Geno's opinion on "one and done" in women's college hoops | The Boneyard

Geno's opinion on "one and done" in women's college hoops

Reaction Score
No doubt it helps the women’s game to have the stars stick around for four years. I do think a combination of low pay in the W and nil opportunities in school will keep it from becoming a big issue. I’m not opposed to it as there are probably a few who feel that school just isn’t a good fit.

Reaction Score
1 and done can also refer to the incresed usage of the portal. Seems like a coach not only has to recruit potential incoming layers, but also to keep those that they already have. Playing time...

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
It’s already ruined the men’s game. Can’t blame the players for striking when the iron is hot to sign multimillion dollar contracts, but it kills a lot of the joy of college basketball IMO. Most of the time star players on the men’s side bolt for the pros after a big season which robs fans of a chance to get to know them and follow their career as easily. If it were common in the women’s game, no doubt Clark/Bueckers/Brink would’ve been likely gone after their freshman seasons, and this year we would’ve lost Juju/Booker/Hidalgo.

Reaction Score
I just don't think the motivation for one-and-done is there like it is for the men. Even a minor NIL deal gets you more money than the base WNBA salary. As for building a fan base amongst your social media followers, the enthusiasm of a college fan base is where it's at. We know our full roster well, down to their favorite meals. Quick, who is the 10th or 11th player on the Sun's roster? Right now, for women, collegiate ball is the better deal even if you're good enough to make a WNBA team.

Reaction Score
Until the W expands to at least 18 or more like 24 teams there is not a market for one and done.

Agreed, and that’s not happening until the financial rewards for ownership increase dramatically. I, for one, think the huge increase in popularity of the Women’s game is due to the absence of one and done players. Fans identify programs with their best players. Raise your hands if you watched Iowa BB before CC & probably still wouldn’t if she was one and done. JMO

Reaction Score
Why would WNBA veterans want a larger flood of college kids coming into the league and help push them into retirement? I bet many do not have a NIL deal, so the WNBA may be their livelihood (such as it is). If they do have some NIL and they are forced into retirement, well goodbye NIL.

In general, if a kid is good enough to jump into the WNBA, she's most probably got some sweet NIL deals going. It might come to the situation where high school kids aspire to college, not for the WNBA, but for the NIL.

Reaction Score
At of all the players entering College, how many are eready for the WNBA after 1 season? Not very many. With NIL, I think there is more of a lean to STAY in College for 4 years. PLus, there should be tremendous value in getting a degree on scholarship. I agree with Geno, but unless I'm not understanding, shouldn't really be a big deal? Maybe if we got another Paige, or a Caitlyn Clark, etc. but if she only stayed a year, how could we know how good she is or could be?

I need some coffee.....

Reaction Score
Here goes another opinion that will bring negative feedback about 80-1. One of the things that happens in the boneyard is that we are so wrapped up in the Uconn women's team that we project the popularity outside of our state. In reality the majority of fans in most other states are miniscule compared to ours. The Catlin Clarke phenomenon, I believe, is a one year deal. She is going to go into the WNBA where she will be matched up against the best of the best and after one or two years, like so many other college ''All Stars'',

Reaction Score
Here goes another opinion that will bring negative feedback about 80-1. One of the things that happens in the boneyard is that we are so wrapped up in the Uconn women's team that we project the popularity outside of our state. In reality the majority of fans in most other states are miniscule compared to ours. The Catlin Clarke phenomenon, I believe, is a one year deal. She is going to go into the WNBA where she will be matched up against the best of the best and after one or two years, like so many other college ''All Stars'', will eventually fade off into the sunset. Want some further proof? Call a friend or relative in just about any other state and ask them how high expectations are for the woman's team in their area.
When Geno recruited Swin Cash I was in Pittsburgh and asked several of my friends and relatives how talented she was. All I got was a blank stare and ''Who is she?'' And as far as NIL money goes, there will always be a few stars who will profit but this money is coming from sales and it is extremely limited.

Reaction Score
I get the talk about NIL being a factor for athletes staying in college, but how many of these athletes would get a significant NIL deal? The impression in some comments is that it's more than $100K but that seems unlikely for a large majority of these players. Yes, NIL will have some impact but those who get the large deals will be a small percentage out of the thousands of athletes who are competing every year.

Hopefully these players who do get NIL are finding ways to invest versus blowing it on superficial items. The reason why I say this is I recall seeing a video by Louisville about New Year's resolutions. Most of the players were talking about doing better at saving their money, which made me cringe a bit. NIL, if they can get is great but if it's being squandered, it's a moot point from my perspective.

And to the point about limited spots in the WNBA. Even with expansion, it's still going to be a tough slog to make a roster. For the number of players who submit their names for consideration , the percentage who will make it will be low.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
No doubt it helps the women’s game to have the stars stick around for four years. I do think a combination of low pay in the W and nil opportunities in school will keep it from becoming a big issue. I’m not opposed to it as there are probably a few who feel that school just isn’t a good fit.
Like most of Mulkey's squad.

Reaction Score
I propose that athletes who get NIL deals should forfeit their scholarships. Scholarships should be for athletes who want to be student athletes. At this rate, it's becoming a business rather than an educational opportunity. I think, for both men and women's basketball, there should be a rule where they can turn pro after their Junior year rather than freshman year. It's killing the men's college game having all these guys just come, receive a scholarship, get NIL deals, just to leave after one year. It should be either enter the NBA draft your senior year of high school, or play in college and wait three years before going to the draft. Just my humble opinion.

Reaction Score
I propose that athletes who get NIL deals should forfeit their scholarships. Scholarships should be for athletes who want to be student athletes. At this rate, it's becoming a business rather than an educational opportunity. I think, for both men and women's basketball, there should be a rule where they can turn pro after their Junior year rather than freshman year. It's killing the men's college game having all these guys just come, receive a scholarship, get NIL deals, just to leave after one year. It should be either enter the NBA draft your senior year of high school, or play in college and wait three years before going to the draft. Just my humble opinion.
Define what you consider to be a NIL deal. The value of these vary. Some of these deals don't provide as much as you'd assume.

Reaction Score
Define what you consider to be a NIL deal. The value of these vary. Some of these deals don't provide as much as you'd assume.
I'm sure in a lot of smaller markets, they may be no more than hyping a local diner or sports store. Do a little influencing, get a couple of free burgers once a week...heck...I would have sold my soul for a pizza every now and then.

Reaction Score
I see your point. However, regardless of the value on the NIL, it's still a motivating factor influencing all these random transfers. You think Olson went to Iowa because she assessed that this team has a chance of winning the NCAA tournament or even a conference title? Absolutely not. She transfered there because the school is still high on Caitlin's career, and NIL offers will be more lucrative for Caitlin's "replacement". It definitely isn't academics either. I guess it made sense for Lucy to go to a school like Iowa. I just think about her teammates at Villanova and how they probably must affect seeing their leader abandon them. At the end of the day, I'm an absolute no one so my opinion on this subject doesn't really hold any merit.

Reaction Score
Yeah, there’s no way to do that fairly. Someone like Paige could do it but let’s say Amari had to do it. As far as I know, she has one NIL deal With a relatively small business. I doubt she gets enough compensation from that one deal to pay for her own way. There’s just too much variation in these kids remuneration! Some are millionaires while others probably don’t make enough to pay their rent.

Reaction Score
I got a better idea. Pay the men like the women in the W. That'll help keep them in school and the NBA would be able to drop ticket prices to $2.50. A win/win all around :)

Reaction Score
Probably the most honest phrase ever quoted is "The answer to all your questions is money.'' I would add to that "The answer to all your problems is money.'' What people lose sight of is that this NIL money, along with the inflationary prices in tickets, merchandise, cable fees and sports in general is that we are like sheep, willing to pay the exorbitant prices. And as icing on the cake we are willing to build stadiums for billionaires allowing them to become multi- billionaires.

Reaction Score
Probably the most honest phrase ever quoted is "The answer to all your questions is money.'' I would add to that "The answer to all your problems is money.'' What people lose sight of is that this NIL money, along with the inflationary prices in tickets, merchandise, cable fees and sports in general is that we are like sheep, willing to pay the exorbitant prices. And as icing on the cake we are willing to build stadiums for billionaires allowing them to become multi- billionaires.
This for the boost it provides the "local economy". Is this a North America thing, because I hear that line from politicians on both sides of the border. No idea if this plays well in Europe.

Reaction Score
The only problem here is that when we talk about the "local economy we are usually talking about the areas that are owned by the teams owners or corporate entities.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom