Give it time... Deleone needs his own players? | The Boneyard

Give it time... Deleone needs his own players?

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fortebleedsblue

That is complete BS and I'm calling it out now. There are people on here who would defend Grob if he was our coach. Lets put a few things into perspective here with a few questions.... Did Don Brown need years of recruiting and setting up to turn UConn's defense into one of the best in the nation? Did Brady Hoke need years of his own recruits to take a depressed Michigan program with an aweful defense to a BCS Bowl.. Let alone win it? I don't buy the BS that we don't have other play makers on offense and that mccombs is our best bet. Griffen is a big time player who hardly ever gets used, Michael Smith was our top return guy a few years ago, Nick Williams is a real threat anywhere on the field, we heard and saw Phillips's talent at blue and white, Joe Williams is supposedly elusive. Mccombs doesn't have to be the end all be all but to deleoone he is. 111th in passing in the nation, 101 in the nation for rushing? Are you kidding me?! We are going backwards offensively... It's like asking to give Grob more time after the seasons he had? It isn't like Uconn is playing Alabama or Oregon here .... Stop making excuses and callng them 'logic' like there's something you know that the rest of us don't. If Don Brown didn't come to Uconn with Deleone I'm not sure some of you wouldn't be so quick to defend him. Thank god for our special teams and defense to help put some points on the board.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
When I saw the title I thought to myself "Is Forte becoming a voice of reason? What is this world coming to?"

I should have known better before clicking the link.

One thing I believe is that prior to yesterday, DeLeone was not willing to scale back the play calling based on personnel, so he would have needed 'his recruits' (more specifically, recruits who handle all of the complexities he is throwing at them and still perform at very high levels). Hopefully at some point soon we will find equilibrium.

As for yesterday, I'm glad we showed a vanilla offense. This is a game that a year ago we would have lost because we would have gotten a bit too risky on offense with a lead. It wasn't perfect and the offense may not have been pretty but coming out with a W was beautiful!

Reaction Score
When I saw the title I thought to myself "Is Forte becoming a voice of reason? What is this world coming to?"

One thing I believe is that prior to yesterday, DeLeone was not willing to scale back the play calling based on personnel, so he would have needed 'his recruits' (more specifically, recruits who handle all of the complexities he is throwing at them and still perform at very high levels). Hopefully at some point soon we will find equilibrium.

As for yesterday, I'm glad we showed a vanilla offense. This is a game that a year ago we would have lost because we would have gotten a bit too risky on offense with a lead. It wasn't perfect and the offense may not have been pretty but coming out with a W was beautiful!

Sorry, but I don't see how anyone can argue AGAINST Forte here. Do we need to see another 9 games of this crap on offense for the rest of us to realize the coaches are making it damn near impossible for these players to succeed and score points? The wildcat worked for 1 drive all season. So that's justification for Deleone to consistently throw McCummings in there every other play and get no slack for it?!?!? This offense should be a spread it out finesse offense and not a power attack. The offensive line isn't there. So, why not spread it out, get our playmakers on the field and do what these kids can do best. 3 of Smith/Phillips/Davis/Williams should be on the field every play. Griffen should be our pass catching tight end. DeLeone's love affair with using Delahunt because of his 'blocking abilities' is a disgrace. Delahunt has as much a chance of breaking a tackle than Forte himself. The offense is the problem and it has NOTHING to do with the players. The gameplans DeLeone is putting together is the single reason why this offense doesn't score points.

Reaction Score

You are right that winning is most important, but what Deleone is doing offensively is totally going against what P stated as his goal when he took over. Where are the explosives plays on first and second down that he talked about? You know, the huge chunks of yardage plays. Also, Whitmer has shown some ability, but the kid is never given an opportunity to get into any kind of rhythm. In fact, I'll argue that McCummings gets a better at shot at this than Whitmer. I mean at least last year they tried, the irony is that we had a QB with less natural ability.

The only thing I could think off, is that P n D don't have enough confidence on the OL to pass block consistently, but then D is the OL coach as well. What were doing on offense now is exactly what Edsall did here, win by squeezing your ass cheeks as tightly as possible. Problem is your Defense has to be near perfect every time out. One freak play against them like we saw yesterday and your left trying to sweat out a win like..... yesterday.

Reaction Score
The inherent risk with his "run up the middle on first down"offense is that our defense won't be rested enough when it counts. We barely held on yesterday. Props to the special teams. Nicky-Will made the highlight reels. Chad kicked the winning FG, and a big hand to Cole Wagner. And let's not forget to appreciate Adam Mueller.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I wasn't arguing against Forte (I was joking that a title that appeared to be a calm, rational take on a situation was out of character for him) nor am I defending DeLeone beyond the fact that yesterday I preferred the approach is it made a victory more likely.

I believe that DeLeone's philosophies won't work with the personnel we have and that we won't be able to improve the personnel to the point where they will work without having some tangible success to show recruits.

I believe that a more basic philosophy to our offensive line's blocking schemes will solve most of our issues there and I believe that slightly better QB & WR play (which could happen with a scaled down playbook and more focus on fundamentals) will give us enough of an offense to make a run at the BE title this year (and could have beaten NC St).

As an analogy, our staff (until we have the success to bring in top recruits at all positions regularly) needs to be a bit like Marquette in men's hoops. If they tried to feed the post constantly in half court sets, never overplay on defense, just try to match up with teams that were sized and balanced more like a traditional team, they would win 20% of their games. We need to fit our personnel, accept the fact that with a lead (Vandy last year as an example) not turning the ball over can be more important than attempting to gain a first down from third and long.

I still see our biggest challenge being winning the turnover battle as we do not have the offense (regardless of what we may try on offense) to overcome a negative turnover margin.

pj

Reaction Score
To me it looks like DeLeone sees this offense, and particularly Whitmer, as relatively untalented or incapable. He is limiting the offense in hope of reducing mistakes and giving the defense a chance to win games for us. He is scripting plays because he does not trust on-field decision-making, and is trying to use complexity of schemes to overcome the predictability of a scripted, no-option offense. This whole approach makes sense if you don't trust your players.

Whereas personally I would prefer assuming the players are talented and capable, or can become so, and throwing them into the pool and making them swim. It may lose some winnable games, but it gives us the best chance to reach the limits of our capabilities. And isn't that what high level sports is about?

Reaction Score
Deleone's offense won't work as long as the opposing defensive coordinator knows how to defend a run, run, pass, punt offensive scheme, because that's every drive. I disagree with the poster that said we shouldn't be using Delahunt as much, because he's done a good job, I just wish the occasional pass to Delahunt wasn't the entirety of our passing game.

I definitely agree with the poster that worries about how our defense will be able to hold up in the second half of games. Our offense is just downright unfair to Brown and the defense. You can't expect them to hold up forever. When we hold the other team to under 100 yards in the first half, we need to have a 2 score lead at half time. As far as I can tell we've averaged about one actual, good offensive drive per game and you're not going to win like that no matter how good your defense is.

On the bright side I thought our Oline looked adequate to decent and I'd say our running game was adequate to decent. woo hoo

Reaction Score
It was painful and excruciating to watch our offense yesterday. I am real happy that Forte called out Deleone. Frankly if PP does not address this problem, then Warde should have a serious talk with both of them. Warde is supposed to know something about football. I am not sure that Deleone is capable of having an open mind or learning from his obvious incompetence. PP is known to be very loyal to his friend Deleone. From what I understand that's what got him fired from Syracuse.

Reaction Score
To me it looks like DeLeone sees this offense, and particularly Whitmer, as relatively untalented or incapable.

If that's what DeLeone thinks, he has good reason. That being said, if the O line can't block, why not try an over the middle screen? Why constantly throw to McCoombs outside behind the line of scrimmage? How's that play ever going to work? McCoombs is not quick enough to beat a corner or even a safety. It's a slow developing play that is not well concealed. For many teams that's the third check down.

If we don't have enough talent, and it looks like we don't, then you run, try some screens, try some draws, get the defense back off the LOS. All I can say about this offense is, what a mess!

Reaction Score
Sorry, but I don't see how anyone can argue AGAINST Forte here. Do we need to see another 9 games of this crap on offense for the rest of us to realize the coaches are making it damn near impossible for these players to succeed and score points? The wildcat worked for 1 drive all season. So that's justification for Deleone to consistently throw McCummings in there every other play and get no slack for it?!?!? This offense should be a spread it out finesse offense and not a power attack. The offensive line isn't there. So, why not spread it out, get our playmakers on the field and do what these kids can do best. 3 of Smith/Phillips/Davis/Williams should be on the field every play. Griffen should be our pass catching tight end. DeLeone's love affair with using Delahunt because of his 'blocking abilities' is a disgrace. Delahunt has as much a chance of breaking a tackle than Forte himself. The offense is the problem and it has NOTHING to do with the players. The gameplans DeLeone is putting together is the single reason why this offense doesn't score points.
And, suddenly everybody is an expert OC who know how to call a game better than the coaches who get paid $1 million per year. Can't we just enjoy the win. The team was on the road on ACC turf and got it done without BRW and Masters and everybody dieing from the flu.

IMHO the coaches are geniuses, because I do not think we ever did that before.

Reaction Score
And, suddenly everybody is an expert OC who know how to call a game better than the coaches who get paid $1 million per year. Can't we just enjoy the win. The team was on the road on ACC turf and got it done without BRW and Masters and everybody dieing from the flu.

I am not a genius nor am I in the film room breaking down the tape but it gets really tired to watch one of the worst offenses in the nation week after week. We have a sample size of 14 games, almost all of which showed ineptitude on the offensive side of the ball. It is enough IMHO to conclude that a change needs to happen. OC has to go, demotion is okay with me but someone else has to call the plays. BTW, still enjoying yesterday's win but enough is enough. We shoud have won going away...

Reaction Score
OF COURSE Deleone needs his own players.

(* If by "own players", you mean Tom Brady, Wes Welker, & Larry Fitzgerald. If only he had them, then he'd be successful.)

Reaction Score
I am not a genius nor am I in the film room breaking down the tape but it gets really tired to watch one of the worst offenses in the nation week after week. We have a sample size of 14 games, almost all of which showed ineptitude on the offensive side of the ball. It is enough IMHO to conclude that a change needs to happen. OC has to go, demotion is okay with me but someone else has to call the plays. BTW, still enjoying yesterday's win but enough is enough. We shoud have won going away...
And I would add to this that as Uconn fans, we have a pretty good handle on the the Uconn offense over the years. We're not experts, some here may be geniuses, I'm sure there are a few, but you don't have to be one of them to be an expert on the Uconn offense after watching it for, oh, the past 9 years, or so. Our offensive "system"is not successful. It has not been since the days of DannyO, and I think it is partially talent level and partially just not having any super bright guys for offensive coordinator and staff. That's ok, not everyone is a superstar, by definition. Most of us here can see the product on the field and understand what we're seeing without being geniuses, however.

Reaction Score
Uconn is Colorado on offense. Take a look at how bad that is if you had a defense to match.

Reaction Score

$1 million wasted. Any one person on this board can come up with a better offensive scheme. Don't need to be an 'expert' to be better than what we've got.

Reaction Score

That is well analyzed. Offense - or lack of offense - will ruin this season if it doesn't change its whole approach. Just because we had great weather this weekend, don't mean that nasty winter weather isn't soon to be a force to be reckoned with.

Reaction Score
Deleone's resume the past 7 years.

2005 Ole Miss- was the running game coordinator/offensive line coach. Team only averaged 2.4 yards per carry and rushed for only 800 yards the whole season.
2006 Temple- offensive coordinator/quarterbacks. Team averged 1.9 yards per carry, and only scored over 20 points twice going 1-11 overall.
2007 Temple-offensive coordinator/offensive line. Team averaged 2.7 yards per carry. And the qb's improved as deleone started focusing on ol.
2008-10 Miami dolphins TE coach.

Notice that wherever deleone has been OC, the last few years there is absolutely no running game. When he was assigned to qb at temple the team lost 11 games.

Reaction Score
I have heard many of these same complaints/issues for the last 6 years with all of our other coaches. Maybe we expect too much ? I watch many other games and it seems like there are many teams who have similar problems. How does Pitt lose to Youngstown and beat Va Tech ? Cuse puts up 40 + points against Northwestern and did not look too bad against USC and then struggles against Stonybrook. I am looking for answers too.

Reaction Score
the thing i dont get is we were supposed to have an improved receiving corp this year. i mean we all have seen Michael Smith at least be effective in the past. with even moderate qb improvement, which i think we can fairly say we have, you would think the passing game would have seen at least a marginal bump.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score

2005 Ole Miss- was the running game coordinator/offensive line coach. Team only averaged 2.4 yards per carry and rushed for only 800 yards the whole season.
2006 Temple- offensive coordinator/quarterbacks. Team averged 1.9 yards per carry, and only scored over 20 points twice going 1-11 overall.
2007 Temple-offensive coordinator/offensive line. Team averaged 2.7 yards per carry. And the qb's improved as deleone started focusing on ol.

Notice that wherever deleone has been OC, the last few years there is absolutely no running game. When he was assigned to qb at temple the team lost 11 games.
I want DeLeone gone but to be fair, the situations you are using (Ole Miss a couple seasons after Eli left, Temple when they may have been the worst FBS team in the country) likely wouldn't have had positive results if Bill Walsh had DeLeone's duties.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I have heard many of these same complaints/issues for the last 6 years with all of our other coaches. Maybe we expect too much ? I watch many other games and it seems like there are many teams who have similar problems. How does Pitt lose to Youngstown and beat Va Tech ? Cuse puts up 40 + points against Northwestern and did not look too bad against USC and then struggles against Stonybrook. I am looking for answers too.
If this is the case (that we expect too much) we may as well give up now.

I don't believe we would be reasonable to expect to turn into Texas Tech circa 2005-2010 in a year or two but I have seen many programs become somewhat competent in an area of weakness in a short period of time. There has to be a way to get our passing game to a level where it can at least at times threaten the teams on our schedule.

Reaction Score

you have to admire his consistancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc