Gilbert out for season...again | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gilbert out for season...again

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Assuming that Gilbert won’t want to miss almost 3 straight years, and Wilson won’t want to miss 2 straight, I think even with a coaching change, they’d both be back next year. Not a bad time to transition coaches...
I have a feeling at least Gilbert could get a waiver, were that situation to come about.

Didn't Oriakhi get one after Calhoun left?
Although Oriakhi was a senior.

Reaction Score
Assuming that Gilbert won’t want to miss almost 3 straight years, and Wilson won’t want to miss 2 straight, I think even with a coaching change, they’d both be back next year. Not a bad time to transition coaches...

AG is gone if KO is fired. He can go to juco and play in a less stressful setting while working off the rust and then go wherever he wants without missing a year. He can then apply for a medical hardship after his senior year if he wants

Reaction Score
AG is gone if KO is fired. He can go to juco and play in a less stressful setting while working off the rust and then go wherever he wants without missing a year. He can then apply for a medical hardship after his senior year if he wants
Missing two years and playing JUCO is a pretty rough route to take. It makes more sense for him to just play at a higher level with a new and improved coaching staff IMO. And he could still be grad transfer eligible after his junior year.

Reaction Score
Missing two years and playing JUCO is a pretty rough route to take. It makes more sense for him to just play at a higher level with a new and improved coaching staff IMO. And he could still be grad transfer eligible after his junior year.

He wouldn't have to sit out and control his own path rather than adjusting to new coaching staff who he may not want to be there for seeing he came here because of KO.

Play a year at juco get healthy and regain confidence and he will be highly sought after and able to play immediately probably at an ACC or SEC school

Reaction Score
He wouldn't have to sit out and control his own path rather than adjusting to new coaching staff who he may not want to be there for seeing he came here because of KO.

Play a year at juco get healthy and regain confidence and he will be highly sought after and able to play immediately probably at an ACC or SEC school

Please name 1 player to ever take this route.

Reaction Score
You hate to see this keep happening to him. At some point doesnt it have to be decided that he cant realistically expect to have any type of career in basketball? And as a program Uconn cant keep hanging its hat on him being healthy either. It will be interesting to see how things move forward on both fronts. I wish the kid nothing but the best though! Hope he fully recovers and comes back like we've never seen him before.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
At this point, considering his history with this injury, at what point would he give serious consideration to just hanging it up and not playing again? Having the use of a healthy shoulder for the rest of your life is more important than risking life long medical issues with it.

I hope he makes the right long term decision for himself. It really sucks. Best of luck to him, whether he is ever able to continue his BB career or not.

pj

Reaction Score
Yes, because Oriakhi was a senior banned from the NCAAT. Roscoe was younger and had to sit out.

I don’t think they’d grant him anything, but at the very least by leaving, Gilbert would be risking losing a third straight season.

If he leaves at end of fall semester, he's only missing first semester games (i.e. first 10 or so) but not missing any practice. He'd get the bulk of the season. It could make sense if he doesn't believe in the quality of the coaching he's getting at UConn.

You hate to see this keep happening to him. At some point doesnt it have to be decided that he cant realistically expect to have any type of career in basketball? And as a program Uconn cant keep hanging its hat on him being healthy either. It will be interesting to see how things move forward on both fronts. I wish the kid nothing but the best though! Hope he fully recovers and comes back like we've never seen him before.

You are over-reacting. We've heard that this is just removing scar tissue. It doesn't jeopardize essential connective tissue and it will have a straightforward recovery. There's no reason to think he won't come back. And he may come back without a brace.

Reaction Score
My understanding is that it is not the same type of surgery as last time. More to clean up the scar tissue and increase mobility. Not as long a recovery time. We will see...
From what I have understood, this was the best option. Protect the the player's health foremost, make things right with the second surgery, and he is back fully healed for 2018-2019. I was thinking this surgery would be as you stated with the recovery time being less. Good to hear this and know that he is moving forward. Godspeed!

Would love to hear our two resident shoulder surgeons weigh in on this.

Reaction Score
If he leaves at end of fall semester, he's only missing first semester games (i.e. first 10 or so) but not missing any practice. He'd get the bulk of the season. It could make sense if he doesn't believe in the quality of the coaching he's getting at UConn.

You are over-reacting. We've heard that this is just removing scar tissue. It doesn't jeopardize essential connective tissue and it will have a straightforward recovery. There's no reason to think he won't come back. And he may come back without a brace.

Yea i'm far from a medical professional so you very well may be right, and I hope you are! I just cant foresee what happens next year? So he has that scar tissue cleaned up and has better mobility, would it be crazy to think he could have yet another related shoulder injury? Or would that be just as likely as someone who has never had a shoulder problem having a should injury? Most likely my concerns are completely ignorant, i just see a pattern here and am wondering whats next. Uconn the program and he obviously cant afford for this to happen yet again next season.

Reaction Score
Borges said with the surgery they're doing he will have limited range of motion for the rest of his career but the chances of this injury happening again are close to zero

Reaction Score
Borges said with the surgery they're doing he will have limited range of motion for the rest of his career but the chances of this injury happening again are close to zero

Damn, limited range of motion is not what you want to hear from a PG that plays his style of ball.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If Kris Dunn can come back, so can AG.

Best wishes to him for a speedy and complete recovery.

Somewhat coincidentally, I was watching Knicks Bulls last night and noticed the scar on Dunn's shoulder when he was shooting free throws.

Tough news for Gilbert, the time missed in game action will be similar to Larrier.

Reaction Score
Did they screw it up the first go around? Seems fishy with his summer activity and then the recent brace refitting

Reaction Score
Although I don’t wish injury, this year is wasted and hope he comes back strong with a new coaching staff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom