OT: - Golf lessons- any value? | The Boneyard

OT: Golf lessons- any value?

Reaction Score
Hi, I'm a mediocre golfer at best despite playing for 30 years. Basically, all parts of my game suck- can't seem to hit two good shots in a row, and for me a bogey is a good score with some occasional pars.
If anyone has taken golf lessons, what was the most valuable tip or improvement to your game?
It kills me to swing so hard at the ball & even when I make clean contact, it never goes as far as I expect. How do the pros do it? They don't even swing hard.
By the way, I saw a YouTube video that made sense and I'm trying to do this- here is the link

Reaction Score
They swing fast, it just doesn't look like it. Also helps they hit the center of the club face every time.

Get a lesson from a local PGA pro or assistant. They'll probably adjust your posture, grip and alignment and that will make an immediate impact.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Years ago with a friend went to a golF academy in Hilton Head. I always drove and putted pretty well. For me, the most help was on bunker shots. That fix lasted a few years. The pro taped my swing L at the wrap up session. He said my swing reminded him
of Ernie Els. There must be another Ernie Els. He was definitely fishing for a big tip. The problem with a tape is unlike pris, most amateurs can’t visualize from the tape to the actual swing.

Lessons are ok if your expectations are not too high. Find a local teaching pro and see if you can get references first.
P

Reaction Score
I’ve taken a couple lessons and the best part is that they will point out what you’re doing wrong. YouTube videos are good but you’re watching them but they’re not watching you.
And don’t compare yourself with the pros. We know that we can’t play like the NBA pros, why would we be able to play like the PGA pros? Lol

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I took a couple of lessons as a complete novice in preparation for the local tavern scramble. I thought he helped a ton. I hit some decent shots and had a good time.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
If you have a good teaching pro lessons make a world of difference. My instructor pointed out problems in my setup and posture that were really hampering my game.

Conversely, a crappy coach just makes things worse....

I highly recommend Nicole Damarjian at Tallwood in Hebron.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you have a good teaching pro lessons make a world of difference. My instructor pointed out problems in my setup and posture that were really hampering my game.

I highly recommend Nicole Damarjian at Tallwood in Glastonbury.
Tallwood is in Hebron

Reaction Score
Hi, I'm a mediocre golfer at best despite playing for 30 years. Basically, all parts of my game suck- can't seem to hit two good shots in a row, and for me a bogey is a good score with some occasional pars.
If anyone has taken golf lessons, what was the most valuable tip or improvement to your game?
It kills me to swing so hard at the ball & even when I make clean contact, it never goes as far as I expect. How do the pros do it? They don't even swing hard.
By the way, I saw a YouTube video that made sense and I'm trying to do this- here is the link

Lessons can't hurt what area are you in?

Reaction Score

I highly recommend Nicole Damarjian at Tallwood in Glastonbury.

Nobilski the pro himself is one of the top teachers in the state at Tallwood also.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I did a 6 pack of lessons while we've been in lockdown. I've played a handful of times but basically wanted to be able to go out with friends and family and not embarrass myself. I think it's worth getting outside tips, suggestions for slight adjustments and talking about various shots. Stuff he showed me I would never have known about. A lot of it is repetition but it's a frustrating game.

Baltic

Baltic
Reaction Score
Have taken lessons on and off. Didn’t really start playing the game until my 50’s. A good teaching pro can always find some flaw that needs correction and some hints as to what is going on in your particular golf swing. Remember that your current swing is your natural swing so you will always be fighting it and it will always want to take over.

Best tip I ever got from an instructor was that every golf swing starts with a shoulder turn. Without that shoulder turn you will be swinging with your arms and will sacrifice considerable distance.

Reaction Score
I'll check locally for pro recommendations- I'm not in CT but live southern NH near Keene. The comment about the shoulder turn seems like what I need to do more, but when I really try to turn the shoulders, my head is like one of those Tiki dolls moving all over the place.

Reaction Score
There was a thread about 2 years ago on this subject. There's some good information in there.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I don't know. I tried lessons. He wanted to change my grip. I am an okay golfer. I still have one shot that screws my travel to the pin. Par 5. Nice drive. 3 wood okay. Then really mess up my pitching wedge. Now I am in trouble. I had a pro in Georgia tell me. You want to be a good golfer? PLAY. You will find your way. Dealing with back and hip issues messes up my driver. When i had knee replacement, that side lined me for months. Amazing. I don't have a handicap anymore. Not worth it for me. However being a partner in Best Ball? Count me in. Anyway, play as much as you can.

Reaction Score
Lessons can definitely help your game but take what you learn to the driving range before you hit the course. Like anything else you want to get better, Practice Practice and Practice some more.

Reaction Score
My advice on golf lessons: don’t go to a multi-day golf school, but do take short individual lessons with a pro. The pro should be trying to tweak your game not completely rebuild it as that could negatively impact your game. After each lesson, go to the driving range a couple of times to work on what the pro taught you before the next lesson. If you are uncomfortable with the pro after two lessons, look for another pro to help you. Sometimes, you will not click with a pro or a teacher.

As for multi-day golf schools, they try to teach you too much and it can really mess with your game.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not a big fan of lessons and my score card proves it.

What I do know for beginners is lessons can be invaluable for a couple of areas.

1. Grip. Proper hand placement and pressure. Arnie was a huge believer of it and one thing everyone agrees on is regardless of size, age, strength, or any other variable, a poor grip and hand placement makes everything else harder.
2. Stance. Learning proper distance from the ball, proper knee bend, back angle and shoulder alignment is the second part of it pre shot set up. Learning how to do this properly up front and getting the muscle memory down is a great way to spend some money. None of us hackers are going to get shoulder turn, or torso rotation like the pros; you need to learn what you body is able to give you.
3. Chipping. Learning how to do a simple bump and run around the green and something resembling a flop shot. You won't be great, but learning how to get the ball on the green in one shot when you are around the green is a huge stroke and time saver. All you need to do is aim for the fat part of the green and get the ball on the putting surface. Hacking back and forth across the green is bad for your score and won't endear you to any playing partner. Those two shots- bump and run when you can access the green and a lofted shot for going over hazards (bunkers, water, etc) are great to learn early on.
4. That's it for your first year. Learn four things- how to hold a club, how to stand over the ball and two rescue shots.

You can learn to putt on your own for no cost. Go out to the putting green with 2 or 3 balls and start with 12" putts and learn the speed. Move it back to 18" and then go to 3/4/5/10 feet and just learn how hard to hit the ball. Again, you won't be great but learning how to get the ball near the hole is much less frustrating than ramming a 5' putt 10' past the hole.

And yes, play the forward tees or front men's tees while you are learning. Getting the ball in play off the tee is a huge factor in keeping your score reasonable.

I've put much more attention on the practice range on #1 and #3 this year and it's finally starting to come together. Going out after lunch today for 18 and currently have decent expectations for a good round.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Lessons can help for sure. Just don't expect to become Ernie Els. Grip is something many people have wrong (I did for years). Another useful way to improve is to play with better players. One of them fixed my grip early last year. I also rely on my friends to remind me when I resume my bad habit of very fast backswings with the driver.

That said, I have found that the instructional articles in Golf Digest did actually help me. Not with everything, but you can certainly understand that there may be an approach to a shot that you are just doing wrong. Sand shots are an example. Simple things like where to put the ball between your feet on different shots. You can learn a lot about shots around the green from reading what Tom Watson has to say. Nobody was better.

With lessons, if you do something "wrong" but well, don't change it. I'm much better at lobbing pitch shots and dropping them near the pin than I am with pitch and roll, even though the latter should be easier and is the "right" shot in many situations.

Reaction Score
My advice on golf lessons: don’t go to a multi-day golf school, but do take short individual lessons with a pro. The pro should be trying to tweak your game not completely rebuild it as that could negatively impact your game. After each lesson, go to the driving range a couple of times to work on what the pro taught you before the next lesson. If you are uncomfortable with the pro after two lessons, look for another pro to help you. Sometimes, you will not click with a pro or a teacher.

As for multi-day golf schools, they try to teach you too much and it can really mess with your game.
This to me is spot on.

my pro had me focus on one thing each week. Then each week he built on it and added another fix. Started with hand position then takeaway and setup

I started played in my mid twenties so not a natural game for me. stopped playing for about 7 years but with lockdown started again.

I take a 1 hr lesson once/week and play 1-2x Hit the range at least once. My playing partners have noticed the change. I still flub plenty of shots but now hitting more clean shots. And they fly a lot better

watching video is great but unless u r watching video of yourself too u have no idea what u r really doing. I still remember taking ski racing lessons in college. When I saw the video my first thought was who’s the crappy skier that stole my jacket. :eek:

better to take a few lessons so you practice the right stuff. Practicing with bad form will only reinforce it

Reaction Score
I was getting some solid lessons from a guy in Central MA a few springs ago.. I'd been with him about half a dozen times, then he called me the a completely different name for one of our lessons, like not even close... for a whole hour. I was so turned off that I never went back. Petty I know, but c'mon bro...

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score

This might be TL/DR, but worth recounting (for me, anyway ;)). It depends on the teacher, so get a good one, and doing it over a long period rather than looking for a quick fix. I am nearly entirely self taught, batting around plastic balls in the back yard using my mother's little-used irons when I was 9 or 10. Got myself a starter set and played public links (Rockledge and Tunxis and the old Canton 9 hole course). Hit fades and slices for a long time, but I could usually control it, and regularly broke 100, but just barely.

Didn't play at all in college, except a couple of times each summer, then only a few times in med school, and also rarely in residency. During my fellowship in sports medicine I lived a stone's throw from a nice but short public course in Pennsylvania, and close to another better one, and played more regularly. The fade/slice ticked me off, and one day I headed to the range determined to learn to draw the ball. After about an hour I got the feel of a flatter swing plane and proper weight shift and turn, and began to draw/hook the ball. I was much more consistent, usually a controllable draw off the tee, much straighter with the irons and haven't hit slices since. Still all self taught.

However, I'd get into stretches with vicious hooks (and the occasional shank) that would balloon my scores. So I did go for a week at a golf academy at Sugarloaf in Maine about 4 years after that, wanting to be even more consistent and be able to correct those hooks/shanks more quickly. The pro watched us hit on the range for a short while. Instead of working to get me to understand my swing and setup better he just told me to aim further right and play the hook. About the only thing I got out of his teaching was better understanding of sand play.

Bottom line: I taught myself, worked out the hook/shank thing on my own by improving my posture, setup, grip, ball position and swing plane on my own, and my HC was as low as 7, though I'm a 10-12 now as I'm not playing nearly enough. If a pro will help you do those things, great. If he just wants to make your ugly shots find the short grass, then he's not helping you swing better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom