Georgetown Post Game Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Georgetown Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Couldn’t watch live and just caught the replay. I’m glad for that because I could fast forward through all the free throws. And there was still a lot that WASN’T called. Boxing match today

Good
  • Obviously Karaban MVP. 6 threes and the most energy by far
  • Can Cam Spencer run a mile under 10 minutes? Doesn’t matter because he put up another 20 piece
  • Stewart with two BIG BOY rebounds and took a red carpet run to the rim for a big dunk. Coming into his own
  • It felt like Castle was having a bad game but then I checked the box score and he had 14/4/4. Living at the rim and thus the FT line
Bad
  • Same as every other game, bad perimeter defense and no rim presence. Easily fixable when DC is back
Supreme Cook is a beast. He ate us alive and nobody could stop him. He had more o-boards than our entire team and made us look like little kids

Honestly, Georgetown played pretty well (minus their mini meltdown at the end). They kept it around 7-10 points for most of the game even though they were 20pt underdogs. But they couldn’t keep up with the Huskies, we pulled away at the end, and now we wait for 1pm tomorrow…

I didn't realize Cook played at Fairfield. Someone like him is exactly what we need for next season if DC doesn't come back. A 5 with some beef to compliment Sampson.

Reaction Score
season 2 episode 3 GIF by IFC
No. I can't accept that. It was a grand slam, down three runs with two outs, in the bottom of the 9th, in game 7 of the World Series.

Reaction Score
Yes, he has. He's averaging 11 points, 7 assists, 6 rebounds over those 5 games. He's been inefficient but if that's what he's going to bring on his supposed down nights I'm going to sign up for that every time. You have no idea what you're watching and have made that clear the last 2 years when you repeatedly root against one of our best players
So, citing statistics is "rooting against" a player? Dude, you have your head somewhere other than on your neck.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So, citing statistics is "rooting against" a player? Dude, you have your head somewhere other than on your neck.
Cherry-picking to make a guy look bad is rooting against a player, imo. But I give you credit for using your actual photo for your avatar.

Reaction Score
He came out of the half and turned the ball over on three of the first 5 possessions and shot a 3 off the backboard. The best play he made today was the foul on Cook which completely mentally collapsed that dude.

He came out of the half and had an assist, a steal, and an offensive rebound. The only really bad play was the first possession.

Reaction Score
This is easy. So far Newton has given us exactly what we need. He's not perfect. NO ONE is perfect. Complaining about Newton is the definition of a first world problem.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
This is easy. So far Newton has given us exactly what we need. He's not perfect. NO ONE is perfect. Complaining about Newton is the definition of a first world problem.
Eh, Kemba was pretty perfect. Shabazz probably too.

We’re pretty spoiled by PG play. Lol

Reaction Score
IMO.With DC's injury-Newton has become the opposing teams focus. I am convinced the opposing coaches are telling their guards to be as physical with him as they can until/or if they start getting fouls called against them. Not many clean looks for him inside the arc/going to the hole.

Despite that attention-He has been a double-double waiting to happen -since Donovan's injury. He is a baller and will perform when the bright lights are on as his younger teammates get things figured out through his quiet leadership.

This team is not 15-2 without him.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
"Go to Georgetown. You too can become a superior person. Transcend the planet and look down on all the inferiors and feel so good about yourself"
While I am very confident that there are plenty Georgetown alumni who look down on us as inferiors, anyone who uses their having attended a school that sold slaves as a reason to claim superiority needs to assess their value system.

Reaction Score
He came out of the half and had an assist, a steal, and an offensive rebound. The only really bad play was the first possession.
He got the offensive rebound and then launched the pass out of bounds if I remember correctly. I’m sorry I just completely disagree with your analysis.

Reaction Score
He got the offensive rebound and then launched the pass out of bounds if I remember correctly. I’m sorry I just completely disagree with your analysis.
It was deflected so we kept the ball. And he was fouled (no call, of course).

My point is that Newton’s “off” games have still been ok. Last year he was borderline unplayable during his slump.

Reaction Score

My point is that Newton’s “off” games have still been ok. Last year he was borderline unplayable during his slump.
Yea I agree. I’m not trying to knock the kid. He is vitally important. The game at Georgetown last year he was rock bottom. Don’t think he even scored

Maybe he’s just bored on campus with the students gone. #1 in the country without him at his best and no Clingan is a heck of a sign.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

Well his usage is a lot higher this year with the offense currently centered around his playmaking. He doesn’t have much room to not produce in some way.

Last year the big focus of the offense was Andre, Hawk, and Sanogo.

Reaction Score
Well his usage is a lot higher this year with the offense currently centered around his playmaking. He doesn’t have much room to not produce in some way.

Tristen has many talents. An under-appreciated talent of his is his passing. Has guys that can get open/catch the pass/convert for points. He is exceptional in delivering passes that convert to easy points.

Reaction Score
Seriously? Head bang

Here goes, take 3.

I would like to politely express my burgeoning disappointment with Waquoit for his “teaching moments” against ValleyGuy and others who simply posted Newtons prior 6 games shooting stats.

Thank you and good night.

Reaction Score
Eh, Kemba was pretty perfect. Shabazz probably too.

We’re pretty spoiled by PG play. Lol
To be honest, Kemba took some hits in our regular season swoon. But obviously those thoughts disappeared starting in msg and have been forever lost to the planet of bad takes.

Bazz‘s legacy was probably saved by the Brimah putback. He had been having a nightmare in regulation against St. Joes and dribbled off his leg out of bounds with 2 minutes to go and then missed the bunny that Brimah put back. Had we lost, he would have had two first round exits as the lead guard and been known as a good role player on a champion who underperformed in the lead role (but would have gotten credit for staying through the probation and keeping us relevant). But he played great in OT and kept that going for five more games and the rest is history.

Similarly, El-Amin deservedly gets a world of credit for putting us over the top, but shot 0-12 in the Elite Eight and we won anyway thanks to Rip and Free. He then made big plays in the Final Four and is now considered the consummate winner, but his legacy would be way different if we lost the 0-12 game.

Newton seems to have these lulls in the regular season this time of year. Last year, getting 10 points out of him was a big ask for a most of the Big East season before he started to figure it out in February. But we got a heck of a finishing stretch from him.

Reaction Score

Our offense is in no way centered around anyone's playmaking. He happens to be the end of shot clock option (really the only one), which increases his usage, but the offense is not designed around anyone.

He's basically playing 4 more minutes per game this year vs. last.

During his 8 game slump last year, his assist to TO ratio was 1.93/1 (27 assists, 14 turnovers)
He's five games into a stretch of poorer play this year. A/TO ratio is 2.64/1 (37 assists, 14 turnovers).

Also averaging 5.8 rebounds vs. 3.1 during the same stretch last year.

Again, his "bad" this year is not all that bad.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
To be honest, Kemba took some hits in our regular season swoon. But obviously those thoughts disappeared starting in msg and have been forever lost to the planet of bad takes.

Bazz‘s legacy was probably saved by the Brimah putback. He had been having a nightmare in regulation against St. Joes and dribbled off his leg out of bounds with 2 minutes to go and then missed the bunny that Brimah put back. Had we lost, he would have had two first round exits as the lead guard and been known as a good role player on a champion who underperformed in the lead role (but would have gotten credit for staying through the probation and keeping us relevant). But he played great in OT and kept that going for five more games and the rest is history.

Similarly, El-Amin deservedly gets a world of credit for putting us over the top, but shot 0-12 in the Elite Eight and we won anyway thanks to Rip and Free. He then made big plays in the Final Four and is now considered the consummate winner, but his legacy would be way different if we lost the 0-12 game.

Newton seems to have these lulls in the regular season this time of year. Last year, getting 10 points out of him was a big ask for a most of the Big East season before he started to figure it out in February. But we got a heck of a finishing stretch from him.
I dont think we need to nitpick Kemba, Bazz, and KEA like this. Those guys, especially Kemba, played the game almost perfectly. Even on a bad shooting night. Their decision making and leadership was as good as you can ever ask for.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Our offense is in no way centered around anyone's playmaking. He happens to be the end of shot clock option (really the only one), which increases his usage, but the offense is not designed around anyone.

He's basically playing 4 more minutes per game this year vs. last.

During his 8 game slump last year, his assist to TO ratio was 1.93/1 (27 assists, 14 turnovers)
He's five games into a stretch of poorer play this year. A/TO ratio is 2.64/1 (37 assists, 14 turnovers).

Also averaging 5.8 rebounds vs. 3.1 during the same stretch last year.

Again, his "bad" this year is not all that bad.
His usage rate since Clingan has been out is at 27.2 (conference play). Top 10 in the Big East and #2 on the team is Karaban at 20.7.

He’s the initiator of a lot we do on offense because he’s one of the best attackers on the team. But he’s just been super inefficient recently is all.

It won’t matter when we’re at full strength anyways because there’s just way too much firepower on this team to not have to depend on any one guy.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I would like to politely express my burgeoning disappointment with Waquoit for his “teaching moments” against ValleyGuy and others who simply posted Newtons prior 6 games shooting stats.

Thank you and good night.
Are sure that was me mixing it up with ValleyGuy?

EDIT: I just noticed the "and others" part. I want to know if all these haters with their simple postings are "sayin'" or "just sayin'"?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I didn't realize Cook played at Fairfield. Someone like him is exactly what we need for next season if DC doesn't come back. A 5 with some beef to compliment Sampson.
Like the spirit

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom