HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Mr Reed is the Georgetown AD

D3F21B99-15A2-4BC4-9E8E-310B37934E00.jpeg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While I agree with pretty much everyone, that Darnell Haney has absolutely earned the right to have the “interim” designation removed from his title, it should be pointed out that Georgetown being “in discussions” with Haney about becoming the HC, is not exactly the same as being “officially” named the HC. Hoping that discussion/negotiation can proceed quickly, followed by an official announcement.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Him telling his team he was bringing a suit (and it's fire) for Monday was pretty funny. They did seem to improve quite a bit through the season; always a good sign. I am really hoping for a couple of our conference mates to step up into that top 15 range, at least, both for our strength of schedule and to add a little competitive drama. Thought it might be Marquette/Duffy but Georgetown would be cool.

Reaction Score
he's gonna be a good one and if he can recruit, they will be Uconn's toughest opponent in the conference because they already play defense now hopefully he can recruit some offense or player who can play both...watch out Uconn there's a sleeping giant about to wake up...
Think of the more intense recruiting battles between the HOYAS and Villanova, Marquette, etc.
There are only so many WBB recruits that "fit" the BIG EAST CONFERENCE "mold"... Hoyas will
be "prime" for recruiting... watch out for the HOYAS, next year... and after, after. A new BIG TIME
RIVALRY FOR UCONN in the making??

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Guys, I just don’t know if this is a done deal. Georgetown, like most universities, has a hiring process that would usually entail assembling a committee to undertake a nationwide search, bring in the top candidates for interviews and then make a selection. I suppose it’s possible that the AD has been authorized to circumvent this process, but that would be surprising.

As much as Darnell Haney is deserving of being named the permanent HC, we are talking about the highest profile women’s sport at the university, at a time when almost every new HC job in WBB is being filled by a woman.

Right down the road at William & Mary is Assistant WBB Coach Sugar Rodgers. Rodgers was a star at Georgetown before playing 8 years or so in the WNBA. After her playing days were over, she got into coaching, 1st with the LV Aces, then a year at Georgetown and for the last 2 seasons at W&M.

Reaction Score
Guys, I just don’t know if this is a done deal. Georgetown, like most universities, has a hiring process that would usually entail assembling a committee to undertake a nationwide search, bring in the top candidates for interviews and then make a selection. I suppose it’s possible that the AD has been authorized to circumvent this process, but that would be surprising.

As much as Darnell Haney is deserving of being named the permanent HC, we are talking about the highest profile women’s sport at the university, at a time when almost every new HC job in WBB is being filled by a woman.

Right down the road at William & Mary is Assistant WBB Coach Sugar Rodgers. Rodgers was a star at Georgetown before playing 8 years or so in the WNBA. After her playing days were over, she got into coaching, 1st with the LV Aces, then a year at Georgetown and for the last 2 seasons at W&M.

Looks like it's official.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Georgetown wouldn’t have made that post if it weren’t happening. Grace Ann Bennett announced it in the post-game presser, too

Not sure why it was important to rain on what looked like a nice moment - twice

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score

C'mon OD, it would be ridiculous for them to not announce the upgrade immediately after talking to Darnell. They don't need to do interviews as this entire year was an "on the job" interview. The only issue would be the compensation and length of his contract.

Reaction Score

Glad to see Haney's hiring was made official, but @oldude said the quiet part out loud. There is such a huge push today to have women take coaching positions in men's sports, that consideration of a male as a coaching candidate for a women's sport should be irrelevant. Just get the best qualified if you rally want equality and fairness!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Georgetown wouldn’t have made that post if it weren’t happening. Grace Ann Bennett announced it in the post-game presser, too

Not sure why it was important to rain on what looked like a nice moment - twice
Nan,
I’m delighted if Georgetown has now made it official that Darnell Haney is their full time HC. But you of all people know that here on the BY, we can sometimes get ahead of ourselves. Grace Ann Bennett is a player who was expressing her strong personal preference and now there is a post on a Georgetown basketball blog that is reading the tea leaves that appear to have removed the “interim” term from Coach Haney’s bio.

I found the comments from the AD, that Georgetown had “entered into discussions” to be an odd choice of words, and there is still no official notice on the Georgetown Athletic Site. Why not just say that “Georgetown intends to make Darnell Haney our full time HC” and then get it done?

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
My opinion of Haney went from neutral, based initially and solely on limited television screen shots during the regular season and seeing him in person at the tournament, to extremely positive while watching his post game commentary after Monday’s game. (I was also very impressed with Bennett’s presser.)

I can’t recall another Q&A where the coach’s responses focused so much on the players as people as opposed to their being basketball players.

Granted the situation was unique but it seems that for this team, for this year, he was the perfect person to take the reins and be there for the players. I hope that he’s able to recruit successfully and maintain being a great coach in terms of bball strategy as well as being a mentor for the team. As others have noted, it would be so good to have stronger conference opponents in the future.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Glad to see Haney's hiring was made official, but @oldude said the quiet part out loud. There is such a huge push today Just get the best qualified if you rally want equality and fairness!
Glad to see Haney's hiring was made official, but @oldude said the quiet part out loud. There is such a huge push today to have women take coaching positions in men's sports, that consideration of a male as a coaching candidate for a women's sport should be irrelevant. Just get the best qualified if you rally want equality and fairness!

Agreed - get the best you can. As an OT to this OT, I sense growing support on the part of the Tennessee faithful to hire away from the Pat Summitt tree and they don’t care whether the next coach is male or female. They just want competency.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
We know that there are many, many "issues" in college sports with a variety of problems and
unfortunate things happening on and off the playing fields. True even in our little corner of the world...
women's hoops. Toss in that there seems to be little progress as time goes by.

However the situation at Georgetown the last few days shows that wonderful things DO happen.
The remarks by Grace/the reaction of the players to Haney's hiring...full of joyful emotion...just proves how
great college athletics can be...growth of skills and character....I just LOVED to see those video clips.

As this is a UConn women's basketball board: it just should make us so thankful that we have this
wonderful coaching staff and players of great character. Toss in their great basketball skills for sure.

We have a great basic cake...and then the icing is all those wins...all those rings...on and on.
Well...best of luck to Darnell years to come...bake a great cake and I hope the icing [wins] will
be a'coming. The BE needs more challengers for our Huskies...I'd love to see G'Town be one of those.

Go UConn! Go G'Town.

BTW: we know that recruiting is a huge deal. DC seems to have a lot of talent. Witness our roster for
evidence. I'm sure Haney was zeroed in focusing on the Monday night game but: I suspect Q's presence
reminded him that she has 2 younger sisters who are pretty fair hoopsters. Wonder if they might be in the stands
at some future UConn and Georgetown games?

BTW#2: Does the WNIT tourney still exist? If so I hope we see G'Town get an invitation...more icing [wins]...do the
BE proud.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We know that there are many, many "issues" in college sports with a variety of problems and
unfortunate things happening on and off the playing fields. True even in our little corner of the world...
women's hoops. Toss in that there seems to be little progress as time goes by.

However the situation at Georgetown the last few days shows that wonderful things DO happen.
The remarks by Grace/the reaction of the players to Haney's hiring...full of joyful emotion...just proves how
great college athletics can be...growth of skills and character....I just LOVED to see those video clips.

As this is a UConn women's basketball board: it just should make us so thankful that we have this
wonderful coaching staff and players of great character. Toss in their great basketball skills for sure.

We have a great basic cake...and then the icing is all those wins...all those rings...on and on.
Well...best of luck to Darnell years to come...bake a great cake and I hope the icing [wins] will
be a'coming. The BE needs more challengers for our Huskies...I'd love to see G'Town be one of those.

Go UConn! Go G'Town.

BTW: we know that recruiting is a huge deal. DC seems to have a lot of talent. Witness our roster for
evidence. I'm sure Haney was zeroed in focusing on the Monday night game but: I suspect Q's presence
reminded him that she has 2 younger sisters who are pretty fair hoopsters. Wonder if they might be in the stands
at some future UConn and Georgetown games?

BTW#2: Does the WNIT tourney still exist? If so I hope we see G'Town get an invitation...more icing [wins]...do the
BE proud.
Yes, the WNIT still exists. It was won by Kansas last year. While Georgetown would certainly be invited, I think the Hoyas are hoping for an invitation to the NCAA tournament.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom