Giufre is DeLeone 2.0 / bad 2012 wildcat flashback Saturday | The Boneyard

Giufre is DeLeone 2.0 / bad 2012 wildcat flashback Saturday

Reaction Score
So, Giufre followed the drive-killing George DeLeone strategy by throwing Tompkins in at the 'wildcat' on 1st and goal yesterday then going up the middle on 4th and goal. ugh.

All sadly familiar. What you get with an O-Line coach as an OC. We've seen this play before. Remember Scott McCummings? Double ugh.

Reaction Score
Honestly who cares about Giufre? We have a terrible head coach. That’s the problem.

Hard to disagree with this, but ... Edsall had the No. 50 offense in the country with Rhett Lashlee his first year back in 2017. An innovative OC like Lashlee would have gotten the damn ball in the end zone. Benedict defending Edsall and RE not getting fired this year is what it is, but Benedict better damn sure get involved in getting a new OC for next season.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Honestly who cares about Giufre? We have a terrible head coach. That’s the problem.
Edsall said after the game that they should be able to score on 4 running plays from the 4. That's his unimaginative mind set. When the series started. as I watched from my upper deck seat. I told my brother in law that they will run 4 times. Maybe they will score, maybe not. But at least one play with a fake into the the line and a quick pass would probably work against that pass D 95% of the time.

What's so bad about that is that generally the play calls made sense yesterday. But boy did that false start by their supposed best O lineman kill them. They were moving the ball ( they did almost all day) and wound up with that bad interception instead on 3rd and long.

Reaction Score
Edsall said after the game that they should be able to score on 4 running plays from the 4. That's his unimaginative mind set. When the series started. as I watched from my upper deck seat. I told my brother in law that they will run 4 times. Maybe they will score, maybe not. But at least one play with a fake into the the line and a quick pass would probably work against that pass D 95% of the time.

Just a quick clarification:

Second down was indeed a pass play intended for Mensah but Jack Zergiotis was hurried by the rush and inaccurate.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Just a quick clarification:

Second down was indeed a pass play intended for Mensah but Jack Zergiotis was hurried by the rush and inaccurate.
It slipped my mind. It probably wasn’t into the end zone

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It slipped my mind. It probably wasn’t into the end zone
That was the only good call in the series and it wasn’t executed well. The first play was insanity, defying every sound principle of short yardage O.. If it was a set-up play, I could accept that. Calls 3 and 4 were pure stupidity.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Initially I was baffled by the play calling and wanted a fade route toward the far side of the formation on 1st down. Afterwards listening to RE and Jack Zergiotis, it's not a throw he can't execute at this time. So now you are limited in play calling due to personnel. On 3rd or 4th down, I would have tried to go to the TE over the middle on a fake handoff. Bottom line, there are certain limitations in personnel that affect play calling. It is easy to sit back and be critical, but there is more than RE wanting to pound it up the middle 4 times for 4 yards.

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
That whole sequence, including Mensah getting tracked down by Joakim Noah was very frustrating. As soon as he got caught I just knew we weren’t going to score. The little screen pass to Mensah was actually a good call but Jack Zergiotis threw a stinker. The direct snap was livable because at least they tried to be creative but the other two playcalls stank. Finally going for it and leaving 3 almost guaranteed points on the boards.

Reaction Score
Initially I was baffled by the play calling and wanted a fade route toward the far side of the formation on 1st down. Afterwards listening to RE and Jack Zergiotis, it's not a throw he can't execute at this time. So now you are limited in play calling due to personnel. On 3rd or 4th down, I would have tried to go to the TE over the middle on a fake handoff. Bottom line, there are certain limitations in personnel that affect play calling. It is easy to sit back and be critical, but there is more than RE wanting to pound it up the middle 4 times for 4 yards.
I’m not sure we could get 4yds on 4 consecutive runs. Not in that position anyway. No line push at all. The qb sneak was the only time I saw a decent push.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom