Geno's Post-Game Comments About Stewie and Morgan | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Geno's Post-Game Comments About Stewie and Morgan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Granted my mind isn't what it used to be but. . . I fuzzily remember a game where he pulled all the starters for some significant length of time - it was a Big East game probably 20 years or so ago.

Your mind may not be what it used to be, but I also remember him pulling the entire starting 5 off the floor at once back in the day. Don't remember the opponent but the circumstances were similar. He wasn't happy with what they were doing.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Like I said!
It has nothing to do with this forum. It probably should apply to all criticisms of any 900 win coach with 9 national titles anywhere. Having some credentialed basis for criticism improves being taken seriously.

Reaction Score
Bending young minds are just like bending wood into ship shape with patience and time otherwise it will break.

When shaping wood, one applies constant pressure, often in a steamy environment. The pressure that Geno and his staff applies relates to perfection of effort, not of result. In other words, he wants them to do their best with whatever health, energy, or, distractions they might have. If they do the best they can, which can vary from game to game, given they are humans...I think, the result will take care of itself when you perform at the level they do.

His remark at half time, regarding the fact that he would rather lose than watch players not bring their best, underscores his value for perfection of effort.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
The kind of recruits that will be turned away by being benched when they aren't playing well aren't the kind of recruits UConn wants.
I'm sorry I just started a new thread- The Master is just lighting a "small fire" under our posts- because it's the first time they will be truly tested this season. That move was planned before the game started- I can feel it in my bones! We're all going to doubt the wizard now???? We'll win by double figures- probably by Tony C numbers!!! Yee's have little faith!!!!! We've already seen the miracles!!!

Reaction Score
The one rule you never break with Geno is phoning it in. He'll ream you out at practice and sit you for games. Doesn't matter if the opposition is a team you could beat with your bench, if you are a starter, you play like a starter. You ignore the score and play if the season depends on it. It's the coach's decision to call off the hounds, to slow the game down, to let up on the gas, not the players and definitely not your star players. That's the level of excellence Geno demands.

Reaction Score
It has nothing to do with this forum. It probably should apply to all criticisms of any 900 win coach with 9 national titles anywhere. Having some credentialed basis for criticism improves being taken seriously.
Another comment I have seen before on the Old Boys Club Forum! I know I don't belong BUT I am still a UCONN womans team fan!

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Another comment I have seen before on the Old Boys Club Forum! I know I don't belong BUT I am still a UCONN womans team fan!

What are you talking about? I don't follow.

Reaction Score
Oh my gosh! I think I've just stepped in an ants hole. LOL.

Look, it's just an opinion. Hypothetically speaking, If some potential stars basketball players were watching what Geno did to his players during a game it might trigger the question whether she's can meet his expectation and thus will deter her from pursuing Uconn.

That's all I'm saying.

Reaction Score
Oh my gosh! I think I've just stepped in an ants hole. LOL.

Look, it's just an opinion. Hypothetically speaking, If some potential stars basketball players were watching what Geno did to his players during a game it might trigger the question whether she's can meet his expectation and thus will deter her from pursuing Uconn.

That's all I'm saying.

But that happens for nearly every player. You've seen Kia Nurse's interview, right? She questioned whether she was good enough. Your posts also made it sound "definitive." And you read about A'ja Wilson? She said Dawn Staley was so nice- UOCNN players say the same about CD- then they get in their 1st practice or two, then things change.

Reaction Score
You don't have much faith in the emotional resilience of Stewie and Morgan, do you? They are not shrinking violets, and they are not 12 years old. As Geno said on another occasion, soldiers their age are facing combat in Afghanistan.

They are being expected to carry their team to a National Championship. If what happened today is going to stress them beyond endurance, then they are not the ones to be given that responsibility.

But of course, they are strong and they will get through this and take it as it was intended.
As a point of reference, I would be willing to bet that at least a few of the Marines that they trained with during the summer, have seen combat.

Reaction Score
Basically, he should have benched all of his starters in the 1st half if as he commented he would rather lose than watch them play the way they were. Mo, KML and Nurse were not playing well either. Benching someone is one thing but as I've said before he should keep his comments in the locker room or practice not on TV or in the press.
It's not about playing well. It's about effort...He wasn't seeing it out of the big 3, and with a huge front court coming in on Monday, he needed to show them that they have to show up to play, and play hard, every play, every game...We'll see how it works. I think, frankly, it was brilliant...

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
It's not about playing well. It's about effort...He wasn't seeing it out of the big 3, and with a huge front court coming in on Monday, he needed to show them that they have to show up to play, and play hard, every play, every game...We'll see how it works. I think, frankly, it was brilliant...

I get why he was mad at Stokes. She showed effort on two blocks but didn't get a rebound in 8 minutes, so no surprise he was unhappy with her. Watch the first few minutes again and tell me where the lack of effort is, or where it is more pronounced from Tuck/Stewart than from the other three.

Reaction Score
Great move by Geno on Saturday.........Tuck and Stewie's play was getting too sloppy and lazy for the past few games and he had enough. I am sure they both received his message lud and clear..........LOOKOUT USC............

Reaction Score
They showed Stewie and Morgan on the bench before the start of the second half. Stewie seemed very angry and I think Morgan told Stewie she was mad.

Reaction Score
They showed Stewie and Morgan on the bench before the start of the second half. Stewie seemed very angry and I think Morgan told Stewie she was mad.
Good. Next game they wont even see the SC players, they will be playing for Geno. All out.

Reaction Score
I couldn't figure out how to move a quote from another post, so I'll paraphrase it instead: geno comparing his players attitude, mindset,...(???) with those of soldiers their age in Afghanistan. WT_?Sorry, geno, you're not General Geno S. Patton, even though you may think so. And your basketball 'soldiers' did not volunteer to fight in war. It's bad enough football is compared to war, let alone basketball. Otherwise, I don't think discipline offs necessarily a bad thing.

Reaction Score
What he did in the past was just 1 player not all three at once, besides the crime did not fit the punishment.

It's obvious you haven't followed UConn women's basketball at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom