OT: - Give your best sports trivia question (rules in thread) | Page 12 | The Boneyard

OT: Give your best sports trivia question (rules in thread)

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Actually Foxx hit 60 that year but two of them were during games that were rained out and didn’t count. Back in those days they didn’t count stats in rainouts, so he only got credit for 58.
As it was well before my time I can't definitively claim that this is true but allegedly until some point in the early 1920's (when home runs were viewed of greater importance), if a home run ended a game (bottom of ninth or extra innings) and a baserunner ahead of the batter scored the winning run, the game stopped there and the batter was credited with whatever hit would have brought that runner in (similar to today where what would have been a bases clearing double at any prior point in the game being a single and one RBI in the botttom of the ninth of a tie game). Supposedly Babe Ruth hit five or six of these in his first couple of seasons with the Yankees that weren't counted as home runs.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
As it was well before my time I can't definitively claim that this is true but allegedly until some point in the early 1920's (when home runs were viewed of greater importance), if a home run ended a game (bottom of ninth or extra innings) and a baserunner ahead of the batter scored the winning run, the game stopped there and the batter was credited with whatever hit would have brought that runner in (similar to today where what would have been a bases clearing double at any prior point in the game being a single and one RBI in the botttom of the ninth of a tie game). Supposedly Babe Ruth hit five or six of these in his first couple of seasons with the Yankees that weren't counted as home runs.
I know a rule was changed, but the current rule says something like the batter is credited for as many bases as the winning run needed to score. So if a runner is on first, a triple could be scored, if on second, then a double, if on third, then a single. An over the wall HR is an HR, but apparently a rule book double might only be a single, which seems weird.

And then you've got Robin Ventura's walk off over the wall grand slam single. As his teammates mobbed him, he only got to touch first. Which caused problems in Vegas...
Sports books in Las Vegas were put into an unusual situation with the "single." If Ventura had completed his trip around the bases, the final score would have been 7–3, in which case the game would have gone "over" the over–under line, which was 71⁄2. Instead, the final score of 4–3 put the game "under," meaning that many bettors who would have received payouts (if the hit was ruled a home run) did not.

Reaction Score
Bummer

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I have no idea who Brooke Nevin is, nor what you'd consider a "minor celebrity" these days, but I'll wager that Tim Horton's daughter is worth more than any of the other kids.
Brooke Nevin is an actress (not sure what she's been in but she made it rent free into the head of @HuskyinWRNY ). I can't say that I blame him.
Brooke.jpg

The guy on the left is Ted irvine. The one on the right is his son Chris Jericho. The father was by no means a goon, a tall, thin, solid defensive forward for the Rangers during a number of near miss cup runs. If he was a bot more like his son we would have been able to handle the Flyers in 1974.
Irvine-Jericho.jpg

I imagine the Rangers/WWE connection makes this a double winner in the eyes of @dvegas and @August_West

Reaction Score
Who made the 1st unassisted triple play in MLB.

When a kid in Bridgeport in late 1950's local fathers got together and started a little league. Us kids went to sell "tickets" to support the team for 1$. Went to a house a few doors down the street and there was this old guy living there and he invited me into his house and told me he had played MLB many years ago (he was a teammate of Cy Young, yes that Cy Young). He had pictures of himself as a player and an old glove and proudly noted that he was the 1st major leaguer to record an unassisted triple play. He died a few months after my visit.

Reaction Score
I have another one for you. Who hit 60 home runs in 1932?
Actually 63 in 1930 playing for the Baltimore Orioles he also hit 69 for Minneapolis
those were pretty small parks.
i had to cheat to remember this guy so I won’t give his name

My first thought was one of my hero’s and a tragic guy
Tony Lazzari who I knew hit 60 but it was in 1925 playing the Pacific Coast league
In the majors.
He also hit for the cycle (1-14 guys ) got 11 RBI’s in a game and hit two grand slams in one game. but he was in the majors in 1930 .
He finally got in the HOF fairly resentful.
He was a member of the first American League All Star team.

Reaction Score
I know Bill Wambsganss (sp??) did the unassisted triple play in 1920, don't know if that's the first.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Pretty much everyone knows Lou Gehrig replaced Wally Pipp at 1b and proceeded to play 2,130 consecutive games there. But who took over 1b when Lou was finally forced out of the lineup due to his ALS?

Reaction Score
NFL QB Brandon Weeden was drafted by which MLB team?

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Pretty much everyone knows Lou Gehrig replaced Wally Pipp at 1b and proceeded to play 2,130 consecutive games there. But who took over 1b when Lou was finally forced out of the lineup due to his ALS?
I believe Babe Dahlgren

Reaction Score
Who was it in March 2001, who closed my and all State offices at noon that day due to a blizzard, whom, 5-6 (?) hours later was sitting in Section 109 Row L, aisle, 7-8 rows behind me, Gampel.., at the Women's Big East Basketball Tourney......??

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Their have been three perfect games in Yankee History

Who threw them
they all connected in a bizarre manner
How
In the last one their was another weird coincidence
What was it

Reaction Score

Who threw them
How
What was it
Wanna say Cone Larsen and the guy last year that they waived who had a drinking problem.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score

Who threw them
How
What was it
David Wells went to the same High School (a few decades later) as Don Larsen, who happened to throw out the first pitch (to Yogi, as Yogi had recently forgiven his grudge towards Steinbrenner that kept him away for fifteen years) on the day Wells threw his perfect game.

Madman is correct that there is a fourth (Domingo German last season).

Reaction Score
David Wells went to the same High School (a few decades later) as Don Larsen, who happened to throw out the first pitch (to Yogi, as Yogi had recently forgiven his grudge towards Steinbrenner that kept him away for fifteen years) on the day Wells threw his perfect game.

Madman is correct that there is a fourth (Domingo German last season).
You right I just watch a YouTube video and thought would be a good question
i should have said in the old Yankee Stadium .

Your also right Don Larsen with Yogi catching in 1956 and
Dave Wells and Don Larsen went to the same HS but both pitched perfect games in HS and the Yankees
When David Cone threw his it was on the day Yogi‘s number was retired
Larsen threw out the first pitch to Yogi
The final and craziest coincidence was
the Yankees ground crew had two large 8‘s on each side of home plate and David threw 88 pitches that day .

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
You right I just watch a YouTube video and thought would be a good question
i should have said in the old Yankee Stadium .

Your also right Don Larsen with Yogi catching in 1956 and
Dave Wells and Don Larsen went to the same HS but both pitched perfect games in HS and the Yankees
When David Cone threw his it was on the day Yogi‘s number was retired
Larsen threw out the first pitch to Yogi
The final and craziest coincidence was
the Yankees ground crew had two large 8‘s on each side of home plate and David threw 88 pitches that day .
You may want to check on when Yogi's number (also Bill Dickey's) was retired.

Beyond that, very good stuff.

MLB.Com

Reaction Score
You may want to check on when Yogi's number (also Bill Dickey's) was retired.

Beyond that, very good stuff.

MLB.Com
I wasn’t sure so I did double check because I wasn’t sure the first article read said 8 was retired that. day but other articles say previously I know Bill Dickey wore 8 also .

I was amazed how many Yankee numbers are retired
1-10
15 Munson
16 Ford
20 Posada
23 Mattingly
32 Howard
37 Casey and My HS number
42 Rivera
44 Reggie
46 Pettite
49 Guidry
51 Williams

It’s a tad overkill
A good question is who would you take off
I know who I would take off with no disrespect to their careers .

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I wasn’t sure so I did double check because I wasn’t sure the first article read said 8 was retired that. day but other articles say previously I know Bill Dickey wore 8 also .

I was amazed how many Yankee numbers are retired
1-10
15 Munson
16 Ford
20 Posada
23 Mattingly
32 Howard
37 Casey and My HS number
42 Rivera
44 Reggie
46 Pettite
49 Guidry
51 Williams

It’s a tad overkill
A good question is who would you take off
I know who I would take off with no disrespect to their careers .
I've been a Yankee fan since before Mickey retired and I've felt for decades that they've gone too far with this.

If it we up to me the retired numbers would be:

2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 15, 16, 37, 42

I would consider something like a wall of honor for the bulk of the remaining numbers from the retired list but even with that there are a couple that I'm not sure belong, especially as some players from the mid 1920's to the mid 1960's dynasties would be more deserving. Unfortunately, as they predated Steinbrenner's ownership they aren't viewed as significant.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom