Geno's comments...from ESPN...hmm | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno's comments...from ESPN...hmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What he says to reporters and fans, and what he says to top recruits I would suspect are two different things. He only needs 7 more wins to surpass both Van Der Vere and K.
After his next 7 wins he could ikely be 8 wins behind Van Der Vere

Reaction Score
After his next 7 wins he could ikely be 8 wins behind Van Der Vere
Seriously I don’t think he cares at all about “wins”, let Tara keep racking up “wins” over Cal Poly, UC Davis, San Diego St, Portland, Cal, and Loyola Marymount. The great Pat Summitt never cared about racking up wins, but she did care about National Championships and had 8 of them until Geno came along and now has 11 and still counting. A number that K, Calhoun, Tara, Bob Knight, or Dean Smith never dreamed of.

Reaction Score
Seriously I don’t think he cares at all about “wins”, let Tara keep racking up “wins” over Cal Poly, UC Davis, San Diego St, Portland, Cal, and Loyola Marymount. The great Pat Summitt never cared about racking up wins, but she did care about National Championships and had 8 of them until Geno came along and now has 11 and still counting. A number that K, Calhoun, Tara, Bob Knight, or Dean Smith never dreamed of.
Actually they are wins. She also plays in the Pac-12, so be careful about that. Massey has the Stanford final SOS as 13 where UConn is 7 - not much difference there. I don't understand why the snarky comments on this post about Tara like she doesn't deserve it. It's possible to recognize both of them as outstanding coaches. Good lord.

Reaction Score
Geno has been reenergized by the freshmen and that's only going to get better next year with the incoming class of gung-ho recruits........I think he spoke the truth when he said that he would retire when he can no longer get the kind of players that he wants at UConn.........

Reaction Score
I sometimes tell students I’m on the verge of retirement. Now it’s almost true. I get where Geno is coming from. We’re almost the same age. It becomes a part of one’s rhetoric for dealing with kids. Letting them think about where you are in life is a way of focusing them on what they want to accomplish with you.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don’t think Vandy will ever join the 3 millllion dollar club for wbb coaches but UConn would offer enough incentives to make that possible for a coach that could maintain the program at the consistent Top Four level.
Yeah, of course Connecticut next Coach might not be paid north of $3 million unless of course, you know, we hired Staley away from you guys.;)

Do you have any idea what Shea is getting paid now? I took a quick look but because Vandy is a private institution, it's not readily available online.

Reaction Score
Yeah, of course Connecticut next Coach might not be paid north of $3 million unless of course, you know, we hired Staley away from you guys.;)

Do you have any idea what Shea is getting paid now? I took a quick look but because Vandy is a private institution, it's not readily available online.
Oh, your next coach will not sniff 3 million in SALARY. But I think she will have incentives built into her first contract to allow her to join the coaches at that pay level.

Let’s face it. Following Geno is not an enviable challenge. Rare rare rare is the coach who can live up to fan expectations following a legend

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Let’s face it. Following Geno is not an enviable challenge. Rare rare rare is the coach who can live up to fan expectations following a legend
Kelly Harper suffers from this still, even though she’s the second one to occupy Pat’s courtside seat.

Reaction Score
Have you seen her lately? She’s slowed down a lot. I think she’s slightly older than Geno btw.
She’s 9 months older. 6/53 to 3/54. I admit I haven’t seen her run, but I hear she swims a lot.

Reaction Score
Actually they are wins. She also plays in the Pac-12, so be careful about that. Massey has the Stanford final SOS as 13 where UConn is 7 - not much difference there. I don't understand why the snarky comments on this post about Tara like she doesn't deserve it. It's possible to recognize both of them as outstanding coaches. Good lord.
She only plays in the PAC 12 when she wants to, even this years season of 23-24, Tara played 11 non conference and mostly cupcake games before her team played its first league game. Look at UConn winning 11 National Championships vs 3, are you serious? Where was UConn Womens Basketball when Van Der Vere won her 1st NC in 1990 for a very prestigious school named Stanford University, she had everything going for her, while UConn’s senior class that year had already played 3 of their years in the old UConn field house, leaky roof and all. What Geno Auriemma did at UConn is on par with what Vince Lombardi did at Green Bay Wisconsin.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
What he says to reporters and fans, and what he says to top recruits I would suspect are two different things. He only needs 7 more wins to surpass both Van Der Vere and K.
Except VanDerveer is going to keep adding to her total. Unless she retires soon, I doubt if GA will catch her.

Reaction Score
And if not Shea or Carla, remember that Chris Dailey could make a few transition years.
and Jamelle is also well prepared

Reaction Score
Except VanDerveer is going to keep adding to her total. Unless she retires soon, I doubt if GA will catch her.
First one to blink, loses.

Tata might swim a lot, but I bet Geno puts away more vino :)

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
And if not Shea or Carla, remember that Chris Dailey could make a few transition years.
and Jamelle is also well prepared
Chris has said when Geno goes, she goes. As much as I appreciate her contributions as an asst coach, Jamelle's coaching stint at Cincinnati didn't impress. If UConn stays in the family, my top picks (with actual coaching experience) w/b Shea and Carla, however Shea may want to stay "home" in the south. A real pipe dream would be Shea and Carla in the roles of Geno and CD. Perfecto! ;):D

Reaction Score
As I’ve said elsewhere, it all depends on how much longer Tara wants to coach. Some think she’s lost her edge, but she’s put together a good team this year even losing Betts. And she looks happy on the sidelines.

If she cares about the record — I suspect she doesn’t — she’ll wait until Geno retires before she does. But she’s in an unusual position, with her main competitor shadowing her in career tenure and wins so closely. I guess this is more testimony to a great generation of coaches in WBB. Pat and Geno and Tara and Muffet built the sport into what it is today, so naturally they’d be statistically close.

Reaction Score
She only plays in the PAC 12 when she wants to, even this years season of 23-24, Tara played 11 non conference and mostly cupcake games before her team played its first league game. Look at UConn winning 11 National Championships vs 3, are you serious? Where was UConn Womens Basketball when Van Der Vere won her 1st NC in 1990 for a very prestigious school named Stanford University, she had everything going for her, while UConn’s senior class that year had already played 3 of their years in the old UConn field house, leaky roof and all. What Geno Auriemma did at UConn is on par with what Vince Lombardi did at Green Bay Wisconsin.
Both coaches built programs into national contenders. Geno, Pat, and Tara all deserve respect for building College WBB into what it is today. As a Big East fan growing up I wish football hadn’t destroyed the old Big East and UConn hadn’t had to play 7 seasons in the AAC.

Stanford women’s basketball wasn’t relevant nationally until Tara took over. She won a national championship her 5th season at Stanford and has been to 15 final fours. She left Ohio State for the challenge of building a program at Stanford. Geno won a national championship in his 10th season at UConn and been to 22 final fours.

Last edited:

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Really and truly appreciate your disrespect for Tara. The fact you chose to misspell her name is the cherry on top of the cake.

Reaction Score
While it is true that catching up to Tara at present is not looking easy, let’s remember that we have been held down these past three years due to this unbelievable injury streak. Hopefully, next year we will have a fully healthy team that will surely be among the top three in the nation. Undefeated seems a bridge too far these days (though SC is making a good run at it) but I think it’s fair to say we could be at the 1-3 loss level next year. We also have at least two top players (#4 &18) coming with the possibility of the #1 player as well! Meanwhile, Stanford is losing their superstar big and at present has two recruits in the 40s and one at 86 for next year. Stanford’s roster, unless Brink and Jump return for their Covid year, is going to decline. Our’s on the other hand, is going to get precipitously stronger! I think it’s possible, if not likely, that Stanford will lose more games than UConn in the coming three or four years. I think Geno will overtake Tara, if he continues coaching, within four years! He is currently six games behind. I think, given Tara’s losses next year (and no top stars to replace them) it’s not unreasonable at all to think we will win two more games than Stanford. (unless Tara just plays a cupcake schedule over that time)
Of course, this is based on them both staying for those four years!

Reaction Score
Geno is a great coach who highly likely is going to become the winningest coach in college basketball at some point in the next 1 to 3 years. Stanford is likely going to struggle next year and is doing slightly better this year than I expected.

Not sure I get the dispersions on Stanford for playing a “cupcake” schedule. The PAC-12 is the #1 conference according to Massey and the ACC is currently the #3 ranked conference.

UConn needs to play a strong non-conference to get a #1 or #2 seed because for the past 11 years UConn has played in conferences currently ranked 6th and 7th according to Massey.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
UConn needs to play a strong non-conference to get a #1 or #2 seed because for the past 11 years UConn has played in conferences currently ranked 6th and 7th according to Massey.

I don't think they need to play a strong non-conf schedule for that reason. They'd be an easy #1 seed if they went undefeated regardless of schedule. Geno sees no point in playing poor competition.

GG

Reaction Score
Chris has said when Geno goes, she goes. As much as I appreciate her contributions as an asst coach, Jamelle's coaching stint at Cincinnati didn't impress. If UConn stays in the family, my top picks (with actual coaching experience) w/b Shea and Carla, however Shea may want to stay "home" in the south. A real pipe dream would be Shea and Carla in the roles of Geno and CD. Perfecto! ;):D
I am a big fan of Carla. She fan coach.

Reaction Score
He meant it. Look for Coach Geno to retire at the end of the season. He has nothing left to prove. And the team will only get worse next year. He means it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom