Geno's got TJ's back | The Boneyard

Geno's got TJ's back

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno's a big fan of the football team.

Geno Auriemma has some questions for UConn football fans.

To be clear, he's not criticizing anyone. He's merely asking questions — deep questions that at least require some thought.

"Are you waiting for us to give you a reason to be passionate or is your passion going to come every Saturday, every game?" asked the UConn women's Hall of Fame coach. "And is your passion going to spill out onto the team? Or are you waiting on the team to spill the passion onto you? Well, why don't we meet halfway?"

Auriemma Asks UConn Fans To Support Football Team Saturday

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If only the fans willed UConn to a win over Towson. Geno is funny sometimes.

Reaction Score

Well, despite the sarcasm, you are actually correct. Energy from the fans trickles down to the field and increases the teams level of play. A dead fan base with people walking out in droves in the middle of a game isn't exactly inspiring and doesn't exactly show anybody that the fans care. If the fans did, they actually would have stuck around until the end of the game.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well, despite the sarcasm, you are actually correct. Energy from the fans trickles down to the field and increases the teams level of play. A dead fan base with people walking out in droves in the middle of a game isn't exactly inspiring and doesn't exactly show anybody that the fans care. If the fans did, they actually would have stuck around until the end of the game.

Coming from the guy who edits his blog about being at the game. I'll cut through the irony.

There isn't a single program in the country who has the same fan performance for an FCS team as they do a Michigan. Never in a thousand years should things be so bad that UConn needs to feed off the fans to beat Towson.

I get Geno's overall point and I agree with most of what he says - but his comments re: Towson are ridiculous. Oh no one can argue against that if the fans had been better they might have won? Had they not been coached into oblivion the prior two years there would have been more than 20k in the house.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Delusional

That's you buddy. Some of us remember reading it. You even pretended that you were a third party and linked to it pretending you weren't the author. It's fairly pathetic watching you deny it - but I have to admit it's enjoyable.

Reaction Score
Geno is right about the passion, way off about Towson. That,had more to do with the relics on the sideline that thankfully, are longer there.

Reaction Score
Geno gets how football's success will help sustain his program's success (and all of UConn's, for that matter). To that end he should be selling his fanbase on the sport and getting some of their fannies to the Rent.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

it just never ends

there comes a point in time when the fans are tired of being the only ones with energy, two plus years of lackluster play (with a rare occasional exception) wears fans out

I think we're starting over

Reaction Score

He is not talking to us, his message is to the UConn fans not buying available tickets and failing to fill up the stadium every home game.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Yeah, seriously...

If those same people came we might have beaten Towson [attendance was 30,869]. Can't say we wouldn't have.

I can. Ironically, if we had two less in attendance that night (I think we all know what two guys I'm referring to), we would have won. We should have won that game if there were only 869 in attendance.

Reaction Score
Man if only we can get some of those thosands of elderly Women's Basketball fans over to the rent. I remember walking around the union after women's games, its like a retirement home! For some reason they just all love Geno

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Man if only we can get some of those thosands of elderly Women's Basketball fans over to the rent. I remember walking around the union after women's games, its like a retirement home! For some reason they just all love Geno

I'll give him this much: the dude makes a mean marinara sauce.

Reaction Score
That's you buddy. Some of us remember reading it. You even pretended that you were a third party and linked to it pretending you weren't the author. It's fairly pathetic watching you deny it - but I have to admit it's enjoyable.

Can we have this out in a separate thread? I'll get the popcorn.

Reaction Score
Can we have this out in a separate thread? I'll get the popcorn.

I'm in - once he provides one proof of evidence that his adament thinking that somehow I changed anything about being at the Towson game or changed a single word in that article after he read it is a fact. But that would be impossible seeing as how I sat through the Towson game start to finish and was one of the few hundred left to witness the near comeback and did not change the article whatsoever.

Do I deny I posted my own article on here with a link to a blog trying to get readers? Nope. But claiming I wasn't at the Towson game after calling out the fans is just dead wrong, not opinion, fact.

So, he can chew over that this lovely Friday morning and continue trying to prove something that he can't

I for one am looking forward to getting to the lots early tomorrow and watching Tim Boyle do his thing, while Whaler can continue to hold some type of grudge over who knows what.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm in - once he provides one proof of evidence that his adament thinking that somehow I changed anything about being at the Towson game or changed a single word in that article after he read it is a fact. But that would be impossible seeing as how I sat through the Towson game start to finish and was one of the few hundred left to witness the near comeback and did not change the article whatsoever.

Do I deny I posted my own article on here with a link to a blog trying to get readers? Nope. But claiming I wasn't at the Towson game after calling out the fans is just dead wrong, not opinion, fact.

So, he can chew over that this lovely Friday morning and continue trying to prove something that he can't

I for one am looking forward to getting to the lots early tomorrow and watching Tim Boyle do his thing, while Whaler can continue to hold some type of grudge over who knows what.

I'd drop it for today but there is an entire thread of evidence. And instead of responding to the discussion 07 actually edited the blog post and then linked to it saying - 'looks like he was there' - pretending he wasn't the author.

Seriously why you'd try and pretend you didn't do this is hard to understand - but knock yourself out. I don't know how many people read the original but everyone who did knows exactly what happened.

Reaction Score
I'd drop it for today but there is an entire thread of evidence. And instead of responding to the discussion 07 actually edited the blog post and then linked to it saying - 'looks like he was there' - pretending he wasn't the author.

Seriously why you'd try and pretend you didn't do this is hard to understand - but knock yourself out. I don't know how many people read the original but everyone who did knows exactly what happened.

It was a link to a DIFFERENT article, not a revised one.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It was a link to a DIFFERENT article, not a revised one.

LOL yeah it just so happened the girlfriend's period material was so golden it needed to be used in consecutive posts.

I do enjoy your overall Constanza approach though.

Reaction Score
Not hard to see I'll post each for you so you can go back and reread:

http://ghandination.blogspot.com/2013/09/whining.html (critcizing the fanbase)

http://ghandination.blogspot.com/2013/09/letter-to-warde-manuel-day-after.html (letter to Warde)

Two separate articles that you claim to be the same.

You edited the original blogpost. There is no way for me to prove it other than seeing it with my own 2 eyes. You talked about hooking up your new TV just in time to watch this game. Jesus just stop.

Reaction Score
You edited the original blogpost. There is no way for me to prove it other than seeing it with my own 2 eyes. You talked about hooking up your new TV just in time to watch this game. Jesus just stop.

You mean this line that is clearly still in the original post?

"Watching the 60” behemoth of a flat-screen (thank you honey) that sits in my living room with wide eyes and a huge smile, as I welcomed college football back with open arms this past weekend; it was hard not to see what separates UCONN from the rest of the country that is so rabid and passionate about the sport."

No editing.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
it just never ends

there comes a point in time when the fans are tired of being the only ones with energy, two plus years of lackluster play (with a rare occasional exception) wears fans out

I think we're starting over
Towson seems so long ago. Heck even the Buffalo game seems like it was last year.

It is a rare and eerie feeling but I don't think it is difficult to think of this team as 0-0 right now. That is the difference between projecting future results based on past performance and having a clean slate. Coach Weist did not have full control of the team for the past month and a half and the unknown future carries a certain excitement.

Reaction Score
[quote="Husky25, post: 718577, member: 2839"It is a rare and eerie feeling but I don't think it is difficult to think of this team as 0-0 right now. [/quote]

Well stated. I feel the same way too. It's like minor league baseball where some leagues have a separate set of second half standings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom