Glad Britany Griner is gone... | The Boneyard

Glad Britany Griner is gone...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know it's not her fault for being 11 feet tall but she screwed up WCBB and the way things aught to be. It was like watching the Little League World Series and see some 6'5" 12 year old on the mound, mowing down little kids. Yes the rules allowed it but it wasn't really sport.

Reaction Score
I know it's not her fault for being 11 feet tall but she screwed up WCBB and the way things aught to be. It was like watching the Little League World Series and see some 6'5" 12 year old on the mound, mowing down little kids. Yes the rules allowed it but it wasn't really sport.

You are aware, I assume, that that was exactly what happened in the Little League World Series this year.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
And yet, for being 11 feet tall, she graduates with only one national title.

I'm not a BG fan, but I think you overstate her dominance. Her advantages were (and are) obvious, yet her rebounding numbers weren't what you might expect from someone her size. Her scoring, while impressive, was limited by her lack of range. Her on-the-court persona could be petulant, and her play chippy.

When you look at her (thus far) relative lack of impact on the professional level, and her lack of play in international basketball, some of these deficiencies become a bit more obvious than when BG is dominating Baylor's OOC schedule, or the weaker teams in the Big 12.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

I'm not a BG fan, but I think you overstate her dominance. Her advantages were (and are) obvious, yet her rebounding numbers weren't what you might expect from someone her size. Her scoring, while impressive, was limited by her lack of range. Her on-the-court persona could be petulant, and her play chippy.

When you look at her (thus far) relative lack of impact on the professional level, and her lack of play in international basketball, some of these deficiencies become a bit more obvious than when BG is dominating Baylor's OOC schedule, or the weaker teams in the Big 12.
Scoring and blocking were impressive. I'll blame some of the persona on the abuse she apparently took.

As to the professional level (i.e. the W) lets see what here impact is when she is both healthy and well coached. Well, hopefully well coached. Last season she was hampered by injuries, a generally discombobulated situation and a coaching situation in flux.

I do think that she needs to play internationally to truly develop.

Reaction Score
... I'm not a BG fan, but I think you overstate her dominance. Her advantages were (and are) obvious, yet her rebounding numbers weren't what you might expect from someone her size. Her scoring, while impressive, was limited by her lack of range. Her on-the-court persona could be petulant, and her play chippy...

You have to admit that, being 11 feet tall and all, she did dominate the media.

Reaction Score
You have to admit that, being 11 feet tall and all, she did dominate the media.
Unfortunately, you don't get any banners for beating the media. (By the way, you are exaggerating her height. She was really only 10 feet 11 inches tall).

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm one of those fans who enjoys good games, but obviously as a UCONN fan, I prefer to see UCONN roll any time they play. Against a team like ND, Duke, Tennessee, L'ville, etc, no margin of victory would be too much for me to enjoy.

I enjoyed seeing Griner play in college. I thought her physical gifts were unique and great for the game. It forced teams to devise a unique game play every time they faced Baylor. More than her being gone, I'm also "glad" the other seniors in her class are gone from Baylor because that's one less team who is strong enough to challenge UCONN.

I really wish we played ND this season because I think when all teams are at full strength, they are the best equipped to give UCONN a close game. I'd rather not have to find that out in the NCAA's. I think Duke has more talent than anyone not named UCONN, but they have traditionally been a really bad matchup for UCONN (the past several years).

Reaction Score
I'm at a loss as to why there would be a focus on Brittney. She had zero effect on UConn accomplishing their goal... winning National Championships. UConn won 2 while she was in the college. The 2 years UConn didn't win, they lost to ND (not Baylor) in the final four.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Well, other than kind of using the old mean song lyrics "I'll be glad when you're dead, you rascal you," and saying you in effect hate going up against the best, and maybe saying something whiny that would make UConn fans look bad to any passing Bear visitor hear, and being happy that WCBB has one less (and very big, around 10'11" or 11' I hear) media magnet for itself, and possibly alluding to other elements wrapped around BG that certainly the Baylor admins are relieved not to have to deal with anymore, and demeaning the beating that Louisville gave the Bears last year because "it wasn't really sport," and bluntly stating to very tall women that they are unfair to the game because maybe it's just meant for 5-footers, and being happy that a fascinatingly different aspect of WCBB play that helped expand the women's game is now moved on, and throwing a wet towel on the previous four years' stirring UConn-Baylor games ---- nah, absolutely nothing wrong with anything you said. I'm just surprised there isn't twenty more threads running on the same topic here.

Oops, forgot I wasn't in Knoxville anymore.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
To me, one thing that makes wcbb watchable is the scarcity of dunks. Stay below the rim, ladies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I'm glad The Thrill is gone. I'm too old for that.
You're talking about Will "The Thrill" Clark of the SF Giants I assume. Me too about his being gone, as he did some mean things to my Dodgers when he played, but I didn't know he ever posted here. Supposedly he is the reason pitchers now cover their mouths with their gloves when having a chat on the mound with their catchers following an incident where he read Greg Maddux's lips while watching from the plate and promptly hit a grand slam on the first pitch.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
You're talking about Will "The Thrill" Clark of the SF Giants I assume. Me too about his being gone, as he did some mean things to my Dodgers when he played, but I didn't know he ever posted here. Supposedly he is the reason pitchers now cover their mouths with their gloves when having a chat on the mound with their catchers following an incident where he read Greg Maddux's lips while watching from the plate and promptly hit a grand slam on the first pitch.

Reaction Score
Scoring and blocking were impressive. I'll blame some of the persona on the abuse she apparently took.

As to the professional level (i.e. the W) lets see what here impact is when she is both healthy and well coached. Well, hopefully well coached. Last season she was hampered by injuries, a generally discombobulated situation and a coaching situation in flux.

I do think that she needs to play internationally to truly develop.

I like(d) watching her play. She dominated women's college basketball (individually) in her years with Baylor (much the same way UCONN is doing it now) even though the strongarm tactics worked against her (a few times).

IMO she never has been coached to reach her potential in college or the pros. The first pro coach tried to last year but the season is too short and he was under pressure to make the playoffs so they had to change the way they played. She also was injured for much of the season.

Wish I had a shot at coaching her.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Griner Dominance?????

Louisville 82 Baylor 81

Griner 4-10 FG; 6-8 FT; 10 boards; 14 points; 2 blocks; 3 steals; 3 TOs

1 Championship; 3 final 4s

Dominance...yeah...at her position...probably best center...overall impacting dominance? Not really.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Which defencicies do you feel that Geno exposed, out of curiosity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom