Winning their last two games by three points, Gonzaga has walked a bit of a tight rope lately but obviously they are not taken lightly. They’ll try to push the tempo but I have a lot of confidence in Hurley’s halfcourt offensive set creativity to use the clock, when needed, to find open scorers.

It’s here! I’m giddy!

KenPom’s prediction: UConn wins 80-77

Reaction Score
@Hey Adrien! Excellent job.. Who wins Timme/AS-DC battle and Andre/Strawther battle will be huge.. Our bench and DC's impact gives us separation. Our offense vs their defense.. Lets do this..

Reaction Score
6-4 vs Q1 ; 5-0 vs Q2

Best Win
    • Forced 21 turnovers

Worst Loss:

• 2nd w/ a 58.5 2p%
  • 10th w/ a 38.3 3p%
    • 295th w/ a 69.8 FT%
  • 180th in A/FGM (50.2%)

• 122nd in steal rate
  • 136th in block rate
    • Gregg’s 6.4% block rate would be 83rd in the nation if qualified w/ enough minutes

Other metrics:
  • 51st in height (6’6.1)

Offensive efficiency is nothing new for Mark Few: Gonzaga has finished the season #1 in offensive efficiency in three of the last four years and even finished within the top-ten in five of his first seven seasons at the helm, well before he was recruiting five-star recruits and impact transfers.

That focus on offense has typically skewed his teams to have weak defenses in comparison to the teams ranked similarly in the nation. Case in point, Gonzaga’s efficiency ranking this season is its lowest since the 2006-07 season and only Baylor, Missouri and Miami have lower efficiency ratings within the AP Top 25.

Long story short, Gonzaga wants to play fast and put points on the board: nine of their game point totals this season were 99 points or higher while they are just 2-5 when scoring 74 points or lower. The good news: UConn has the length, athleticism and defensive system that has the ability to slow down the Bulldogs…we’re coming off tournament games where opponents have scored an average of 61 points.

Aside from playing arguably the weakest defense UConn has played so far in the tournament, a big analytical advantage (nerds!) comes in Timme’s and Watson’s combined issues on the charity stripe. As seen above, teams foul this duo a ton (obviously, they have the ball in their hands a lot), but there is a sound strategy in a hack-a-Bulldog-frontcourt option, if necessary.

View attachment 85822

Simply put, Gonzaga’s strength is in their forwards and wings with Timme, Strawther and Watson the team’s minutes and scoring leaders.

Maybe it’s overconfidence, but UConn matches up well with Timme: yes, he’s an incredibly gifted offensive power forward, but Gonzaga has not seen a 1-2 punch at the 5 spot between Sanogo and Clingan. Not only will the duo share five fouls apiece when guarding Timme, but they both have a clear size and strength advantage over Timme. Timme’s strengths are his footwork, variety of post moves and passing ability (leads the team in assists).

To me, Watson is Gonzaga’s two-way X factor, but I see a lot of Saint Mary’s Kyle Bowen in Anton Watson: defense, physicality, length, smart player who keeps things simple in offense: while he will be a tough assignment for Karaban, especially with put backs and post ups, Karaban was battle tested between talented, strong 4s between Iona’s Nelly Junior Joseph and Bowen. Watson worries me the most when UConn is in low-post situations, but Sanogo has made major strides this year in kick outs when the pressure rises.

Strawther is Gonzaga’s best NBA prospect due to his size, BBIQ and shooting ability from all three levels, but as many have mentioned before Andre Jackson is tailor made to shadow him. He’s got the athletic ability to defend well, but he gets a bit of tunnel vision, especially in switching opportunities, so there’s a good chance Hurley could draw up sets to free up Jackson for easy basket opportunities (like that beautiful set from the Arkansas game where he was WIDE open on the baseline.

Gregg is the backup at both the 4 and the 5, with an NBA ready toolbox as a rim-running stretch forward who is also the team’s best rim protector.

As seen below, Few’s guard rotations are almost hockey shift-esque: the most offensive savvy starters of Hickman/Bolton and the stronger defensive duo of Sallis/Smith.

View attachment 85823

Bolton (Iowa State via Penn State) and Smith (Chattanooga via Wright State) are both former stars from their previous stops who have fit in beautifully in Few’s offensive scheme. Both were three-level, bucket-getting scorers in their previous stops, they have the ability to break down the defense to create their own offense and get to the line. Even though Bolton is the starter, both guards play similar minutes and, in my opinion, are interchangeably effective offensive players: Bolton is a quick shooter while Smith is the more physical two-way option.

On a team with multiple strong facilitators, both Hickman and Sallis are low-usage point guards. Hickman is smaller and the better shooter, but Newton’s size and length should give Hickman issues on defense. On the other end, Sallis is clearly Gonzaga’s best perimeter defender, but is Gonzaga’s only weak shooter from three. Sallis is also the better breakdown offensive player.

When UConn is on offense, I see clear matchup advantages for Newton/Hawkins/Big whenever their starters are on the floor while Jackson matches up with Strawther lovely on both ends.

Simply put, UConn has not seen an offense this talented so far this year, but you could also argue that Gonzaga has the worst defense since playing Providence in the BET.

Winning their last two games by three points, Gonzaga has walked a bit of a tight rope lately but obviously they are not taken lightly. They’ll try to push the tempo but I have a lot of confidence in Hurley’s halfcourt offensive set creativity to use the clock, when needed, to find open scorers.

It’s here! I’m giddy!

Nerd Alert GIF

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I almost lean towards let Timme get his and shut down Stawther and Watson.

You can waste a ton of fouls trying to stop him. I don't want Adama or Clingan wasting fouls going for every fakes, dip or drop from Timme. And the refs will give Timme benefit of the doubt.

I want Timme having to spend energy on defense guarding Sanogo and Clingan. Need them to stay out of foul trouble.

Reaction Score
We can beat this team. Should be a game where our guards go crazy. I have watched them and they basically have guards who play offense and guards who play defense, no two way perimeter guys. Assuming they come with the offensive guys, we need hawkins to toast them.

Downlow, I would love to drive at Timme both with our bigs and guards, if we can get him in foul trouble that means we win most of the time.

My biggest worry is the refs having a loose whistle, overall I think letting the boys play would be a big advantage to us.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I almost lean towards let Timme get his and shut down Stawther and Watson.

You can waste a ton of fouls trying to stop him. I don't want Adama or Clingan wasting fouls going for every fakes, dip or drop from Timme. And the refs will give Timme benefit of the doubt.

I want Timme having to spend energy on defense guarding Sanogo and Clingan. Need them to stay out of foul trouble.
Agree.

In the first half against UCLA, Timme was their entire offense yet the Zags were getting pummeled. I think he can hurt us , a lot more of we try to lock him down too much and end up with both Sanogo and Clingan fighting foul trouble all game than if he scores 28, 30, 32 points but they both play their games.

I think our one true concern would be foul trouble on our bigs.

Reaction Score
Not sure if anyone's mentioned this in another thread, but Adama should be able to drink water and eat something around half-time, maybe earlier if the games run late like the tend to do.
I'll drink to that!
And, if I were the coach or one of the players, I'd probably be too nerved up about this game (FF gate keeper) to eat or drink much of anything.
Forget all the numbers.
The only thing that matters is mind set. I'm hoping the good guys don't get too cocky, and yet can be somewhat relaxed and play with confidence.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Another great write up, just I the nick of time!

One piece I keep reading about (mainly from opposition scouting) is how teams have been able to slow down Oscar T. From Kentucky, so they feel they can handle Adama. One piece lost if people don't see is that UConn moves so well in their sets that he is able to catch the ball with defenders out of positions. He's able to seal his defender simply because of the offensive movement from everyone else. I'd be curious to see the percentage of his makes that come uncontested (subjective, but meaning not a traditional post up).

Reaction Score
Thanks Adrien. Been waiting for your report. Another great one. Seems like we really need to control the tempo and tire out Timme. And, please stay out of foul trouble. Guard the 3 point line.

Reaction Score
6-4 vs Q1 ; 5-0 vs Q2

Best Win
    • Forced 21 turnovers

Worst Loss:

• 2nd w/ a 58.5 2p%
  • 10th w/ a 38.3 3p%
    • 295th w/ a 69.8 FT%
  • 180th in A/FGM (50.2%)

• 122nd in steal rate
  • 136th in block rate

Other metrics:
  • 51st in height (6’6.1)

View attachment 85822

View attachment 85823

It’s here! I’m giddy!

Well done as always

1679761564272.gif

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Agree.

In the first half against UCLA, Timme was their entire offense yet the Zags were getting pummeled. I think he can hurt us , a lot more of we try to lock him down too much and end up with both Sanogo and Clingan fighting foul trouble all game than if he scores 28, 30, 32 points but they both play their games.

I also expect Timme to get at least one offensive foul called on Sanogo or Clingan with a flop. Timme has that old man YMCA pick up game in him, he's a senior and he knows how to work the officials for calls.

Reaction Score
Agree.

That's why I wanted to UCLA to win against Gonzaga. Sanogo and Clingan wouldn't have a center or post up player on UCLA that is really good on offense. My worst concern that I thought immediately when Gonzaga won against UCLA, like you and Chin Diesel said, was that Timme could get Sanogo and/or Clingan into foul trouble.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
That's why I wanted to UCLA to win against Gonzaga. Sanogo and Clingan wouldn't have a center or post up player on UCLA that is really good on offense. My worst concern that I thought immediately when Gonzaga won against UCLA, like you and Chin Diesel said, was that Timme could get Sanogo and/or Clingan into foul trouble.
This is my personal view (in terms of mojo, karma, however one wants to view it) but I never actively root for what may be perceived as a more favorable matchup out of concern that the preferred matchup may well end up having been a mistake.

I still fully believe that this year what we need to worry about is ourselves (focus, intensity), not the opponent.

But I also believe this:

Doom---34.jpg

Reaction Score
This is my personal view (in terms of mojo, karma, however one wants to view it) but I never actively root for what may be perceived as a more favorable matchup out of concern that the preferred matchup may well end up having been a mistake.

I still fully believe that this year what we need to worry about is ourselves (focus, intensity), not the opponent.

But I also believe this:

View attachment 85846
oh yes, I understand. If UCLA pulled off the win vs Gonzaga, I wouldn't have dared to type "I am glad UConn got UCLA" or something to that extent. I think a lot of people here, and maybe even me to a certain extent, had a little overconfidence when UConn played against Marquette in the semis of the BET.

Reaction Score
Great breakdown as usual. Clearly they are an excellent team and winning will be difficult. I think we have more advantageous matchups than disadvantageous ones. One factor not discussed in the analysis is coaching and I’ll focus on Few here. The guy can flat out coach and is probably one of the very best in the country. Watching the UCLA game, Gonzaga looked almost helpless to stop the Bruins in the first half. Few obviously made some adjustments at halftime and boy were they effective. We’re up against not just their players but their coach. If we punch, they will counterpunch. We need to be ready with a counter-counter punch.

Reaction Score
Will Time eat Clingan alive? DC and his crew have boosted our offense when they come in.

Reaction Score
Seems like their one glaring deficiency is not defending the 3 very well (or the 2 for that matter). A good shooting day for us -- including getting Hawkins going in the 1st half -- would really have them behind the 8 ball.

I'm a lot more optimistic about Sanogo defending Timme than Clingan, who I fear will be badly overmatched in quickness and savvy. Keeping Sanogo out of foul trouble is paramount, and this may be a game where we use Sanogo for 32 minutes and Clingan for only 4 per half. Given their outside shooting propensities and Timme's passing ability, I would not look to double. The last thing we want is Timme to pass to open cutters and shooters.

Otherwise on defense, running them off the 3 point line as we typically do is going to pay dividends. They don't shoot a ton of 3s, but make a very high percentage. Forcing them into 1 on 1 dribble drives takes them out of their element.

Reaction Score
2-2-1 press to wear down their legs. Box and 1 on defense. Maybe assign Jackson to face guard Timmay to deny him the ball. He can use his athleticism to make up for the height disadvantage.

Reaction Score
Go hard at the guards, make them defend the kick and the dumpoff, get them into foul trouble. Give Timme his but don't get burned by 3s.

Jackson, Newton, Hawkins and Alleyne need to exploit their guards on drives.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom