Glenn Nelson on Jewel & Kaleena | The Boneyard

Glenn Nelson on Jewel & Kaleena

Status
Not open for further replies.

HGN

Reaction Score
Nice article Wbbfan...........Thanks for posting.

Reaction Score
I have friends in Seattle who are gonna love KML! They are already looking forward to going to the games (especially after last season's poor showing).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
He still likes Moriah and thinks she'll be the #2 pick.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Interesting paragraph:

At HoopGurlz, we didn’t rank Loyd as the best prospect in her class because we couldn’t. At the top was Breanna Stewart, a game-changing, once-in-a-decade type of player and slam-dunk top pick in next year’s draft. Right after her was Moriah Jefferson, also at Connecticut, who has the hands, ball skills and defensive bona fides to match any point guard in the WNBA. Loyd likely would have been taken only as high as No. 3 in 2016.

The clear implication is that Mo would be to No. 2 pick. Strange that she isn't even a Top 5 All-America. Nor mentioned it the same breath as Loyd and Mitchell when the "best guard" is discussed. Mighty odd.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Interesting paragraph:

At HoopGurlz, we didn’t rank Loyd as the best prospect in her class because we couldn’t. At the top was Breanna Stewart, a game-changing, once-in-a-decade type of player and slam-dunk top pick in next year’s draft. Right after her was Moriah Jefferson, also at Connecticut, who has the hands, ball skills and defensive bona fides to match any point guard in the WNBA. Loyd likely would have been taken only as high as No. 3 in 2016.

The clear implication is that Mo would be to No. 2 pick. Strange that she isn't even a Top 5 All-America. Nor mentioned it the same breath as Loyd and Mitchell when the "best guard" is discussed. Mighty odd.
Totally agree and the reason, IMHO, that what you wrote was the norm in WCBB was twofold. First, Mo plays the 1 and at that position, tends to pass more than score. She ended the season averaging about 13 PPG while Loyd was around 20 PPG. Second, the hype factor. For whatever reason, ND and Muffet framed the conversation for the "guards" and Loyd (and Tiffany and Kelsey Mitchell) were all listed at the top whenever guards were mentioned. Sure Moriah won the NLK award, but she wasn't usually mentioned among the game's best "guards" whenever the conversation came up.

I honestly think Mo doesn't care at all who says what. She won the award for the nation's top PG as a junior and will win it again next year. She's led her team to 3 straight NC's and if she wins #4, will be hands down the greatest PG to ever play at UCONN bar none, and possible the greatest PG in the history of WCBB.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Interesting paragraph:

Some people know Talent (Jefferson/Stewie) and some don't even in the Pro ranks. I love that he stated the obvious: Stewie will go number one , Jefferson number 2 and Loyd (if she was in the next years draft) would be number 3---LOVE IT!!!

Reaction Score
Some people know Talent (Jefferson/Stewie) and some don't even in the Pro ranks. I love that he stated the obvious: Stewie will go number one , Jefferson number 2 and Loyd (if she was in the next years draft) would be number 3---LOVE IT!!!
Depends on the needs of the teams next year and how the year would've went for the players.

I think Stewie still goes #1 and Loyd goes #2.

Reaction Score
Totally agree and the reason, IMHO, that what you wrote was the norm in WCBB was twofold. First, Mo plays the 1 and at that position, tends to pass more than score. She ended the season averaging about 13 PPG while Loyd was around 20 PPG. Second, the hype factor. For whatever reason, ND and Muffet framed the conversation for the "guards" and Loyd (and Tiffany and Kelsey Mitchell) were all listed at the top whenever guards were mentioned. Sure Moriah won the NLK award, but she wasn't usually mentioned among the game's best "guards" whenever the conversation came up.

I honestly think Mo doesn't care at all who says what. She won the award for the nation's top PG as a junior and will win it again next year. She's led her team to 3 straight NC's and if she wins #4, will be hands down the greatest PG to ever play at UCONN bar none, and possible the greatest PG in the history of WCBB.

I love MoJeff. But the greatest PG? NO way!!!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I love MoJeff. But the greatest PG? NO way!!!!
Name one who led her team to 4 NC's. Can't, can you. Best ever? absolutely and it's not even really close as to who #2 would be.

Reaction Score
I think Moriah has a chance to be the best. But to say she led the team to the NC her freshman season is just wrong. She contributed definitely, but she averaged 17 minutes a game, less than 5 points that year. She did improve during the tournament to 19 minutes, 6.8 points, and 2.0 assists in the tournament, but a freshman pg who played less than half the game was not leading the team.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I also don't think the Stewie vs D comparison is fair based on 4 vs 3 NC'S if it happens. Diana carried some good role players on her back without a true 2nd star. And Maria Conlon as the starting pt guard. Stewie I think is much much more fortunate with her supporting cast than D was her last 2 yr's. Barb Turner, Ashley Battle, and the center from Alaska- duh??? D was like a pack mule carrying that team and getting pounded every game to boot.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Bria Hartley (PG/SG) and Dolson (stretch PG :oops:) "led" them during Moriah's first 2 yrs

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I also don't think the Stewie vs D comparison is fair based on 4 vs 3 NC'S if it happens. Diana carried some good role players on her back without a true 2nd star. And Maria Conlon as the starting pt guard. Stewie I think is much much more fortunate with her supporting cast than D was her last 2 yr's. Barb Turner, Ashley Battle, and the center from Alaska- duh??? D was like a pack mule carrying that team and getting pounded every game to boot.
the GREAT Jessica Moore
upload_2015-4-21_0-22-38.jpeg

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Don't sell those players short. Jessica on a torn ACL making plays down the stretch! Barb the second coming of Jamelle, Willnett the original Ms March, Ann, Ashley. They may not have been able to carry the team to NCs after Diana left, but they were not chopped liver. And some of them had very nice pro careers as well.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Don't sell those players short. Jessica on a torn ACL making plays down the stretch! Barb the second coming of Jamelle, Willnett the original Ms March, Ann, Ashley. They may not have been able to carry the team to NCs after Diana left, but they were not chopped liver. And some of them had very nice pro careers as well.
True- and I forgot Jessica's acl! And Crocket came up huge in semis vs a big Texas team I think- or we don't go to NC! And no one played harder than Barb T in the history of UC! She played like she was 6'3"- huge heart!
I loved everyone of them- my point is that D really had to carry less talent to 2 NC'S around her than Stewie does or has around her these two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom